P3's Slipping Drill

Yet another question(s) for Scott,

In P3's slipping drill are the participants restricted to pugilistic attacks?
What are the goals of the exercise for both parties involved?
What exactly do you mean when you call 'switch' and refer to 'turning the tide'?

Sorry for the barrage, but I'm having a tough time getting my head around the last two tapes of P3.

Fraternal,

-Cilian

"In P3's slipping drill are the participants restricted to pugilistic attacks?"

Not at all. The drills can be used, and are used, for all aspects of combat.

"What are the goals of the exercise for both parties involved?"

Can you expand this question? I'm afraid I don't understand what you specifically ask.

"What exactly do you mean when you call 'switch' and refer to 'turning the tide'?"

This question involves a sophisticated answer, but it can be very simply stated. The goal of P3, through the vehicle of fisticuffs, is to shift/switch the tide of the battle in your favour. To do this, it is not enough to be able to fight when you have the advantage, when you make no mistakes, and when you are not surprised by your opponent's performance (or appearance). You must be able to turn and fight when you appear to be disadvantaged, when you make a mistake, and when you are surprised. This is the goal of the drill.

frat.,

s

[Can you expand this question? I'm afraid I don't understand what you specifically ask. ]

Basically, the word drill suggests to me that there is a specific goal to be achieved. Is there a certain amount of role playing involved(a la softwork) or do the participants have a specific performance goal for the drill or do they go all out and try to beat ham sized chunks out of eachother? :)

[You must be able to turn and fight when you appear to be disadvantaged, when you make a mistake, and when you are surprised. This is the goal of the drill.]

I guess this falls under the roleplaying question, but do the participants take turns in assuming the advantage or is the advantage determined as a matter of course in the drill? If the latter, would the drill's effectiveness be diminished if one of the participants was more skilled than the other?

Fraternal,

-Cilian

I really had fun running the version of this drill where an EXTERNAL person dictates the moment of the switch. It helps get people to the idea of turning the tide at an instant no matter WHAT their current situation is, and the idea of not "defending" but instead "seeking opportunity."

And for that matter, it helps the person who has the advantage to not overcommit, as they won't be able to tell when suddenly they'll be the recipient of a strike...but all within a variable-intensity drill, which effectively keeps skill differences from being an issue.

At least that's where my group is mostly at right now.

Hmmm...

"For this exercise, your partner will strike, and you will use a Method 1, 2, or 3 movement to create an opportunity."

Great friggin post. Cilian, what Jon said.

Can't wait to meet your group. Where're your shoes? :)

Thanks Jon and Scott,

All that's left to do now is jump in and have a go. Off I go.

Frat.,

-Cilian