Over population of deer threatening forest health

4-day deer hunt approved at Blue Hills Reservation

BOSTON (AP) - The state has approved four days of deer hunting at Blue Hills State Reservation.

The "controlled" hunt was announced Wednesday as part of a deer management plan for the 7,000-acre reservation, where officials say the deer population has exploded and is threatening the long-term health of the forest.

Deer hunting has long been outlawed on the reservation.

State biologists estimate there are currently 85 deer per square mile of forest habitat, well above what is deemed a healthy population level.

The dates for the hunt will be Nov. 30, Dec. 1, Dec. 7 and Dec. 8, taking place during the state's normal shotgun season.

Hunting will be allowed on 3,000 acres of the reservation from 5 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Officials say environmental police will strictly enforce all hunting regulations

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/30264333/4-day-deer-hunt-approved-at-blue-hills-reservation

85 deer per sq mile!!

Who'da thunk? Phone Post 3.0

The reservation is just minutes from downtown Boston, the DCR Blue Hills
Reservation stretches over 7,000 acres from Quincy to Dedham, Milton Ma.

What do they expect... Humans either killed or pushed out their natural predators then said to humans "you can only hunt in these areas and at certain times".

reintroduce the wolves I say :)

Berserker - 

What do they expect... Humans either killed or pushed out their natural predators then said to humans "you can only hunt in these areas and at certain times".

It sounds cool but I'd hate to be jogging down a rural path and get surrounded, then torn apart by a pack of wolves.

Blue Hills Reservation must be the China of deer habitats

That's a whole lotta deer fucking

I can't imagine 85 deer per sq mile!!

I thend to see 85 hunters per sq mile, when the sun comes up you see so much hunter orange it's like a pumpkin patch

Similar situation in Valley Forge National park. Difference was they hired professional hunters to cull the heard from 241 deer per square mile to 35. first year 600 deer were culled and 21,000 lbs of venison donated to local food banks.

Lots of homeless and families on food stamps. Put all that meat to good use and allow it to be used for people who need it. I know several areas have done this with wild pigs. Phone Post 3.0

icedog11 - Similar situation in Valley Forge National park. Difference was they hired professional hunters to cull the heard from 241 deer per square mile to 35. first year 600 deer were culled and 21,000 lbs of venison donated to local food banks.

i htought 85 per sq mi was a lot

but 241?!?!?

wtf??? what is a normal/healthy capita per sq mi., typically, for deer?

There must be some monster bucks in there.

"Shoot 'em in the face!"

-Bill Burr Phone Post 3.0

LittleJoeMama - 
Berserker - 

It sounds cool but I'd hate to be jogging down a rural path and get surrounded, then torn apart by a pack of wolves.

Contrary to popular beliefs, wolves don't kill people, at least not as common as you think they way they are portrayed in media. I think there has been 1 reported death of a human from a wolf attack between Alaska and Canada in the last century. You have more worries getting attacked by wild turkey's than you do wolves.

SallymeetsHarrySack -
LittleJoeMama - 
Berserker - 

Contrary to popular beliefs, wolves don't kill people, at least not as common as you think they way they are portrayed in media. I think there has been 1 reported death of a human from a wolf attack between Alaska and Canada in the last century. You have more worries getting attacked by wild turkey's than you do wolves.

What about turkey attacks on wolves? Phone Post 3.0

Just to give some of you an idea about the numbers. Iowa has a crapload of deer, we are pretty well known for it. At the beginning of the hunting season the herd will be around 275,000. Which puts us at about 5 deer/sq mile.

In 2001 79 deer were hit and killed on Valley Forge park roads, with less than 20 miles of road ways. the number was significantly higher if you count roads just outside the park, accounting for 10% of road kill deer in the entire state of PA.

icedog11 - In 2001 79 deer were hit and killed on Valley Forge park roads, with less than 20 miles of road ways. the number was significantly higher if you count roads just outside the park, accounting for 10% of road kill deer in the entire state of PA.

I hear the deer in PA have large herd sizes but they don't get much bigger than a large German Shepard?