P4P ratings misleading

Not to subtract from the greatness of these fighters as they are amazing fighter, but does anyone else get annoyed at the publicity of naming the most dominant fighters the best P4P fighters regardless of their comparative size in their divisions. Everyone is calling Bones the best P4P fighter since he is dominant, but everyone he fights looks like a midget next to him. GSP is great, but he is known for his amazing ability to cut weight. Silva might also be arguably on the upper size limit of MW.

It's almost like all of the most popularly named P4P best fighters dominate because they have more natural size (which they cut before weigh ins) than most of the other fighters in their division. If anything the best P4P fighters (size ways at least) are successful but did not cut extensive weight to dominate their divisions. Maybe BJ Penn, Machida, Evans, Aldo.

i think most people know that p4p ranking are pointless, horribly inaccurately and usually completely wrong.

The only thing more retarded than pound-for-pound rankings is getting upset over pound-for-pound rankings.

I popped in to comment, but Humphrey and Steve have already done so, and used better word economy than I possibly could hope for.

I know they are a bunch of bull, but the whole P4P thing is fun to entertain. Back in the day before MMA, it was always fun to sit with friends and discuss which boxer from whatever era would match up well with another. You have to admit, if weight wasn't a reality we could make some killer fights. It should all be discussed as entertainment, don't get upset and don't take it to seriously. Phone Post

My personal P4P has more weight given (tee hee) to the actual size of the fighter compared to their opponents.

I have Jones lower, and had Edgar higher (before he lost to Bendo) precisely because of what the OP is talking about.  I believe P4P should be a rating of a fighters skillset as displayed in the cage. I do not see the skills of an Anderson/GSP/Aldo when I see Bones fight, but the progress he is making is at a very rapid pace. I see him using his skillset combined with his massive reach in every dimension of his body over the competition. Same goes for Cruz over the 135ers but to a lesser extent. 

It would be interesting for some one to take the time to make an average or a median in height and reach for each of the divisions, to see where all these guys fit in exactly. Then you have to ask if P4P should really remove the advantage, or if Pound 4 Pound should be taken literal and only be in regards to weight.

Subjective, and fun to discuss if you can avoid arguing for your favorite and getting upset.

That's just like, your opinion dude.

I think the pound for pound stuff is mostly a bunch of pointless fantasy talk, and it seems pretty strange to treat it like more than light hearted fun, but even when I take the rankings seriously for a second, I find them quite odd. For example, I don't see how a guy like Anderson Silva, who dominates a very weak division by pound for pound standards, could be ranked ahead of GSP, who not only dominates one of the pound for pound strongest divisions, but also has a more well rounded skill set.

If you made everybody the exact same size in every way (which is what pound for pound is all about), I don't see Anderson being the favourite over GSP in a head to head fight, and I certainly don't see him running through the guys in the welterweight division the way that GSP has.

People can't even agree on the definition of P4P so how can you expect the various rankings to make sense?

GSP's amazing ability to cut weight from 190 to 170 lol

JoeHurley -  People can't even agree on the definition of P4P so how can you expect the various rankings to make sense?

I look at it this way...if every fighter were the same weight, who would be the best? Of course it's all subjective and purely a matter of opinion.

Proteus The Invincible - I think the pound for pound stuff is mostly a bunch of pointless fantasy talk, and it seems pretty strange to treat it like more than light hearted fun, but even when I take the rankings seriously for a second, I find them quite odd. For example, I don't see how a guy like Anderson Silva, who dominates a very weak division by pound for pound standards, could be ranked ahead of GSP, who not only dominates one of the pound for pound strongest divisions, but also has a more well rounded skill set.

If you made everybody the exact same size in every way (which is what pound for pound is all about), I don't see Anderson being the favourite over GSP in a head to head fight, and I certainly don't see him running through the guys in the welterweight division the way that GSP has.

