Out of shape instructors/trainers

Just recently a new "mma" gym has relocated next to the jiu jitsu gym that i train at. 

they relocated because they were kicked out of their last premises when their lease ran out. i know the black belt from years ago, nice enough guy.

anyway, the rest of the trainers are fairly decent enough guys from what i've been told so i guess they have a "good blokes" type atmosphere going on at their gym.

However, all of the trainers, and i mean all of the trainers are fucking disgustingly overweight. you could argue that they have that lumberjack build but that's being optimistic. they're fat fucks.

i saw them today at the local mall which is next to the gym and they were all eating hot chips and junk food. 

now, as a student of theirs, would this bother you? it sure as shit would bother me. but i guess i'm the type of guy who sort of wants to train with higher level guys. shit, i've trained with world champs, adcc competitors, ufc fighters, national and state level champs. the fuck i'm going to train with a bunch of fat fucks who don't produce anyone. 

but i guess they are a bunch of good blokes. fuck some people are stupid

What are hot chips? I want some hot chips. Phone Post 3.0

you yanks might know them better as french fries, fries whatever the fuck potato sliced up and fried in oil. 

fat doesnt mean outta shape fren

signed,fat boy

Are the people who train under them in good shape? That would be hilarious if someone joined their school and gained 25 lbs. Phone Post 3.0

tough to say I agree with rockthevote. there are some sloppy fat guys who shouldn't be training with anyone and then there are guys that are like Fedor.

Ray longo is a great striking coach and he's not the smallest guy.

On a side I was at a tournament recently and a school who's style is "smash" had some really out of shape guys walking around. For their sake I hope they are not getting these out of shape guys and not encouraging them to loose weight since it will help them "smash"

Twizz - Are the people who train under them in good shape? That would be hilarious if someone joined their school and gained 25 lbs. Phone Post 3.0

25 lbs of SOLID BEEF BABY

Man I'm a tool.

out

I could see there being maybe ONE fat guy living in Australia, but ALL of the trainers? Are you sure you aren't talking about a gym in the U.S.? Seriously, I think trainers have a social responsibility to eat right and present a good image, on the practical side why eat foods ( as a lifestyle, rather than occasional) that are detrimental to all that arduous training? I don't understand it either.

I like my instructors to be solid, thick and tight. I like guys that are built like Chieck Kongo, if there not built like Congo than they at the very least have to have something good about them if you know what I mean.

I prefer an instructor who is under 40 years old, but if they are built like Congo or professor Elias Caique I will make an exception.

So you wouldn't train under Carlson jr Phone Post 3.0

My instructors are soldiers and Greg Thomson (sp?) is pretty fit Phone Post 3.0

Lol Phone Post 3.0

Windy City - I like my instructors to be solid, thick and tight. I like guys that are built like Chieck Kongo, if there not built like Congo than they at the very least have to have something good about them if you know what I mean.

I prefer an instructor who is under 40 years old, but if they are built like Congo or professor Elias Caique I will make an exception.

haha....checkkongo got nothing on caique.   

I wouldn't pay an extremely overweight instructor to train me. Personal preference. Call my close-minded if you must. Phone Post 3.0

Connection principle AKA invisible jiu jitsu is argueably aided by a bigger build. My instructor isn't built like a fighter, but goddamn he feels light as a feather when he wants to disengage and pass my guard.

circusmonkey - I could see there being maybe ONE fat guy living in Australia, but ALL of the trainers? Are you sure you aren't talking about a gym in the U.S.? Seriously, I think trainers have a social responsibility to eat right and present a good image, on the practical side why eat foods ( as a lifestyle, rather than occasional) that are detrimental to all that arduous training? I don't understand it either.

NEWSFLASH, 6 pack abs are usually a sign of being underfed. Fedor's build was no accident - not only did he have a degree in sports science but a degree in nutrition. I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing and his build was not a result of a poor diet but an EXCELLENT ONE. This steady state dieting isn't what our bodies adapted to over the course of human development, we experienced many periods of feast and famine. Our individual diets have a lot more to do with our ancestral origins rather than what the latest studies say is optimal. Someone with strong Tarahumara ancestry will need a different diet than someone from Russia. Compare the diet and build of the Native American's who adapted to the great plains to someone from an Inuit tribe.

Hippos are extremely dangerous.

This thread made me realize how little Australian slang I know

true story. went with some friends to work some wrestling at a club in upstate NY many moons ago. Coach Demeo was the wrestling coach. Demeo is very out of shape. Very overweight and looks about the opposite of athletic as you can guess. I thought to myself, no way is this guy the coach.

Here are some of his credentials:

Men's Wrestling
• 2 Olympic Champions
• 11 Olympians
• 47 World Team Members
• 279 US National Champions
• 271 Collegiate Dual Meet Wins
• he was the 4 Time Head Coach of the US Greco Roman World Team
• and 16 Time Assistant Coach of the US Greco Roman World Team
• 4 Time Assistant Coach of the US Olympic Team

Don't judge a book by its cover. Some of the best coaches out there are not in shape. who knows how they got that way. You want to admire your coach's body or do you want to learn proper technique?

I understand if it's under the premise that you need the coach to be one of your training partners in the event you're an upper belt, but as far as ability to teach and skills, you're off the mark.