Overhand right advice.

As a tall guy with a long reach the Fedor, Roy Nelson or hendo overhand right is way too telegraphed for me. A little too windmilly for me.

I can land the classic boxing overhand, the one that you kick up your elbow and throw it as more of a downward cross. Not as much power as I hoped for but it is as accurate as hell. Slips around the big gloves well.

Any long armed punchers have any advice on the overhand? I want to get more loop and power behind it but not telegraph it.

Until Wolfman..

Im no pro but in my experience throwing an overhand right the way alot of guys do in mma is a sure way to get yourself knocked out against a competent boxer. I have long limbs and have some problems when they get too close to me. So i use alot of uppercuts, and ironically the overhand right as they come in. I drop my weight a little without dropping my guard and snap it as fast as i can. Otherwise im keeping my distance with hard straights. My friend knocks guys out left and right with an overhand right but only because guys drop their guards when they get hit in the body, plus hes a heavyweight and ex golden glove champ. You dont want loop in your punch. The shorter and straighter the angle, the more power, every time. I dont use the overhand too much, i prefer uppercuts because they tend to be a similiar range for me unless i drop my guard, which i dont like to do unless the other guy is hurt. Dont watch mma for tips on boxing, you will get yourself hurt. Just my opinion. Not sure if it helps or not.<br /><br />-edit It also really depends on what style of fighter you are. Getting more power with that punch usually means guys dropping their guard. If you talk to you coach, just practice the technique over and over and over, eventually you will feel it when its right and your coach will tell you when your doing something stupid to leave yourself open. Also, watch mike tyson.

Uppercuts are my best friend =]

Darwin, I have been a boxing fan since 6 or 7.. I am 29 now. The sweet science is something I adore. I don't ever attempt to throw boxer's names in discussion here because most idiots here just say they would get smashed by Jon Jones regardless of the rules.

Your advice is one of knowledge and I appreciate the valid response. Expect a pm soon frien.

Me too, they usually dont see it and its a great feeling to see them out on their feet lol.

Happiness Bunny - Darwin, I have been a boxing fan since 6 or 7.. I am 29 now. The sweet science is something I adore. I don't ever attempt to throw boxer's names in discussion here because most idiots here just say they would get smashed by Jon Jones regardless of the rules.

Your advice is one of knowledge and I appreciate the valid response. Expect a pm soon frien.

Anyone whos been around mma long enough knows damn well that its a two way street between boxing and mma. A boxer has no business in a cage with an mma guy, and an mma guy has no business in the ring with a boxer.

If you are too tall for most conventional overhands to work for you, you should probably stick to varying your angles that you fire off your straights from.

Are you setting down on your right hand? Punching through and turning it over? Are you on your heels or balls of your feet? Throwing arm punches or your whole body? Post a vid. Too many things that COULD be the issue to guess. A vid would make it easier to help you. Phone Post

darwinsmunky - 
Happiness Bunny - Darwin, I have been a boxing fan since 6 or 7.. I am 29 now. The sweet science is something I adore. I don't ever attempt to throw boxer's names in discussion here because most idiots here just say they would get smashed by Jon Jones regardless of the rules.

Anyone whos been around mma long enough knows damn well that its a two way street between boxing and mma. A boxer has no business in a cage with an mma guy, and an mma guy has no business in the ring with a boxer.

^ TRUTH!! This guy is awesome.

I'm no expert so take my advice for what it's worth, which probably isn't much. I wouldn't really recommend overhands at all, I much prefer to stay technical and tight, sticking to straight punches, uppercuts in close and clinch range and counter left hooks.

If you want to throw overhand rights though I think it's really important to set them up. Someone said not to take boxing notes from MMA, which is probably generally good advice, but despite that I would say watch JDS vs Mark Hunt. Junior sets the overhand right up with the jab to the body really well. After landing a lot of body jabs eventually he follows it up with the big looping right, which hurt Hunt more than once if I remember correctly. Phone Post 3.0

minotauro11 - I'm no expert so take my advice for what it's worth, which probably isn't much. I wouldn't really recommend overhands at all, I much prefer to stay technical and tight, sticking to straight punches, uppercuts in close and clinch range and counter left hooks.

If you want to throw overhand rights though I think it's really important to set them up. Someone said not to take boxing notes from MMA, which is probably generally good advice, but despite that I would say watch JDS vs Mark Hunt. Junior sets the overhand right up with the jab to the body really well. After landing a lot of body jabs eventually he follows it up with the big looping right, which hurt Hunt more than once if I remember correctly. Phone Post 3.0

I agree, you have to set them up. Its all about the guard baby.

It is almost midnight.. I knew the Wolfman would strike...

that sounds pretty metal.

Bass solo

Dan? Are you a fan of Inoki?

I'm lanky... In. Phone Post 3.0

Innn Phone Post 3.0

Part of what makes the overhand right effective in MMA is the threat of a take down. I wouldn't suggest using it much for a pure boxing match as it is unlikely that your opponents stance will be disrupted enough to prevent a counter. Unless they are in the process of throwing something.

Happiness Bunny - As a tall guy with a long reach the Fedor, Roy Nelson or hendo overhand right is way too telegraphed for me. A little too windmilly for me.

I can land the classic boxing overhand, the one that you kick up your elbow and throw it as more of a downward cross. Not as much power as I hoped for but it is as accurate as hell. Slips around the big gloves well.

Any long armed punchers have any advice on the overhand? I want to get more loop and power behind it but not telegraph it.

Set up with a body jab (a la the Tim Witherspoon "Can Opener").

If you're genuinely tall, also often be trying to clip him in the top corner of his head (temple) or behind his gloves if he's reaching forward too much.

Time it for sometime his hand is just a couple of inches too low. That extra split second really lets you go over the top.

For the motion of the actual punch....experiment with exagerating your own head movement with the punch, see what kind of angles it gives you (offensively and defensively)

I am a tall person, and I "perfected" my overhand right from Chuck's videos. It's my most powerful strike, and my left hook is stronger than my cross (for refference).
Chuck demonstrates in the videos bellow, how to achieve the swing/windmill motion with your hand. But the key to not telegraphing it, is to achieve the same effect with your body, not the arm, as motion is relative, so if your center of gravity moves in relation to your arm, it's exactly the same as vice versa.
Differential movements compliment this perfectly, moving each part of the body, one after the other, not at the same time, will create this effect. Like if you throw a ball from a moving car at 30kmph (ball), while the car is moving at 100 kmph, than the ball is traveling at 130 kmph in relation to the ground.
Hope this helps.

Here are the videos I studied:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqf42bsTXnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgyMhMeeAiQ

and there was also this one released recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ZGZNw0xAc

Adding:
I practiced differential movements, by resting my hand on a pole (it offers every angle/strike as opposed to a wall, that offers only one), than achieving the tension without moving my arm, only the body, one part after the other, and than "swinging" myself away from it, with the achieved tension. I used the same technique for practicing getting the full hip swing on my kicks.