Over population of deer threatening forest health

You can't kill deer by being drunk and cursing at them :) Phone Post 3.0

So killing all the predator turned out to be bad for the eco system?

Russfromlowell - 
icedog11 - In 2001 79 deer were hit and killed on Valley Forge park roads, with less than 20 miles of road ways. the number was significantly higher if you count roads just outside the park, accounting for 10% of road kill deer in the entire state of PA.

I hear the deer in PA have large herd sizes but they don't get much bigger than a large German Shepard?

bigger than a GSD but not sure how they would measure up to other areas deer. I would think they get pretty large tons of corn farmed in the area and they live mostly in the park which has been no hunting for ever.

from the park.

http://www.naturallyamazing.com/americasparks/12994.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-b8ZI23ZxRYo/UuDvVoLlctI/AAAAAAAAGos/SkHBdOEmJfQ/s1600/Twenty+Deer.jpg

I commute through the park every day before the cull I would pass on average several hundred deer a day, would travel through early am and at dusk. deer would feed right on the shoulder of the road when there was traffic the passenger side of your car would be a few feet from them. They wouldn't even budge just would look at you.

tjmitch - There must be some monster bucks in there.

I doubt it. They're probably all small and malnourished.

jdsga - 
tjmitch - There must be some monster bucks in there.

I doubt it. They're probably all small and malnourished.

believe it or not the deer population was healthy, the park is surrounded by suburban subdivisions with tasty gardens and farms producing primarily corn. These were the driving force behind the cull.

LittleJoeMama -
Berserker - 

What do they expect... Humans either killed or pushed out their natural predators then said to humans "you can only hunt in these areas and at certain times".

reintroduce the wolves I say :)

It sounds cool but I'd hate to be jogging down a rural path and get surrounded, then torn apart by a pack of wolves.
Wolves generally do the utmost to avoid humans... If a wolf attacks you its either rabid or you're fucking with its pups. Phone Post 3.0

cbia - Just to give some of you an idea about the numbers. Iowa has a crapload of deer, we are pretty well known for it. At the beginning of the hunting season the herd will be around 275,000. Which puts us at about 5 deer/sq mile.

Don't lie, Nobody talks about Iowa. Phone Post 3.0

LittleJoeMama -
Berserker - 

What do they expect... Humans either killed or pushed out their natural predators then said to humans "you can only hunt in these areas and at certain times".

reintroduce the wolves I say :)

It sounds cool but I'd hate to be jogging down a rural path and get surrounded, then torn apart by a pack of wolves.
I would love to be torn apart by a pack of wolves. Far better than a slow death as an old man. Phone Post 3.0