So those bolded things are all opinions,and here would be my responses:

Is WW really THAT strong when you have a Dan Hardy and a Koscheck challenging for the belt? How about Jake Shields moving to MW again after challenging for the belt and looking terrible at WW?

Next, what is GSP skillset more rounded to do, fight, or dominate positions? Is having an edge in the wrestling, but being a clearly inferior striker to Anderson really that much more well rounded? 

Now Anderson has cleaned out his division by stopping almost everyone (sans a few annoying Brasillians who refused to fight at all). Devstating finishes on the ground and standing, for years now. WHile GSP finds a way to dominate his opponents in the safest way possible and avoiding risking any positions to get the finish. 

GSP also enjoys a weight and reach advantage over 90% of his division. At his current (last 3 fights) weight of 190-195, there is only a select few who are heavier. While Anderson has been lighter than Okami/Sonnen/Belfort/Forrest recently and many more in his title run.

GSP uses his amazing wrestling, and extended reach/Jab to dominate his opponents with points.
Anderson uses his striking and submission skills to make people quit or take nappy time.

Is GSP a better P4P Fighter, or a better P4P Athlete?

Darth Ryase - GSP's amazing ability to cut weight from 190 to 170 lol

195 in his last few fights, according to Firaz.

Some sick body manipulations to do that and still fight 25 mintes!

UGCTT_LnPninja - 
Proteus The Invincible - I think the pound for pound stuff is mostly a bunch of pointless fantasy talk, and it seems pretty strange to treat it like more than light hearted fun, but even when I take the rankings seriously for a second, I find them quite odd. For example, I don't see how a guy like Anderson Silva, who dominates a very weak division by pound for pound standards, could be ranked ahead of GSP, who not only dominates one of the <b>pound for pound strongest divisions</b>, but also <b>has a more well rounded skill set.</b>

If you made everybody the exact same size in every way (which is what pound for pound is all about), I don't see Anderson being the favourite over GSP in a head to head fight, and I certainly don't see him running through the guys in the welterweight division <b>the way that GSP has</b>.

So those bolded things are all opinions,and here would be my responses:

Is WW really THAT strong when you have a Dan Hardy and a Koscheck challenging for the belt? How about Jake Shields moving to MW again after challenging for the belt and looking terrible at WW?

Next, what is GSP skillset more rounded to do, fight, or dominate positions? Is having an edge in the wrestling, but being a clearly inferior striker to Anderson really that much more well rounded? 

Now Anderson has cleaned out his division by stopping almost everyone (sans a few annoying Brasillians who refused to fight at all). Devstating finishes on the ground and standing, for years now. WHile GSP finds a way to dominate his opponents in the safest way possible and avoiding risking any positions to get the finish. 

GSP also enjoys a weight and reach advantage over 90% of his division. At his current (last 3 fights) weight of 190-195, there is only a select few who are heavier. While Anderson has been lighter than Okami/Sonnen/Belfort/Forrest recently and many more in his title run.

GSP uses his amazing wrestling, and extended reach/Jab to dominate his opponents with points.
Anderson uses his striking and submission skills to make people quit or take nappy time.

Is GSP a better P4P Fighter, or a better P4P Athlete?<br type="_moz" /> 

Firstly, I do believe that welterweight is a far stronger pound for pound division than middleweight, and I think great proof of that is the fact that Vitor had his title fight despite not having fought in well over a year. That would never happen in a shark tank division like welterweight or lightweight. Also, I think Sonnen receiving two title shots looks just as bad as Hardy receiving his one, because when you take a look at Sonnen's skill set, he's a guy with very good wrestling, solid striking, little power, and highly suspect submission skills. That doesn't sound like somebody who'd thrive in a pound for pound setting.

Secondly, at this point, I agree that GSP is much closer to being an athlete rather than a fighter, however, I believe that it's well within his capability to destroy people, he just chooses not to.

It's pound for pound, not inch for inch. He weighs the same as the people he fights. Phone Post