Out of shape instructors/trainers

I've said it before, but... I won't train with ANY instructor who isn't cut.  If I don't like what I see, I simply won't pay attention. Period.

A swimmer's build is cool, but I generally like to see a bit muscle on an instructor. That's what bugs me about Ryron & Rener Gracie; they need to focus more on the pecs.

Saulo too is a decent teacher BUT to be a great teacher, he needs to work on ab definition. --Get that shit chiseled!

BTW, a killer smile doesn't hurt either.  Just being real.

Where are you based OP ? Phone Post 3.0

These cunts weren't fedor builds ok.

The funny thing is they have a website. But in real life these fatsos have added on another person.

Just to reiterate these trainers aren't a Roy Nelson type or fedor type. They are beyond them.

Young as well

Hywel Teague -
checkuroil - So you wouldn't train under Carlson jr Phone Post 3.0

or Rigan Machado
Or John Goodman (if he trained) Phone Post 3.0

shen -

I've said it before, but... I won't train with ANY instructor who isn't cut.  If I don't like what I see, I simply won't pay attention. Period.

A swimmer's build is cool, but I generally like to see a bit muscle on an instructor. That's what bugs me about Ryron & Rener Gracie; they need to focus more on the pecs.

Saulo too is a decent teacher BUT to be a great teacher, he needs to work on ab definition. --Get that shit chiseled!

BTW, a killer smile doesn't hurt either.  Just being real.

Every time I see you post something like this on a thread like this it makes el oh el mad hard. Yaaaaaaaay!!!!! Phone Post 3.0

Well if you train with them, at least you won't have to worry about a tough warmup.

checkuroil - So you wouldn't train under Carlson jr Phone Post 3.0
He's paid his dues. Dude competed, was on the Brazilian Pan-Am Greco Roman team, etc...

I personally don't care if an instructor is in shape. I'm paying to learn from them. Phone Post 3.0

op seems a little too concerned if you know what I'm saying Phone Post 3.0

Gianni Whitesocks - What are hot chips? I want some hot chips. Phone Post 3.0
More about these hot chips please...

I like learning about foreign food! Phone Post 3.0

checkuroil - So you wouldn't train under Carlson jr Phone Post 3.0
Best built Gracie in Chicago...fact! Phone Post 3.0

It does seem an odd way to out himself Phone Post 3.0

Meh. My coach doesn't have a six pack and his pretty good at Bjj. He also likes hot chips and beer.

I like KFC Phone Post 3.0

Im pretty big on BJJ instructors setting examples for students and being ambassadors of the art.  I think that a big part of it is being in shape and resembling the BJJ message and all that comes with it.  

porra -
Gianni Whitesocks - What are hot chips? I want some hot chips. Phone Post 3.0
More about these hot chips please...

I like learning about foreign food! Phone Post 3.0
Freedom fries Phone Post 3.0

My instructor told us he wanted to be a model for us. He's fit competes and dies mma. He does all the exercises with us and is always around when needed. As do the others Phone Post 3.0

In my experience, there are great coaches out there who are out of shape due to major injury. (Pretty common in a combat sport wouldn't you say?)

Train with the coaches with the best credentials, not the best abs.

As for the "under 40" comment...do you want a coach or a training partner? The 2 are not the same.

My Ajarn is 52 with 25 years experience (solid as a rock still)
My favorite bjj blackbelts have all been around or over 40. More knowledge, better communication.

All that aside, they have a responsibility to stay current and to at least be healthy if not in the best shape. Phone Post 3.0

Serious question to those that think the instructor must me jacked and dead sexy:

Is that part of what motivates you to train? By that I mean does being around an in shape instructor help motivate you? Phone Post 3.0

If so to a certain extent I can understand that...I just feel that the type of motivation that lasts forever is more internal...and perseveres even when external motivated change or disappear. Phone Post 3.0

I see this need for external motivation in healthcare a lot too. I'm a dietitian by trade and I can't tell you how times I've heard obese patients say to me "The doctor wants me to lose weight and HE'S 50 pounds over weight too!"

I respond with my usual "And what does that have to do with your situation?" Phone Post 3.0

I think the internally motivated are more emotionally developed and don't look at things that way...

And perhaps the emotionally stunted are more easily distracted and need to hear information, healthcare advice or BJJ stuff, from someone who looks the role? Phone Post 3.0