Penn and Teller Fool Us - Season 03

New season started a few weeks ago. Great magic so far. Jonathan Ross was replaced by Alyson Hannigan.

opieandjimmy -
sreiter -

New season started a few weeks ago. Great magic so far. Jonathan Ross was replaced by Alyson Hannigan

How"s Michelle looking now? Phone Post 3.0

Michelle? 

sreiter -
opieandjimmy -
sreiter -

New season started a few weeks ago. Great magic so far. Jonathan Ross was replaced by Alyson Hannigan

How's Michelle looking now? Phone Post 3.0

Michelle?

The band geek Phone Post 3.0

Mahdi Gilbert's performance was touching. As a hobbyist illusionist, I find the ability to pull off sleight-of-uhhh-stump shocking. 

I love this show Phone Post 3.0

PangsUnwantedMongLoveChild -
sreiter -
opieandjimmy -
sreiter -

How"s Michelle looking now? Phone Post 3.0

Michelle?

oh...

she's eh..  Ross was great.

How often do they get fooled? Phone Post 3.0

sreiter -
PangsUnwantedMongLoveChild -
sreiter -
opieandjimmy -
sreiter -

How's Michelle looking now? Phone Post 3.0

Michelle?

oh...

she's eh..  Ross was great

Ross was fine. I assume that the producers felt that he wasn't really making a connection with the American audience. Hannigan is a face that most American people will recognize, making it more likely for the average channel-surfer to stop flipping channels when they see her face because they'll be more curious as to what the show is about.

Only time new host has been more than "meh" was when she was getting creeped out by the sword swallower.

The really socially awkward dude with the lentils was awesome.

TheBearStare - How often do they get fooled? Phone Post 3.0

Once or twice per episiode seems to be the norm, same as last season.

OJTT_Wiggy - Only time new host has been more than "meh" was when she was getting creeped out by the sword swallower.

The really socially awkward dude with the lentils was awesome.

Yeah, he was funny. I really enjoyed his performance. Even though he didn't fool P&T, you could tell that they loved every moment of his show.

Great show.  I've always loved Penn and Teller's dynamic.  I heard somewhere that they aren't friends irl.

Awesome show. Awesome concept. Phone Post 3.0

"I assume that the producers felt that he wasn't really making a connection with the American audience."

Biggest issue is magic lacks diversity. "Clever old white dude" is already well-represented on the FU stage.

Also, IIRC, Jonathan wasn't available on the day.

"I heard somewhere that they aren't friends irl."

They aren't enemies either. It's a business arrangement first.

BarkLikeADog - "I heard somewhere that they aren't friends irl."

They aren't enemies either. It's a business arrangement first.

There's a pretty significant age difference between the two as well. My impression was always that Penn sees Teller as a mentor of sorts and obviously as a business partner as well. I have no idea how much love exists between the two, but clearly, there is a lot of respect there.

Partner not mentor.

They are friendly just don't hang out.

BarkLikeADog - Partner not mentor.

They are friendly just don't hang out.

I've heard Penn speak about how Teller is far more skilled than he is when it comes to illusions. I also know that Teller is something of a walking encyclopedia when it comes to obscure tricks and the history of illusions. He's also reportedly an authority on Houdini. Much of what I heard Penn say screamed "mentor" to me, but I could be wrong. Maybe Penn just likes to make it sound that way.

I think the dynamic is a bit of a cross between the two.

I want to also say that I've heard Penn say on his podcast that they're really both kinda different guys outside of work, magic, business, etc. And that they spend so much time together with work (and have for decades now) that when they're not working, the last thing they wanna do really is hang out with one another - would rather do their own thing.

They're coworkers. After a long day at work, do you really feel like hanging out with the coworkers you just spent 9 hours with? Phone Post 3.0