Parents Who Own Books Raise Kids Who Do Better

Parents Who Own Bookshelves Raise Kids Who Do Better in School

Over on Core77, Rain Noe discusses a sweeping international study by a team of Stanford and University of Munich researchers, who looked at all sorts of questions about how economics, school conditions, and parents end up affecting education. But one of the most interesting tidbits concerned the fact that a child’s achievements at school are correlated to whether his or her parents own a very simple object.

That object? A bookshelf. Two, actually. According to the study’s authors, the educational achievements of British children whose parents owned two bookcases differed from children whose parents didn’t by 1.15 standard deviations. In plain language, that’s three times the amount of what the average kid learns during a year of school.

“Books at home are the single most important predictor of student performance in most countries,” write the study authors. But they're quick to point out that they're talking about correlation, not causation. “The consistency of the estimates across studies is not meant to imply that books in the home per se are causally related to achievement and that providing more books to families would raise student performance. Books in the home proxy systematic differences in parenting, home education, and home resources...”

http://gizmodo.com/parents-who-own-bookshelves-raise-kids-who-do-better-in-513115295

wow what a shocker, parents who can read have kids who can read!

cruedi - wow what a shocker, parents who can read have kids who can read!

This!

In other news.

Shotgun blasts are apparently bad for your health.

FRAT!! MUHRICA!

tikmovado - We have 6 in my home. All my kids read very well. They have to read for 30 min before bed each night. My son just finished where the red fern grows and Huck Fin he is reading the adventures of tom sawyer.

Parents who talk with their kids about why they need to be good at these things helps as well.

6 books or 6 kids?

Because thats either a lot of kids. OR thats a weak amout of books. 

In for them book learnings. Phone Post 3.0

And in related news, scientists have discovered that water is, in fact, wet.

Water is wet?

Women are crazy? Phone Post 3.0

foggybottom -
mjeezy - Water is wet?

Women are crazy? Phone Post 3.0

It seems obvious that lots of books in the home = higher education levels & intelligence = children adopting their parent's intelligence + developing an appreciate for reading. However, I encounter people every single day that are proud of the fact that they "don't read", and don't value higher education. It's unbelievable that parents are ignorant and selfish enough to maintain their foolish pride & stupidity, and pass this on to their children. 

Agreed Phone Post 3.0

Bloody Pregnancy Fluids - In other news.

Shotgun blasts are apparently bad for your health.
This would be dependent on your orientation in relation to the muzzle. Phone Post 3.0

tikmovado - 
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids - 

tikmovado - We have 6 in my home. All my kids read very well. They have to read for 30 min before bed each night. My son just finished where the red fern grows and Huck Fin he is reading the adventures of tom sawyer.

Parents who talk with their kids about why they need to be good at these things helps as well.

6 books or 6 kids?

This was about Bookshelves.

3 kids.

About 1500+ books

Nice!

I haven't read the primary paper yet, but from the outset, I wonder if the types of books matter.

For example, would you get a different result if the books were all "50 Shades of Grey" types vs. the Bible?

Does the content matter or is simply the act of reading that matters the most?

We've a huge wall full of bookshelves and my 14 yr old is still a twit. Phone Post 3.0

My kid's got her amazon kindle account hooked up to my credit card.  

She explains to me why she needs to read it, what a good book it is, and why she needs to read it pretty soon.

She'll also point out incredible savings if they're being offered.

It sucks that books need batteries and warm up time now, but kindle's pretty awesome.

My mom had tons of books when I was growing up, most were Stephen King and the like, murder mystery type. But she also had Lord of the Rings, catcher in the rye, etc.
My brother and I both have high reading levels. I out grew the elementary library in 4th grade.
Read Crime and Punishment at 13. Dante's Inferno, The Iliad, Mein Kampf(haven't made it through the last two), Pride and Prejudice.
There are SO many more I want to read.

I absolutely know that my mom having books available to us, and seeing her read on a daily basis encouraged the love I have of books. Phone Post 3.0

6ULDV8 -

She explains to me why she needs to read it, what a good book it is, and why she needs to read it pretty soon.

It sucks that books need batteries and warm up time now, but kindle's pretty awesome.

That I awesome! I see so many kids today who lack basic reading skills, if its a kindle that keeps her reading its still good. One day she will see the value of having all those books that she read, displayed on a shelf! Phone Post 3.0

6ULDV8 - 

It'll be interesting to see how this correlation involving bookshelves holds up in the upcoming years, when most print media will be digital.

Instead of bookshelves, is it going to be hard drive space on an e-Reader? The amount of reading done by parents is going to be more cryptic and less conspicuous. Your kid might see you reading on your Kindle, but it won't be as an honest sign of reading a book, since for all your kid knows, you're just checking your email.

I have almost 4000 books on my phone now.  I am taken care of for reading for the rest of my life, and I've just started collecting.

Nothing compares to a great read.  I really like the wistful feeling when you've finished an awesome book or series, that 'Well what the fuck am I going to do now?' feeling.

It sucks, but it's awesome too.

tikmovado -
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids - 

6 books or 6 kids?

This was about Bookshelves.

3 kids.

About 1500+ books

I have 1501+ books, so my kid is just a little smarter than yours, sorry.

;) Phone Post