HARRISBURG, PENNSYLVANIA: A convicted pedophile was allegedly seen on top of a young boy who was heard crying for help before being shot dead. The 46-year-old man, Orlando Duarte, is currently facing homicide charges in connection to the killing which reportedly took place in broad daylight. He has been accused of murdering the 16-year-old boy on August 29.
Duarte is reportedly a registered sex offender, as per the state's sex offender website, ABC reports. The Dauphin County District Attorney's Office said that Duarte had shot the boy at 18th and Forster Streets around 1 pm. The victim, identified by his family as Kyan King, had been taken to the hospital where he later died. According to The Sun, the shooting took place after a witness had allegedly seen the Duarte on top of the child. The teen had reportedly cried for help many times but was shot to death before anyone could intervene and help him. One witness Avon Burton, told PennLive, "I watched that boy, lying on the grass naked, get shot."
"I hear, 'help, help', after the first shot, then no more. I watched the fire come out of the gun. He was standing over him, he shot him, and then took off running," Burton added. The Harrisburg police had been the ones to respond to the shooting site and they found the boy. One officer then reportedly ran down an alley and chased Duarte who was later arrested.
According to court records, Duarte has been serving time after being charged for raping a child in 2010. Online records reveal that Duarte was sentenced to four to eight years in prison back in 2012 and given 10 years of probation on charges which include involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child, aggravated indecent assault of a child, aggravated indecent assault without consent, indecent assault of a person less than 13, unlawful contact with a minor and corruption of minors.
On May 21, in that same year, Duarte had pleaded guilty to the charges. Court documents also show that he had entered no-contest pleas to simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, indecent assault of a person less than 16, and disorderly conduct in 2008 and was sentenced to 6-23 months behind bars. He is currently being held at the Dauphin County Prison without bail with a preliminary hearing set for September 28.