PC audio issue, need help

I've been working on this off and on for a few days. Today is my last day of vacation and I just want to play some games. It's frustrating.

So basically my onboard sound isn't working. I just built this computer last week. Everything was working fine until yesterday when I picked up a new video card. It's a PNY GeForce GT 630. I'm using windows xp pro 64.

Now my sound doesn't work. The weird part is, its not silent. I get this weird static/constant tone like I'm on a cb radio or something. My speakers are plugged into the back audio output on the motherboard and my headset is plugged into the front audio jack on the tower. So I know it's not the speakers or the headset.

Here are some things I've tried:

-removed video card
-removed/reinstalled drivers for the onboard audio and the video card (only because it comes with hd audio drivers for the HDMI port, I thought it might be conflicting.
-searched google, tried all the little trouble shooting things like opening volume controls and making sure the playback was set right.

After all of this I decided to boot into Ubuntu to see if it was just a windows issue, and it does the same thing there. Now I'm completely stumped but it makes sense because the sound starts after the bios loads right as either OS starts, not when you're actually logged in/on the desktop.

Any ideas? Phone Post 3.0

Oh, I also disabled the onboard video in the bios and booted up. It was silent.

Went back in and reenabled it - back to static/tone. Phone Post 3.0

You could save yourself some trouble and pick up a cheap sound card and say fuuu to onboard. Phone Post 3.0

Also have you downloaded the latest drivers for your mobo and gpu ? Phone Post 3.0

TheAxeMurderer84 - Also have you downloaded the latest drivers for your mobo and gpu ? Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I installed everything that came with the motherboard.

I also tried an old sound blaster audigy sound card because I didn't want to deal with the onboard issue. The sound drivers would install but the card wasn't being detected as a device. It had a yellow exclamation mark next to it in the device manager. So rather than start a new pain in the ass problem I went back to working on the onboard. Phone Post 3.0

Shoryuken Rw -
TheAxeMurderer84 - Also have you downloaded the latest drivers for your mobo and gpu ? Phone Post 3.0

I also tried an old sound blaster audigy sound card because I didn't want to deal with the onboard issue. The sound drivers would install but the card wasn't being detected as a device. It had a yellow exclamation mark next to it in the device manager. So rather than start a new pain in the ass problem I went back to working on the onboard. Phone Post 3.0
What is your mobo ?
Model and manf ? Phone Post 3.0

TheAxeMurderer84 -
Shoryuken Rw -

What is your mobo ?
Model and manf ? Phone Post 3.0
It's a Galaxy 78LMT-S2P Phone Post 3.0

Tiresias -

I believe that video card has an integrated sound card, no?

Did you look in control panel?  Maybe windows changed your default audio device to the one on your video card.

Yeah I checked. The Realtek onboard is selected everywhere in the control panel audio devices. Except the hardware tab shows all of the devices available but it just looks to be a list. No way to select one.

As far as I know the video card only has integrated audio for sound output through the HDMI port for when you hook up to a TV. I don't think it functions as a complete soundcard. Phone Post 3.0

What version if the realtek audio driver do you currently have ? Phone Post 3.0

TheAxeMurderer84 - What version if the realtek audio driver do you currently have ? Phone Post 3.0
Realtek High Definition Audio

11/5/13 Phone Post 3.0

Tiresias -
Shoryuken Rw - 
Tiresias -

I believe that video card has an integrated sound card, no?

Did you look in control panel?  Maybe windows changed your default audio device to the one on your video card.

Yeah I checked. The Realtek onboard is selected everywhere in the control panel audio devices. Except the hardware tab shows all of the devices available but it just looks to be a list. No way to select one.

As far as I know the video card only has integrated audio for sound output through the HDMI port for when you hook up to a TV. I don't think it functions as a complete soundcard. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, that's what I gathered from looking at it online.  I wonder if there's any way to split that audio signal out from the HDMI output somehow?  Maybe an audio out from the monitor?  I tend to doubt it.

When I used to record audio on pc a while back, I remember running into an issue where my sound card got into conflict with other devices that were using the same memory address or some shit.  I had to muck around in the device manager, moving things around, to get everything working together.

Yeah maybe with some kind of adapter.

I'm just confused as to why I have the same sound issue in 2 completely different operating systems. Ubuntu and XP.

It makes me think its hardware/bios related rather than software/driver.

But I can't think of what would cause it. Phone Post 3.0

Try
Uninstalling that exact realtek audio driver but make sure you have a backup of it on your PC.
Once you uninstall restart your PC.
Should see an unknown device in hardware tab, once you see this install newest audio driver and restart PC once again. Phone Post 3.0

TheAxeMurderer84 - Try
Uninstalling that exact realtek audio driver but make sure you have a backup of it on your PC.
Should see an unknown device in hardware tab, once you see this install newest audio driver and restart PC once again. Phone Post 3.0
I saw you mentioned you reinstalled them but did you restart in between ? Phone Post 3.0

TheAxeMurderer84 -
TheAxeMurderer84 - Try
I saw you mentioned you reinstalled them but did you restart in between ? Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I did. Phone Post 3.0

Shoryuken Rw -
TheAxeMurderer84 -
TheAxeMurderer84 - Try
Yeah I did. Phone Post 3.0
And even with the drivers uninstalled I was still getting the static/tone. Phone Post 3.0

Are you using your monitors speakers or do you have some small desktops plugged into the onboard ? Phone Post 3.0

TheAxeMurderer84 - Are you using your monitors speakers or do you have some small desktops plugged into the onboard ? Phone Post 3.0
I have stereo speakers plugged into the back directly into the motherboard and a headset plugged into the front ports on the computer case.

Both having same issue. Tried unplugging one/other and switching, etc. Phone Post 3.0

Been working on this for 7 hours, giving up now before my fist goes through the monitor.

But if anyone has any ideas I'm still looking for a solution. Phone Post 3.0

Are you positive you have the audio enabled in the BIOS ?

Also run Services.msc

and make sure windows audio is set to automatic and started

Download LatencyMon and run it.

LatencyMon checks if a system running Windows is suitable for processing real-time audio and other tasks. LatencyMon analyzes the possible causes of buffer underruns by measuring kernel timer latencies and reporting DPC and ISR excecution times as well as hard pagefaults. It will provide a comprehensible report and find the kernel modules and processes responsible for causing audio latencies which result in drop outs. It also provides the functionality of an ISR monitor, DPC monitor and a hard pagefault monitor.

LatencyMon will display the highest latencies of a kernel timer and report the highest execution times of ISR and DPC routines as well as hard pagefaults. In most cases it will also find the drivers and processes responsible for executing them. It will create a comprehensible report which also displays all sampled data in a detailed manner allowing you to perform in-depth analysis.

Also pull up the task manager, click the performance tab, and then click the Resource Monitor button. On the overview tab, click the CPU column to order your processes by those that are using the most CPU cycles. Does any single process stand out or use more CPU than it should be?