Payout Spotlight: ProElite VP of Fight Operations

MMAPayout interview with ProElite VP T.Jay Thompson:

MP: What will the name of the MMA promotion be under ProElite and does ProElite still have rights to EliteXC, Cage Rage, etc?

Thompson: We will be using ProElite as the name of the promotion, as the ProElite name still has value and brand equity. We still own part of the rights and library to EliteXC and Strikeforce owns others after the asset purchase, but we still have the rights to other promotions such as Cage Rage and ICON for example.

MP: So far, the rumors are Kala Hose vs Drew McFedries, Raquel Pa’aluhi vs Sara McMann, Jake Huen vs Mark Ellis, Andrei Arlovski, and Kendall Grove all possibly participating in the upcoming August 27 event taking place at the Blaisdell Arena in Hawaii. Can you confirm any of these fights? Will there be an emphasis in Women’s MMA?

Thompson: There will be an announcement this week but all I can say is that you guys have done a very good job. Those fights sound very plausible. I can tell you that we signed the first American woman in history to receive a silver medal in women’s wrestling at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Sara McMann and she will be taking on Raquel Pa’aluhi, who comes from a great Hawaiian MMA background. Whether male or female fighters, we are talking to anyone that’s available and that make sense for us and what markets we go into.

MP: How will MMA fans be able to watch the August 27 event? Are there any concerns about running the show on the same day as the monumental UFC 134: Silva vs Okami taking place in Brazil?

Thompson: The event will be available for fans most likely by streaming from a major MMA website. We are hoping for a TV deal to be in place, but realistically, it will most likely be streamed from Hawaii at 7PM local, which means it will air just after UFC 134 at 10PM on the west coast. We are not trying to compete with the UFC, and just like a fighter coming back from a long layoff, we have to work out the kinks and ring rust. We hope to do that in the first couple of shows.

MP: Does ProElite have any major sponsors lined up for the August 27 event?

rest of the story...
http://mmapayout.com/2011/07/payout-spotlight-proelite-vp-of-fight-operations-t-jay-thompson-part-1/

Part 2:

MP: What type of cage/ring will ProElite use on August 27? Are you a fan of the ring or the cage?

Thompson: We will be using a standard circular cage, similar to what was used in EliteXC. I am a big fan of the ring but I believe that era of MMA has passed. The ring was great back in PRIDE and in Japan, but those times have passed. As for the cage, I’m a big fan of the smaller cages, so I’m hoping that we can make it a bit smaller in the future because they create exciting fights.

MP: How do you feel about co-promotion?

Thompson: I am all for co-promotion. Not only did I host the first co-promotional sanctioned event for Shooto in the U.S., but I was fortunate enough to work with several Japanese promotions and I was able to bring fighters like Rumina Sato stateside, which was a proud moment for me.

rest of the story...
http://mmapayout.com/2011/07/payout-spotlight-proelite-vp-of-fight-operations-t-jay-thompson-part-2/

convoluted thread title convolutes me brain.

Great, looking forward to their success Phone Post

It's a shame ProElite didn't let guys like Thompson, Terry Trebilcock, JD Penn and mother-fucking Wallid Ismail contribute more the first time around. If they had listened to those guys rather than those Shaw cocksuckers, they might not have blown $50 million and gone out of business so quickly.

MMASuPreMaCy - MMAPayout interview with ProElite VP T.Jay Thompson:

MP: What will the name of the MMA promotion be under ProElite and does ProElite still have rights to EliteXC, Cage Rage, etc?

Thompson: We will be using ProElite as the name of the promotion

Using ProElite as their MMA org name as well is a terrible idea.  Call it Cage Rage USA, Superbrawl II or something so people know what the hell it is.   

epwar - Using ProElite as their MMA org name as well is a terrible idea. Call it Cage Rage USA, Superbrawl II or something so people know what the hell it is.

I believe their research showed them that ProElite had more of a brand presence than the other individual promotions under their management. Of course, that doesn't stop them from using Cage Rage, ICON, etc from future shows, but they should probably focus on one brand and build it first.

Kendall Grove vs. Joe Riggs now likely for August 27 ProElite event.

MMASuPreMaCy - Kendall Grove vs. Joe Riggs now likely for August 27 ProElite event.

LOL

I hope Riggs brutally KO's him again.

holy crap that ko was living death