Pal/ntsc

Is there any software out there that can convert a PAL dvd to a NTSC dvd? Without converting it from the dvd files.

"Is there any software out there that can convert a PAL dvd to a NTSC dvd?"

Sort of.

I have friends in the UK and similar who send me videos from time to time. I use Honest Tech video converter to conevrt the assets to NTSC, works real well. I use TMPGEncDVDAuthor to re-author NTSC DVD. I have to reverse-engineer chapters and menus etc, but it's not too bad.

" Without converting it from the dvd files."

Huh?

I realised I should probably clarify my issue. I'm trying to find the easiest way possible to convert a dvd to ntsc. By the dvd files I meant the vob, ifo, and bup files. I find that I have to encode it into an MPEG file, is it possible to avoid this? I was also wondering if there is an easy way to retain menus, chapters and special features. I tried chnaging everything into ntsc from pal with ifoedit. It kinda worked but I get green bars on the top and bottom of the video. So i'm pretty much trying to find a lazy way of doing this.

Thanks

"I find that I have to encode it into an MPEG file, is it possible to avoid this?"

No, you have to re-encode the assets. AFAIK there is no application that will let you press the button and walk away. You have to re-encode and re-author the menus etc.

Or buy a player that plays both

Funny story- I was just looking in to burning a region free copy of Fight Club and I saw this :P

try AnyDVD, it can remove copy protection, region, FBI warnings, fun stuff like that.

True, but region vs NTSC/PAL are two completely different issues.

For example, Japan and the US are both NTSC, but different regions, so if you stripped out the region encoding from a Japanese disc, and re-burned, it would play on your North American player, because it would be a region-free NTSC disc.

Try the same thing for a disc from the UK, this will not work, because it's a region-free PAL disc.

NTSC vs PAL has to do with picture size and frame rates - two different settings.

Trust me on this, I have friends in Russia, Japan, the UK and Australia who've sent me DVD's, and I have to go through this stuff every time, unless I elect to be lazy and just watch it on my PC.

You can check out videohelp.com for this topic too:

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=267229

but none of the approaches are simple. The Honest Tech one is the only one I really got to work, and I had to buy a kickass authoring program too.

But if you have a player capable of playing both formats then it's not a problem if you make it region free, right?

It's funny but DVD players/Vhs players here have pretty much played both formats...

Seems very few US machines play pal..

"But if you have a player capable of playing both formats then it's not a problem if you make it region free, right?"

This is correct