Pedro Munhoz: I won without a doubt

KirkBJJ -

Anybody defending the judges needs to explain how Frankie won the 3rd round to me. I agree that it was a close fight, and I’ll concede some coin flip rounds so the cards will vary. But the 3rd was Pedro all day and the judge that gave that to Frankie was wrong and the decision maker. 

Also this

Had Frankie winning!

Except... you lost.

My scoring. Just rewatched it 5 minutes ago. I came up with the same score on the night.

Round 1: Munhoz 10-9. The striking and grappling was even so we go to Effective Aggression and then if that is even we go to Fighting Area Control. In my opinion Munhoz was more agressive as he was pushing Frankie towards the fence. But if you want to argue that Frankie was being just agressive with his combos then we can go to Fighting Area Control and Munoz wins that by putting Frankie towards the fence and taking control of the center of the cage. Munhoz 30 of 64 to Frankie 29 of 77.

Round 2: Frankie 10-9. Takedowns and Striking.

Round 3: Munhoz 10-9. Munhoz had a clear striking advantage in strikes landed. Munhoz landed 33 of 60 and Frankie landed 24 of 60. What I believe a lot of fans do not realise is that we do not count blocked punches, so when Frankie throws 3-5 punches and all but one are blocked that counts for 1 strike.

Round 4: Munhoz 10-9. Munhoz clearly outstuck Frankie. Munhoz 35 of 74 to Frankies 24 of 82.

Round 5: Munhoz 10-9. This one was clearly Munhoz to me. I counted the strikes myself and Munhoz was up by my count 5 good shots by the final bell. Munhoz was putting it on Frankie right before the horn also which usually sways some judges with short memories. Frankie landed some good shots but so did Munhoz, as a matter of fact I would say Munhoz landed the better shots with some big hooks. And the stats are there for this round also with Munhoz 47-95 to Frankie 33 of 83

To me this fight is a clear example of fans counting blocked shots and perceved volume of punches very highly for Frankie. And being dismissive of leg kicks landed by Munhoz.

Munhoz won that fight by every metric we have. Statistically Munhoz won that fight. He also hospitalised his opponent, so he did way more damage to his opponent. He was more agressive for every round except round 2 and controled the cage for every round except round 2.

Munhoz striking was clearly more effective.

I think we all just love Frankie Edgar so much that we wanted him to win.

1 Like

Frankie won 48-47, nothing controversial

I think there's a solid case for either of them winning the fight. It really depends what you look for the most or prefer in a fight. The slick movement and counter shots of Edgar or the aggressive come forward power shots and leg kicks from Munhoz. Neither guy has anything to hang their head about.

Hopefully Munhoz can get the loser of Moraes/Sandhagen or maybe a rematch with Assuncao or Rivera?

Very interesting division.

Pedro just has a horrible - Get in your face, lure out a punch, then counter with a bunch of hooks.

Aside for a few leg kicks, he was just headhunting all night, which isn't a championship level mindset or game plan.

1 Like

In a fight to the death, Munhoz might have won. He seemed to be doing more damage and hurting Frankie more even whilst getting clipped with the straight right and left hook. But I had Frankie 1, 2 and 5 IIRC. He won the sporting contest, and I thought he looked great doing it. Way to soldier through those leg kicks.

1 Like

I mean judging criteria for the most part can be ring generalmanship aka how well are you controlling the pace place and things happening inside the octagon then we got total strikes and imo signficant strikes and should add sub attempts escapes to that also but the commish knows the assholes arent intelligent enough concerning martial arts and its various disciplines to handle that…hell they cant get one 10-8 or even have the nuts to score a 10-8. It’s getting better, were seeing more 10-8’s but not close to enough.

Anyway you consider those things and the fact Frank led tds 3 to 1 I believe and held him there for a little while that one attempt the fact he was FORCED tto chase Frankie, I mean its Frank’s game we know hes going to stay busy. There is a huge difference between running from a fight and controlling pace n distance which he did was bell rang to bell rung. He also well Outlanded him. I 5hought the numbers were even a little more in his favor. Frank’s hands looked as fast as I’ve ever seen them and was landing a lot. Credit to Pedro dude is a bulldozer who walked thru some straights that would of put down a lot of good fighters. Subs attempts is a nonsequaitor none tried by either I believe. Anyway that’s off to Frank way to keep it going for us older cats. I thought Pedro fought a good fight but was too repetitive with walking forward looking to land the big shot and was much less the MMA fighter on this night. Excellent job again Frank.

SportScience - 

My scoring. Just rewatched it 5 minutes ago. I came up with the same score on the night.

Round 1: Munhoz 10-9. The striking and grappling was even so we go to Effective Aggression and then if that is even we go to Fighting Area Control. In my opinion Munhoz was more agressive as he was pushing Frankie towards the fence. But if you want to argue that Frankie was being just agressive with his combos then we can go to Fighting Area Control and Munoz wins that by putting Frankie towards the fence and taking control of the center of the cage. Munhoz 30 of 64 to Frankie 29 of 77.

Round 3: Munhoz 10-9. Munhoz had a clear striking advantage in strikes landed. Munhoz landed 33 of 60 and Frankie landed 24 of 60. What I believe a lot of fans do not realise is that we do not count blocked punches, so when Frankie throws 3-5 punches and all but one are blocked that counts for 1 strike.

Round 4: Munhoz 10-9. Munhoz clearly outstuck Frankie. Munhoz 35 of 74 to Frankies 24 of 82.

Round 5: Munhoz 10-9. This one was clearly Munhoz to me. I counted the strikes myself and Munhoz was up by my count 5 good shots by the final bell. Munhoz was putting it on Frankie right before the horn also which usually sways some judges with short memories. Frankie landed some good shots but so did Munhoz, as a matter of fact I would say Munhoz landed the better shots with some big hooks. And the stats are there for this round also with Munhoz 47-95 to Frankie 33 of 83

To me this fight is a clear example of fans counting blocked shots and perceved volume of punches very highly for Frankie. And being dismissive of leg kicks landed by Munhoz.

Munhoz won that fight by every metric we have. Statistically Munhoz won that fight. He also hospitalised his opponent, so he did way more damage to his opponent. He was more agressive for every round except round 2 and controled the cage for every round except round 2.

Yeah the leg kicks were big I forgot about those but did you not see Pedoros face after the fight? He looked like he had been in the tough fight he had been. Also how about we give Frank credit for toughing thru what we have seen in recent fights crumble guys with one well placed shot. Frank’s a beast man. He landed a couple shots that staggered Pedro and walking forward getting hit to throw one isnt a good strategy imo and Frankie won at more aspects of MMA and the toughness factor. That’s winning the fight imo.

1 Like

I had Munhoz in a close one 

SportScience -

Pedro was on the receiving end of the most effective head shot in the 5th.

1 Like
touch -

They showed a tweet by Sam Alvey live before rd 5 where he said that he had it 3-1 Munhoz and Frankie needed a finish

He also gets punched in the head for a living.... ;)

Nope. 4-1 Edgar, nothing to see here.

Frankie 1-2-5