Pain in shoulders when sleeping?

I train bjj 6 sessions a week and judo twice and every night when im trying to sleep my shoulders stiffen up. I also wake up in the middle of the night because im lying on one side. Anyone else get this/ know of anything I can do to ease the pain? Phone Post

Bag of rice on the shoulder at night. Phone Post

I have had the same problem. I haven't found something that gets rid of it completely, but thoroughly stretching for about 15 mins after every session helps a lot.
If they still hurt a lot I'll take an anti inflammatory pill. Phone Post

Shoulder, scapular and neck alignment when ur sleeping on one side, try adding an extra pillow to raise the head slightly Phone Post

I know if would be hard for you to stay away from BJJ right now, especially 6 sessions a week but I would take a rest and get that healed before it leads to something more worst. Ice/heat and rest.

Are you sleeping with your head directly on your shoulder with your arm extended out? This is a very vulnerable position for the shoulder. Phone Post

bknumber1 - Are you sleeping with your head directly on your shoulder with your arm extended out? This is a very vulnerable position for the shoulder. Phone Post

No arm down by my side and head on pillow. If my arm is outstretched the pain goes to another level. Phone Post

uniquetechnique - I know if would be hard for you to stay away from BJJ right now, especially 6 sessions a week but I would take a rest and get that healed before it leads to something more worst. Ice/heat and rest.

Ive taken rest with it before and it just comes back within a couple of days of training. The pain is where the trap joins the shoulder, im going to get ot checked out with a doctor. Just hope im not wearing away a tendon/ligament with it. Phone Post

Herecomesthejester -
bknumber1 - Are you sleeping with your head directly on your shoulder with your arm extended out? This is a very vulnerable position for the shoulder. Phone Post

No arm down by my side and head on pillow. If my arm is outstretched the pain goes to another level. Phone Post

Well, I went 4 years with a jacked up shoulder that just kept getting worse. Finally got an MRI on it and now after shoulder surgery (that I had to wait months for, thanks military) I am out another 6-8 months recovering. I say go get it checked out if you have med coverage for it. Will most likely only get worse if you don't address it. Phone Post

bknumber1 -
Herecomesthejester -

Well, I went 4 years with a jacked up shoulder that just kept getting worse. Finally got an MRI on it and now after shoulder surgery (that I had to wait months for, thanks military) I am out another 6-8 months recovering. I say go get it checked out if you have med coverage for it. Will most likely only get worse if you don't address it. Phone Post

Luckily am in the UK so can get any surgery on the nhs. Thanks for the advice bro! Phone Post

Possibly Ulner Nerve? This was one of my symptoms. just thought i would throw that out there, in case by small chance it could be the ulner nerve.

Jason Reinhardt - Possibly Ulner Nerve? This was one of my symptoms. just thought i would throw that out there, in case by small chance it could be the ulner nerve.

Is it likely to be in both shoulders at once? How did you recover from it? Phone Post

Herecomesthejester - 
uniquetechnique - I know if would be hard for you to stay away from BJJ right now, especially 6 sessions a week but I would take a rest and get that healed before it leads to something more worst. Ice/heat and rest.

Ive taken rest with it before and it just comes back within a couple of days of training. The pain is where the trap joins the shoulder, im going to get ot checked out with a doctor. Just hope im not wearing away a tendon/ligament with it. Phone Post

So the pain is gone when you stop training? That is at least something to work with. When you start training again, is that directly with the same frequency?

When I was in university I trained three times a day (three times a week) and twice a day (twice per week). I think it grinds away at your body even under the best of circumstances.

One thing that made the difference between "doable" and "impossible" was quality of sleep. I started out on a single bed, dorm-issued mattress, no box spring. I'd go to bed in pain and actually wake up in the morning feeling worse, enough to make me ask myself why am I doing this?

I threw a double mattress over top of the old bed (+72 yellow page phone books to prop everything up), stopped eating just before bed and then tried to sleep 8 hrs every once in a while. Huge difference.

Mister Collins -
Herecomesthejester - 

So the pain is gone when you stop training? That is at least something to work with. When you start training again, is that directly with the same frequency?

Pain is there for an hour or so after training then subsides. Comes back when lying on my side trying to sleep. Literally any small pressure on the shoulder. Just doesnt seem right.. Phone Post

UGRBTT_Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - I'm sorry, you have aids Phone Post

This was my first thought but I had to be sure by asking the UG. Thank you for confirming that! Phone Post

jwistead - When I was in university I trained three times a day (three times a week) and twice a day (twice per week). I think it grinds away at your body even under the best of circumstances.

One thing that made the difference between "doable" and "impossible" was quality of sleep. I started out on a single bed, dorm-issued mattress, no box spring. I'd go to bed in pain and actually wake up in the morning feeling *worse*, enough to make me ask myself why am I doing this?

I threw a double mattress over top of the old bed (+72 yellow page phone books to prop everything up), stopped eating *just before bed* and then tried to sleep 8 hrs every once in a while. Huge difference.

Im hoping its just wear and tear but how are all these other animals able to train 3 times a day, 6 times a week etc? Phone Post

Herecomesthejester - 
Mister Collins -
Herecomesthejester - 

Pain is there for an hour or so after training then subsides. Comes back when lying on my side trying to sleep. Literally any small pressure on the shoulder. Just doesnt seem right.. Phone Post

Could be a capsulitis, bursitis or tendinitis (or combination). Did you ever stop training completely because of it? It looks like you're training is to intens and you need a better build up to this level. Find a good Fysiotherapist and see if he can help you with that. Pushing through the pain will probably only make it worse.

Mister Collins - 
Herecomesthejester - 
Mister Collins -
Herecomesthejester - 

Could be a capsulitis, bursitis or tendinitis (or combination). Did you ever stop training completely because of it? It looks like you're training is to intens and you need a better build up to this level. Find a good Fysiotherapist and see if he can help you with that. Pushing through the pain will probably only make it worse.

one of these are more than likely the case. I developed Tendinitis in my right shoulder and I could not sleep with my arm elvated at all. I got a cortizone shot and started doing physical therapy. after a couple weeks it was fine.

I have something very similar in my right shoulder. The only way I can sleep is on my back now (after having slept on my stomach for decades). It's much easier to stay on my back when I prop my right arm on another pillow, like an armrest. At least that way I don't roll onto my right shoulder. Give that a try, see if it'll help you sleep better.