Owning your own business

So which of you sexy beasts own their own business? Pros and cons? Do you wish you didn't?

I am looking at starting a small business on the side. Eventually/hopefully it will become a full time gig or allow me to purchase some passive income style assets. I am just curious how you all feel about Phone Post 3.0

I love it. But you have to love it to make it work because it is a massive commitment (time, finances, risk, etc). Phone Post 3.0

It's great , it's cliche , but hard work pays off. Also remember this...... U can work for somebody and help build there dream or work for yourself and build yours . Good luck . Phone Post 3.0

The Eraser - I love it. But you have to love it to make it work because it is a massive commitment (time, finances, risk, etc). Phone Post 3.0
This x 1000 Phone Post 3.0

What is your idea for a business?

RICKYB - It's great , it's cliche , but hard work pays off. Also remember this...... U can work for somebody and help build there dream or work for yourself and build yours . Good luck . Phone Post 3.0

Yep

I sold mine trying to save a marriage a couple years ago. Back in school, but plan on working for myself again as quickly as possible

Love it, even when it's bad it's great lol Phone Post 3.0

The Eraser - I love it. But you have to love it to make it work because it is a massive commitment (time, finances, risk, etc). Phone Post 3.0
So true. Phone Post 3.0

Mobile business. I have done research and I believe it will satisfy a niche in the area I am looking.

As for the more than 9-5 and weekends stuff, I know that wont be an issue for quite a bit. I feel I am an entrepreneurial person. My biggest problem with my current job, besides the desk, is I feel like I've learned almost all I can in my position. I enjoy challenges and learning new things. Owning my own business, I feel, would allow me to be challenged and learn. The variable income portion scares the shit out of me. But I also know I need to take a risk in order to accomplish what I want to. Phone Post 3.0

I love it. The only negative is there are no discounts or group rates when shopping for health insurance.
That's why I am self insured. I won't be able to afford something catastrophic, but I can pay cash for everything else which is far less than the total annual premium of health insurance.

ttt, I was actually gonna start a similar thread but saw this. Just started my own business doing video production. Doing it on the side for right now, but the plan is to quit my job and focus on my business full time once I get more work in.

daddyfatsacks - ttt, I was actually gonna start a similar thread but saw this. Just started my own business doing video production. Doing it on the side for right now, but the plan is to quit my job and focus on my business full time once I get more work in.
In content creation be prepared to do a lot for cheap/free in the beginning, and shamelessly promote yourself at every opportunity. The bonus is that once you get going your work speaks for itself and does a lot of the promotional legwork for you.

Just for reference I am a graphic designer specializing in vinyl graphics for signage, decals, and clothing.

UG/OG might be seeing some t-shirt deals soon. Working on getting a good selection of graphic tee's designed and then starting up an online store. Fortunately what's been slowing the process down is I have been too busy with bigger projects. There isn't a lot of money in shirts but I enjoy it. Phone Post 3.0

I enjoy it for me its the most money but all the stress of managing it . With only two employees its not bad but between comp taxed and 3 mill in coverage its nerve-racking as well Phone Post 3.0

What caused you folks to go out on your own? Necessity or not wanting to work for the man or flexibility? Phone Post 3.0

i have owned 3 in my lifetime

car detailing busines where i made a boatload of $. didnt claim it all then moved to rural florida

there i opened 2 video stores before the blockbuster boom and dvds. spent all my savings got married etc.

loved it all the time i owned them. closed them just in time to not go bankrupt. almost opened a 3rd video store but fell thru at the last moment.

now im a retail manager and basically just live day to day slaving for the man

shootfightermike -

i have owned 3 in my lifetime

car detailing busines where i made a boatload of $. didnt claim it all then moved to rural florida

there i opened 2 video stores before the blockbuster boom and dvds. spent all my savings got married etc.

loved it all the time i owned them. closed them just in time to not go bankrupt. almost opened a 3rd video store but fell thru at the last moment.

now im a retail manager and basically just live day to day slaving for the man

I sent you a pm. You might have some info that could answer a question or 2 Phone Post 3.0

It's great sometimes, it's frustrating as f... sometimes. New York makes it difficult to have a business. Get a good accountant and only hire someone if you absolutely have to. It's expensive to have an employee, and I'm not talking about the wage. Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_EnderTL - 
daddyfatsacks - ttt, I was actually gonna start a similar thread but saw this. Just started my own business doing video production. Doing it on the side for right now, but the plan is to quit my job and focus on my business full time once I get more work in.
In content creation be prepared to do a lot for cheap/free in the beginning, and shamelessly promote yourself at every opportunity. The bonus is that once you get going your work speaks for itself and does a lot of the promotional legwork for you.

Just for reference I am a graphic designer specializing in vinyl graphics for signage, decals, and clothing.

UG/OG might be seeing some t-shirt deals soon. Working on getting a good selection of graphic tee's designed and then starting up an online store. Fortunately what's been slowing the process down is I have been too busy with bigger projects. There isn't a lot of money in shirts but I enjoy it. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks! I'm actually doing some free work right now for those reasons. Good promotion, especially since the people seeing those videos are potential leads (or know people that are potential leads).

In Phone Post 3.0

I own three.  Its a powerful love'/hate relationship.