Pedro Munhoz: I won without a doubt

Pedro Munhoz lost a controversial Split Decision to Frankie Edgar at UFC on ESPN 15 on Saturday night. A dream team of MMA judges had scores all over the place, agreeing on only two of five rounds. That's appropriate, as the fight was extremely close, and perhaps came down to how heavily the calf kicks were scored.

Judge Sal D'Amato scored rounds 1, 3, 4, and 5 for Munhoz. Fan calls for consignment to the Steve Wonder Hall of Shame were perhaps muted to a degree when Edgar was unable to attend the post-fight press conference, as he was transported to the hospital. Judge Derek Cleary scored rounds 2, 3, and 5 for Edgar, while Eric Colon liked Edgar in 1, 2, and 5.

At the post-fight press conference, Munhoz was respectful of Edgar.

“He seems very healthy, he seems very strong, tough, good cardio, a lot of good skills,” said Munhoz. “He definitely belongs in the top-five of the division."

And the Brazilian was emphatic that the decision should have gone to him.

“Yeah, without a doubt,” he said. “I was just right now with the doctor getting some stitches and then some of my coaches, Dan Lambert, he was just showing me 17 of the media scores—20 media scores, 17 gave me the fight. Seventeen. So only three gave it to him. Also I saw the punching scores, I had the first, third, fourth, and fifth rounds.”

“A few times [I thought I had him in trouble], to be honest with you. Not taking anything from him, he’s a hell of a fighter. I have nothing but respect to him and all his team. I really feel and I saw a few times he was hurt and he’s pretty tough, so he hid that really good. I felt that throwing some crosses, some hooks, a couple of teep kicks on his body, the leg kicks he was hiding really good. Sometimes I was just faking that I’m gonna throw the kick and he was falling, so probably he was hurt. The last two fights, both my opponents just left me with scratches. They couldn’t walk out of the cage.”

“Not even the leg kicks. I hurt him with the jabs, I chased him five rounds. He got a couple of takedowns, but he couldn’t do anything with the takedowns, I got back up right away. I was looking for the finish.”

“I just want fair things, you know what I mean? I just don’t wanna lose to people that have a better reputation than I do or people that is a former champ, things like that. That’s my point. I want it just fair. Fair scores.”

What do you think UG, was the score fair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8SQbRh-oxE

h/t Alexander K. Lee for MMA Fighting

i had a bet on munhoz and had him down 2-0 after the first 2 and gave frankie rd 5 

i dont know about giving munhoz rd 5 

He lost. It wasn’t controversial.

2 Likes
akbar87 -

i had a bet on munhoz and had him down 2-0 after the first 2 and gave frankie rd 5 

i dont know about giving munhoz rd 5 

Nobody is scoring these the same, I had Frankie 2,4,5. I think it’s best to just call it a close fight and accept Frankie won a coin flip. 

4 Likes

Someone needs to tell these guys the only time there’s no doubt is if you finish someone 

3 Likes

It was a close and competitive fight, but he lost. Two of the judges got it correct. Edgar was the clear victor in my eyes. 

2 Likes

Frankie buckled his legs with that right hand in the fifth.

He lost 100%, maybe won first round, and then what i saw him eating combos all day long and headhunting, throwing jab and eating combo, throwing haymaker missing, few leg kicks, and bunch of eated combos, i was thinking what if Edgar changes fight pace and goes for knockout?

dude is delusional midget with twenty iq count

Very close fight. I thought Frankie won the 5th and that won him the fight. It wasn’t clear either way. 

5 Likes
Eskimo -

Very close fight. I thought Frankie won the 5th and that won him the fight. It wasn’t clear either way. 

This is how I saw it. Frankie dug deep in that 5th especially. Highly impressive. Pedro is no joke. 

It was close, shame someone had to lose. But a loss is such a huge set back when it comes to getting a title shot.

He needs to get back in that ring fast and finish whoever they put in front of him, the same way he finished Garbrandt.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of Frankie. With that being said, I scored the fight for Munhoz. I gave him rounds 1, 3 and 4. The striking was very close so I scored those in his favor based on damage and pressure. People are gonna make threads for weeks about how the judging is fucked up. However, this is one of those fights that you literally could argue either guy won all five rounds. That’s how close it was. Sometimes there will be fights like this, and people just have to accept it. 

4 Likes

Great fight!I hope they have another 5 round fight in the future

Anybody defending the judges needs to explain how Frankie won the 3rd round to me. I agree that it was a close fight, and I’ll concede some coin flip rounds so the cards will vary. But the 3rd was Pedro all day and the judge that gave that to Frankie was wrong and the decision maker. 

4 Likes

Munhoz stock didn’t go down at all in my eyes. He’s still a top five guy to me. Maybe he gets a slight step down in competition, he has the skill set to be champ and he’s 33 years old. He lost to Aljo in a competitive fight, and Aljo is clearly the best he’s ever been, and ready for a title fight. 

Then he lost a VERY close decision to Frankie which many thought he won, on a night where both guys looked great. I would like to see him against maybe Assuncao or Font (number 7 and number 8 at BW) and if he beats one of those guys I think he’d only need one more impressive win over a top 5 guy to fight for the belt. 

Perhaps Frankie can fight Sandhagen (they were supposed to fight already?), Munhoz can fight Font or Assuncao (if they aren’t booked), and Aljo fights Yan. The only thing I don’t like about this set up is it leaves Moraes without an opponent. So he can either fight Sandhagen and the winner gets a shot, or he waits and fights the winner of Aljo vs Yan. I like the latter much better as Moraes did beat Aldo, and I didn’t think he needed to fight anyone else as the number two guy at BW. 

The only other guy I see as being anywhere near title contention is probably Chito Vera, and I didn’t like the fact that he called out Rivera. I see Chito as having six wins in a row with five finishes. He deserves a bigger fight, but I don’t know if Aldo or Cruz are fighting anytime soon (they are ranked 9 and 10 respectively). I guess we will have to wait and see but Chito says he’s ready for another fight. 

You're welcome for sorting out the BW title picture, UG. BTW I use Tapology rankings. 

1 Like

These are the fights where while someone is awarded the decision there's no loser.  Frankie might have won the points battle with these given judges but no one won or lost that fight.  Good stuff from two great fighters.

They showed a tweet by Sam Alvey live before rd 5 where he said that he had it 3-1 Munhoz and Frankie needed a finish

I think Munhoz should fight Chito. That would be an exciting fight to see. I definitely had Frankie winning, but it was such a great fight that I don’t think Pedro lost stock. Let’s see Munhoz vs. Vera next! Maybe Frankie vs. Marlon next, too?

touch -

They showed a tweet by Sam Alvey live before rd 5 where he said that he had it 3-1 Munhoz and Frankie needed a finish

Yup. 1,3,4 for Munhoz. 

1 Like
MasterofMartialArts -

I’m a huge fan of Frankie. With that being said, I scored the fight for Munhoz. I gave him rounds 1, 3 and 4. The striking was very close so I scored those in his favor based on damage and pressure. People are gonna make threads for weeks about how the judging is fucked up. However, this is one of those fights that you literally could argue either guy won all five rounds. That’s how close it was. Sometimes there will be fights like this, and people just have to accept it. 

Could have gone either way, but i had it the same way as you for munhoz. I really think it should have been ruled a draw. An extra rd would have been fine with me. Frankie could barely walk when the fight was over. Thats gotta count for something.