Parents: What's Your School Doing?

I am seeing many different proposals with returning to school w/covid

1.) What proposal has your school come up with?

2.) How does it affect you?

My kid is going into 6th grade, her school is doing 2 days in school / 3 days remote, with option to stay remote 5x / week.

*The catch, we may be allowed to opt following quarter if we want to go from remote to half.

We opted all online because her will only be max 10 kids,  one room all day including mask.....wife's and my schedule make it easy for this.....I think it sucks big time for parents who have to be in office during 9-5...one reason I opted to go 100% nights 8 years ago.

I teach 8th grade. My district was initially planning to go back either in person full time or online full time but now they're having us start all online for the first month. Such bullshit. I want to be back in the >

1 Like

FaceToFace -

I teach 8th grade. My district was initially planning to go back either in person full time or online full time but now they're having us start all online for the first month. Such bullshit. I want to be back in the >

I want my kid back in school mainly for the social life between students and teachers.

Online fears me for this reason. Last quarter she excelled both ways, but i sensed an increase in separation anxiety from always being home during school lockdown

Pushed start back a month. 4 options ranging from in to home school.  No idea what right answer is.

1 Like

BailmeOut -

Pushed start back a month. 4 options ranging from in to home school.  No idea what right answer is.

I Feel that if we can't contain lice, we will Monticello also have a covid outbreak in school....hope the vaccine is out by November/ December as slated.

I am lucky my son is gifted, so he chose online.  My best friend's son for example struggles with school, so he is going in person full time. 

That was our choice, come or take it online. 

1 Like

We were supposed to go back in person next week. They just decided to postpone it until the end of Aug.

My son is going into middle school.

Most counties in CA starting remote, with only way to be back in person is to be below threshold levels set by DPH for 14 days straight.

our school district announced once our county reaches this and kids are back, if the county slips and goes back on the watch list, we’ll stay in school, provided our district #’s are good. There are a few areas that are fucking it up for all of san diego. Looking at you chula vista...

They had a 5 level rating scale on risk. 1st and 2nd is in person 100%. 3rd is mostly online for middle and high school with elementary is doing every other day with 1/2 of the school population. Level 4 and 5 is 100% online

my son is in middle school which could mean he's home alone for school all day. Tough being a 5th grader and would be a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. 

current status would be a 3 because school can't do the social distancing required. 

Return to school in person like normal, for those that want to go. And a virtual option for those that don't.

I am sending my son in-person. 

Going to really screw h.s. Juniors and seniors. SATs and ACTs cancelled. Im wondering id colleges are going to just waive it.

These kids are going to fall behind like

1 Like

Return to school Aug 5. Masks, distancing, all that stuff. 

I hate it because I see my son less when hes in school. I wish they'd shut that shit down for good so I could have him as much as possible. 

Starting back august 5. Parents have option for virtual learning but my kid is the type that needs to be in the The virtual stuff killed her this spring. My twins are starting pre k and going also. Masks encouraged but not required. Should be about 20% less kids in the so maybe that will help some. 

Fighting -

I am lucky my son is gifted, so he chose online.  My best friend's son for example struggles with school, so he is going in person full time. 

That was our choice, come or take it online. 

I’m on the different side of the same boat. Both of my kids are in advanced but my youngest needs the actual in learning. She struggled HARD with the online thing, and if weren’t for my SIL(Stay at home mom with a masters in education) holding with my girls and nephews, she would have struggled. Luckily they have the option of going back full time. 

I think schools need to be back in for the kids that are in danger of falling behind. The special ed kids that need specialized teachers. The kids that need assistance just to eat. The kids that absolutely have to have the setting just to pass. Hell, even the kids who use school to get away from their shitty parents. It needs to be an option, not just completely cutting kids off. If you’re worried about the spread, cool. Keep your kids home, but don’t force others to suffer because you have some sort of axe to grind. 

One of my best friend’s son is dyslexic to the point where it was impacting his speech. He NEEDS his teachers. When he got his IEP his grades went through the roof and his speech started developing, and he started regressing during the shut down. 

It’s funny how the same people that are “standing up for injustice for the minority” are the same ones being completely selfish when it comes to actual disenfranchised children. 

Back full-time in September, no masks, social distancing in the playground. This is in rural Quebec. It will vary school board to school board.

Still waiting to hear.

I’d be ok with a split 

NYC here.

They gave a survey to parents that literally had no option of "returning to school full-time".

So, they (DOE) still haven't figured out what they are doing.

Teachers don't know what's going on but pushing hard for 100% remote learning because they can stay home all day, collect salary and do almost nothing. The "remote learning" in the spring was complete crap where the kids didn't learn anything. When I've talked to various teachers they did not take my criticism lightly.

1st and 3rd grader incoming.online first then twice a week.sounds good to me,they learn more from me and my wife and they get to see their friends/kids their age twice a week.

They changed from a hybrid setup to all remote learning through the end of October after a case spike

Sgt_Doakes_Got_Jokes -
FaceToFace -

I want my kid back in school mainly for the social life between students and teachers.

Online fears me for this reason. Last quarter she excelled both ways, but i sensed an increase in separation anxiety from always being home during school lockdown

I teach Science and it's going to be really hard to do real Chemistry online. This year's group is really going to miss out.

1 Like