Pancrase vs. Team Quest Results

PANCRASE Results
February 6, 2004
Tokyo, Japan

Atsushi Yamamoto def. Reiji by unanimous decision (20-19, 20-18, 20-18)

Miki Shida def. Mitsuhisa Sunabe by unanimous decision (20-18,20-18,20-18)

Hur Sung Jin def. Alex Roberts by TKO 1:22 R1

Keigo Takamori def. Sehaku by KO 1:25 R1

Eiji Ishikawa def. Katsuya Inoue by majority decision (20-19, 20-20, 20-18)

Koji Oishi and Heath Sims fought to a majority draw (29-29, 30-28 Oishi, 29-29)

Osami Shibuya def. Art Santore by majority decision (29-29, 30-29, 30-28)

Kazuo Misaki def. Kiuma Kunioku by doctor stoppage 1:31 R2

Nice win for Shibuya, who has improved his game big time over the past year.

Dan Henderson was in attendence as the chief second to the Team Quest fighters.

I thought Nate Quary was fighting.

Not sure what happened to Nate. He was originally listed to fight. Perhaps he suffered an injury in training.

Hur Sung Jin defeated Alex Roberts, a Kyokushin fighter wearing his Karate Gi, who was essentially clueless in his debut.

Too bad Art lost... he's a really good guy, and I hope the best for him in the future.

TheComish

Kazuo Misaki, now with a record of 11-3-2, takes the title. He has a win over Joe D'Arce, a split decision loss to Ricardo Almeida, and recently had a draw with Jake Shields. A Grabaka fighter, trained by Sanae Kikuta, is a fighter that would be sweet to add to Bushido.

Kunioku, who has had fierce battles with Nate Marquadt, and some nice wins including victories over Masa Funaki, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Yuki Kondo, and Nate Merquadt, suffers a big set back.

Pancrase is a super Promotion. Full out MMA now, with dedicated, hungry fighters. Very enjoyable. Being a smaller promotion compared to Pride and K-1 in Japan, it does'nt get as much hype. It definately delivers in skill and excitment. MMA purists owe it to themselves to watch a few of their recent shows.

I'm pretty sure Kunioku-Misaki wasn't for Kunioku's KOP title. I think this match was at 181 lbs, which Kunioku used to be champ in until he lost the title to Marquardt (Who subsequently lost it to Almeida).

Kunioku's current KOP title is 165 lbs or so, I can't remember what the weight limit is for that division in Pancrase....And I don't think Misaki would ever make weight that far down, he's already lean enough as it is.

It seems that Pancrase team kicked some ass.

Peace and''um grande abraço''

yes the pancrase team kicked ass

Any update on why Nate did'nt fight ?

According to several reports that I've gathered :

Art Santore did not look good in his fight. He came in a bit overweight, and appeared sluggish. Shibuya dominated the action, and had him on the verge of being choked out.

Heath Sims / Koji Ooishi was very competitive. Predominantly a stand up bout. Good call in a draw.

New team Pancrase member Keigo Takamori was very impressive. He has Judo skills and a very powerful punch (sounds like Fedor!) His nickname is "Megaton"

Kyokushin fighter (Daidojuku) Alex Roberts is apparently a promising fighter. A headbutt in the first minute caused him to loose via TKO.

Kazuo Misaki is a guy to watch. He talked after the fight of his interest to fight in Pride. He has excellent stand up skills. His victory over Kunioku was for the #1 middleweight contender position. He already had a match with Ricardo Almeida that went to a split decision. I would expect to see them in a rematch soon.

wild celtic: I remember Circus mentioning Takamori as a judoka who's going into MMA, but didn't he have that 18 second loss to Korean fighter Hur Sung Jin? I haven't seen that fight yet, so I don't know if it was a fluke loss (Particularly, a cut) or if he was KO'd by a guy better than him.

Takamori's first MMA match was when he beat Soichi Nishida (The shitty guy who lost to Enson twice) in a special MMA match in IKUSA. I mentioned it as a "special" MMA match because as far as I know that was the only time IKUSA put an MMA match on one of their cards.

Takamori x Hur Sung Jin was brutal.Sung Jin was flailing on him.Fun fight to watch.

I think Nate was actually off the card for a while, Pancrase just never updated their marketing to reflect that...

Here's some pics of Heath and Art's fights from sportsnavi --

Pancrase rocks !