Overlooked about Honda

While I do agree with the disparity with Honda's strength and athleticism over her opponents (same could be said about Cyborg of course but with pharmacutical help in addition ;p), I do think the one thing being over looked is that she has brought a great transition from judo to MMA and while using pretty othrodox judo in the ring.

With Fedor twilight days seeing a pretty big drop in his judo and overall grappling ability, with high level judo guys like Sexyama and Omigawa pretty much abandoning their judo skills for their hand and Olympic champ Ishii seem to not really be able to transition his game, its refreshing to see someone like Honda just go to her judo and make it work so well. I also think that much like American collegiate wrestlers credit that background with preparing them for the tough grind that is MMA, you have to also remember that while Honda of today does seem like a physical specimen, women's judo is also the most competitive international combat sport and its been in the Olympics since I believe 1980.

I didnt see the Kaufman fight but from what I saw of the gif of the clinch to td, she still seems like he is able to muscle her opponents but she is also able to use her judo technique and skill to catch her opponents as well. Kaufman defended the first few hip toss attempts (which is partially due to the fence too imo) but Honda caught her with a kouchi-gari in combination with the hip toss which is a standard judo combo but rarely seen in MMA. When you get it, its something that does not require much muscle at all and that is what Honda got Kaufman down with.

The biggest challenge for a judo person coming into MMA is the loss of the gi. IMO if you are a judoka who liked leg attacks or did a lot of wrestling type moves (like the Russians, etc), it may be an easier transition to use your judo without the gi but to do more orthodox judo in MMA, there is a big adaption to make in doing it without the gi. Jim Heites also comes to mind when he was tossing Nam Phan at will in that fight. Sexy, when he actually attempted it, was able to execute some nice ones like the couple of picture perfect ones on Shields and also threw guys who arent normally tossed around that much like Belcher and Leben. Not sure he attempted a single clinch or throw in Bisping. Omigawa has used some nice trips to set up his clinch but both Sexy and Omigawa do not use it enough imo.

Honda's training with Judo Gene and Karo I'm sure is no small part since Gene has been involved with MMA type stuff forever and Karo is still the standard when it comes to orthodox judo throws in MMA. Ive seen Honda training with Karo and she seems very comfortable, like Karo, in the clinch without the gi.

I hope more judoka make their way into mma; it's a pleasure to watch when they utilize it well.

TTT

There has been enough imo but perhaps Honda has the added advantages of that physical strength over her opponents when some of the Japanese judokas do not as well as the training in the US.

Like Ishii's clinch game does not seem nearly as good as Honda's though i suppose its not fair to use the Fedor fight as an example. Against Filho, Filho is was a high level judoka himself and also a strong and experienced MMA guy but Ishii outsized him and Filho wasnt exactly on top of his game and Ishii didnt have near the effectivess in the clinch as I thought he could. He seemed rather passive. Honda has a great aggressive, go for it style.

The other thing I should add is that unlike other judo guys, Honda has a ground game to go with her throws. Sexy has had some of the sickest throws we've seen in MMA when he actually uses his judo but really lacks a ground game to compliment it. The 2 picture perfect throws he got on Shields ended up with nothing but Shields getting back up for example. Omigawa has a decent ground game i think but just isnt really able to put his game together.

People never mention Rick hawn and it pisses me off. Rick uses his judo well. Jim hetes is another guy who beasts guys with judo. Phone Post

I think the overlooked thing about Honda is their durability. I've had a CRV and a Civic for well over 7 years each and I've never had a single issue with either. Regular maintenance and oil changes and some TLC get you a long way. Phone Post

I find it ironic that, aside from Ronda, some of the best "judo" you see in MMA today isn't even from judoka. I am referring to things like JBJ's throws and Machida's leg sweeps. It was a constant disappointment that guys like Akiyama and Sok decided to stand and wang instead of using their judo.

Hikikomori - 

People never mention Rick hawn and it pisses me off. Rick uses his judo well. Jim hetes is another guy who beasts guys with judo. Phone Post

Mentioned Heites, was thinking about Hawn but couldnt remember his name. ;p Bellator guy right who was also a world/olympic medallilst? Was he the guy that did an ippon-seoi against a guy then finished with a GNP TKO right away?

Fedor used to mix up his punching to the clinch really well, as he did in the second Nog and CC fights. His ground game became pretty sloppy in and from the CC fight imo.

GSP24 - 

She's not training with Karo. Karo isn't with Team Hayastan anymore.

#theheat Phone Post

I was just referring to some clips I saw of them traiining, not sure which gym or whatever, just the fact that she had someone with the judo/MMA transitional expertise and how comfortable she seemed in the clinch without the gi.

JudOWNED - I find it ironic that, aside from Ronda, some of the best "judo" you see in MMA today isn't even from judoka. I am referring to things like JBJ's throws and Machida's leg sweeps. It was a constant disappointment that guys like Akiyama and Sok decided to stand and wang instead of using their judo.

I agree and i see you put "judo" in quotes but Machida's sweeps are straight from karate and done in karate style, its not really done in judo that way though Omigawa has mentioned has done a few very nicely in setting up the clinch or punches in the judo type way. Cant recall if there was another recently? As for JBJ throws, some of them are similar to judo, some are more wrestling but they are a delight to watch and i credit that for both Jones' wrestling background and ability to think outside the box.

Actually, in the Moussasi fight, Sok showed some pretty good td/striking mixing (though they were off fake leg shots iirc?) but yeah, def a good example of a grappler turned wanger. Def Sexy too. Sexy to me was one of the most frustrating examples i thought esp since he had the talent overall i think to be a much better fighter than he was but i also heard that there were some reports that he was never the same after the Misaki KO. He looked pretty good against Belcher (and yes i thought he won or it wasnt a "robbery!" that he did) but then all of a sudden he was getting outboxed by Leben? Outbrawled sure but Leben was beating him to the punch early on as well, that really showed a slow down.

Has she even attempted a double leg yet in MMA?

Wasa-B - 
JudOWNED - I find it ironic that, aside from Ronda, some of the best "judo" you see in MMA today isn't even from judoka. I am referring to things like JBJ's throws and Machida's leg sweeps. It was a constant disappointment that guys like Akiyama and Sok decided to stand and wang instead of using their judo.

I agree and i see you put "judo" in quotes but Machida's sweeps are straight from karate and done in karate style, its not really done in judo that way though Omigawa has mentioned has done a few very nicely in setting up the clinch or punches in the judo type way. Cant recall if there was another recently? As for JBJ throws, some of them are similar to judo, some are more wrestling but they are a delight to watch and i credit that for both Jones' wrestling background and ability to think outside the box.

Actually, in the Moussasi fight, Sok showed some pretty good td/striking mixing (though they were off fake leg shots iirc?) but yeah, def a good example of a grappler turned wanger. Def Sexy too. Sexy to me was one of the most frustrating examples i thought esp since he had the talent overall i think to be a much better fighter than he was but i also heard that there were some reports that he was never the same after the Misaki KO. He looked pretty good against Belcher (and yes i thought he won or it wasnt a "robbery!" that he did) but then all of a sudden he was getting outboxed by Leben? Outbrawled sure but Leben was beating him to the punch early on as well, that really showed a slow down.

I agree completely. And yes, that is exactly why I put judo in quotes. I know those sweeps were from karate and Bones has a wrestling background. But it's still good judo!

Yeah, i know what you mean.

ttt

Ronda is also a world class level/Olympic level athlete. THe mental game, emotional preparation she brings with her to the cage is at a much higher level.