Passengers: PLOT HOLE

So I just watched about half of the movie Passengers (with Chris Pratt). Not really liking this movie at all, even as a sci-fi nerd. It's just really bland.

Anyway, I think I found a pretty dumb plot hole. Mild, mid movie spoilers ahead (obviously).

After Pratt wakes up Jennifer Lawrence, she asks about them just going back into stasis. Chris explains to Jennifer that they can't do that. He says the pods in which they are kept in stasis are exactly for only that, they can only keep them in stasis, they cannot actually put them into stasis. He says that was all done in a medical lab before they left, and none of that equipment is on board. He is clear, they can no longer induce stasis with any equipment that is on board the ship.

A few minutes later, they are getting all sweet on eachother talking about hopes and dreams. Jennifer then says that she is on a round trip. She is flying to the new planet, staying for ONE YEAR, then heading back to Earth, which would take 120 years of travel.

How the hell is she going to go back to Earth? She cannot get back into stasis! The ship does not have the equipment. The planet is empty, no equipment there.

The movie is so bland that I don't really want to watch the rest. So please tell me if there is some reveal later on that explains this.

You really think the colony they are headed to doesn't have stasis induction? That there's no provision to send people on anything but a one way ride?

iclimb513 - You really think the colony they are headed to doesn't have stasis induction? That there's no provision to send people on anything but a one way ride?

/thread

PTM2020 -
iclimb513 - You really think the colony they are headed to doesn't have stasis induction? That there's no provision to send people on anything but a one way ride?

/thread

Hahahaha

PTM2020 - 

/thread

Oh no no no. No /thread.

They state in the movie that they are the first settlers heading there. They say it several times. That's Chris Pratt's motivation for going. They state the ship is carrying supplies for settling: farming and building equipment.

wait till the end

jqvwxyz - 
PTM2020 - 

/thread

Oh no no no. No /thread.

They state in the movie that they are the first settlers heading there. They say it several times. That's Chris Pratt's motivation for going. They state the ship is carrying supplies for settling: farming and building equipment.

Maybe they are among the first settlers, not the VERY first settlers. There's what, 5000 people on board. Maybe they have already established a colony of a couple million people or something. Or maybe other ships that made the journey earlier or are making it later are equipped differently. There could be a million different ways she could get back.

Let me preface this with a spoiler by saying that stasis induction equipment is already aboard the ship. It's on the medical facility and requires special clearance to access. What's even more ridiculous is that they only have one piece of equipment for this and it would become the pod for the person in stasis and can't be used unless that person is brought out of stasis.

Its probably unrealistic to assume that just because they are "the first settlers" that there aren't already enough people and infrastructure to facilitate stasis induction.
I mean, they clearly aren't like Columbus first landing in North America. They would've had to make an initial journey and setup the place for eventual habitation. They probably had to have stasis induction there already.

The crew are also roundtrippers, they would need to go back in stasis.

I'm just happy they both died. Rules out any chance of a sequel.

Yeah so I ended up watching the rest of the movie.

The first half, as I mentioned, was bland.

The second half was absolutely terrible. Just a bad movie. By the end, I didn't even care about any plot holes, I just wanted it to end. The whole finish sequence from them discovering the source of the problem, risking lives to fix it and then the ending, all so predictable, poorly acted, poorly written, and poorly cast.

2/10

my beef was that the supposed speed of the ship was about half the speed of light. well, even if pratt survives the flames, he would have been long gone by the time jlaw went out looking for him. and how do you even hang around with a tiny cable at those speeds.

Bro. The plot holes are this. 

1. Why is there only one medical pod for 5000 passengers?

2. Why not wake up a "care taker" passenger every month and place the previous in cryogenic chamber? With 5000 passengers you wouldn't even need any one to repeat it. 

3. So they make a nice tree house. Looted like they fucked like jack rabbits. Where are the kids?

4. The physics to propel him outside the ship make no sense. 

5. Why does he make the empire state building when she says the chryler building?

Can't think of any more

This was one of the worse movies I have ever seen.

The premise has so much potential but my god the execution, the dialogue was horrendous.

onoy saving grace was the robot waiter guy.  His acting was top notch.    The other two were terrible .

Spoiler

My biggest pet peeves is related to the auto doc pod.(medical pod)

So they have this medical pod that can look after people... diagnosing illness put in stasis. But the it have one for 5 thousand people?!?...But given that they have spare parts for everything as Chris Pratt said...Why could he not put one together from said parts....And this is ignoring how impractical only having one for that many people.

There was zero to this story...And it was lame....I was so upset given how much I wanted to see it.

jqvwxyz - 
PTM2020 - 

/thread

Oh no no no. No /thread.

And it was stated several times that Jennifer Lawrence's character was only going to go there for a year and then head back to earth to finish her book.  You weren't paying attention lol

greentrousers - my beef was that the supposed speed of the ship was about half the speed of light. well, even if pratt survives the flames, he would have been long gone by the time jlaw went out looking for him. and how do you even hang around with a tiny cable at those speeds.

If your moving at any speed in space your still moving at that speed. Its not like a car you fall out of and come to a stop.

pcuzz -
greentrousers - my beef was that the supposed speed of the ship was about half the speed of light. well, even if pratt survives the flames, he would have been long gone by the time jlaw went out looking for him. and how do you even hang around with a tiny cable at those speeds.

If your moving at any speed in space your still moving at that speed. Its not like a car you fall out of and come to a stop.
Even in a car, at constant velocity you can move around inside as if the car were stationary.
What's important is their relative velocity to the ship and that the velocity remains constant. Why would leaving the spaceship change what speed Chris is going when he goes for his tethered walks?