PB&J

I love PB&J sandwiches. Lately, though, I've been wondering how healthy they are. I use Skippy brand PB, the creamy kind. Regular jam, and whole wheat bread. The cool thing is, each slice of bread has 6 grams of protein and like 5 grams of fiber. Is it cool to eat them everyday like I've been doing lately? If not is there way to make it healthier with out going to sugarless jelly or preserves?

Cool. So what brand of jams would you recommend?
Yeah the High fructose corn syrup did bother me. Sounds like I need to make a trip to trader joe's

You can get Smucker's organic PB at every grocery store I've been to. I think it's just peanuts and salt, I'll have to check.

Here's the nutritional info and ingredients list for Smucker's Organic Crunchy PB. I use it in my homemade protein bars:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 Tbsp. (32g)
Calories 210
Calories from Fat 150

Amount/Serving %DV *
Total Fat 16g
Saturated Fat 2.5g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 50mg
Total Carbohydrate 6g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 1g
Protein 8g
Iron
Vitamin E
Riboflavin
Niacin
25 %
12 %

0 %
2 %
2 %
9 %

2 %
10 %
2 %
20 %

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Not a significant source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium.

Ingredients
ORGANIC ROASTED PEANUTS, CONTAINS 1% OR LESS OF SALT.

and you can try different butters like sunflower seed butter which is usually lower in fat and higher in protein than reg. PB but still wicked tasty

mmmmmm Peanut Butter sandwiches....

Has anybody ever made homemade PB - or any other butter, for that matter? I imagine if you had a meat grinder or food processor, it wouldn't be that tough - just grind the nuts up, right?

feels weird about saying "grind" and "nuts" when talking about sandwiches

I use Trader Joe's Peanut Butter -- ingredients: Peanuts. Not even any salt. It's way cheaper than most other natural peanut butters (like $1.70 versus $4.50 for Crazy Richard's at Safeway, or even $2.70 for Safeway's brand). It also tastes the best of the ones I've tried. Also get an organic grape jam there; I'm not anal about organic, but it was the only one without high fructose corn syrup and all that other crap.

I have three PBJs a day, on whole wheat or ezekiel bread.

I also use either low fat PB or trader joes.

This may sound stupid, but when I use natural pb, I pour out the oil after it separates.

Also, there are some wicked good jellies flavored with splenda now.

hmm hmm good.

Almond Butter is the shizzle!

"I pour out the oil after it separates."

So isn't it all dried up when you go to use it the next day?

"Almond Butter is the shizzle!"

I've been thinking about trying that...isn't it a lot more expensive, though?

Eat an apple or three instead.

Ripe bananas are a good substyitute for jelly.

Grandpab

i eat smart balance. good but expensive.

Main stream brand P-nut butter = CRAP!

I second SCRAPPERS recommendation for Almond butter. I get all of my nut-butter from the local farmers market. All natural, organic...YUMMY!

TAKU

Thanks for the Almond butter tip Scrapper! I just picked up some from Trader Joe's and am addicted to it.