Penn: So many people are telling me to fight again

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn is 41 and on an unprecedented seven-fight losing streak. He hasn't won a fight since knocking out Matt Hughes a decade ago. "The Prodigy" has retired twice before, and as he made clear during a recent Instagram Live chat with longtime coach Jason Parillo, Penn has not yet committed to a third and presumably final retirement.

“There’s so much people telling me to fight again," said Penn, as transcribed by Mike Bohn for MMA Junkie. "Other people telling me don’t fight again. It’s a lot to take in.”

“[Fighting] takes a lot of work. It takes too much. Too much f***ing work. At this age, it just takes too much f***ing work. You never know what’s going to happen, but it takes so much work.”

“If I could get anything else going in life than just a fistfight, it would be nice. But it’s so fun and I love the process and all those things about it. Then you get in the gym and start doing good with active fighters and next thing you know you’re trying to fight and biting off more than you can chew. You might be, you might not be. But the process itself it’s a lot to just do a camp or whatever.”

“I guess when you have something to prove that’s when you can fight the best. It’s like, ‘Hey man, you already proved yourself.’ It’s not about proving myself, I just really like doing this. But you can’t go out and keep getting hurt. That just don’t make sense to anybody.”

1 Like

Who are these people telling him to fight again and why do they want to see him hurt?

13 Likes

“There’s so much people telling me to fight again," 

Dont listen to the bouncers at the Lava Room. 

14 Likes

Whoever is telling him to fight is an idiot and doesn’t have his best interest in mind. 

2 Likes

Surrounded by yes men

2 Likes

I would love to see him fight again.  Never got the satisfaction of seeing him get KOd

3 Likes

I didn't really get into MMA until 2008 or so, so BJs glory days were almost at an end when I really got into the sport.  I thought he shouldve retired after Rory beat him badly.  I remember the draw with Jon Fitch, and Jon Fitch actually looked like a savage in the 3rd round.  Nick Diaz used him for a boxing clinic.  But still,  he fuckin took it. The Macdonald and Diaz fights shaved quality years off his life, and there is absolutely zero positive things he can prove.  A legend shouldn't be used as a litmus test to see if a young fighter is legit.  

1 Like

BJ was always lazy, and now he's old. Terrible combo, he should never fight again and anyone who tells him to needs to be cut out of his life.

6 Likes

MayorPirkle -

BJ was always lazy, and now he's old. Terrible combo, he should never fight again and anyone who tells him to needs to be cut out of his life.

This is ?? the truth. Great point.

1 Like

He might be able to beat Matt Hughes again

8 Likes

Those are just voices in his head. 

3 Likes

MayorPirkle -

Yeah I think it's quite common in young men who are that talented and naturally so far ahead of any of their peers. When he was young he could half ass it and screw around and he would still have his way with whoever he wanted. Obviously the game caught up to him and at the same time he got old. 

The people telling him to get back in there must be people who will make some $$$ from it because he is obviously waaaaaaaaaaay past being relevant. I don't even think he should fight some newbie scrub in a regional show. 

He even says it in that interview, "It's too much work". Young BJ couldn't be bothered to properly prepare for a fight, old CTE BJ sure as hell isn't. Everyone who has enabled him fighting since that gopher stance sideshow against I believe it was Edgar is an asshole who doesn't give a flying fuck about his well being.

1 Like

MayorPirkle - 

Crazy that a lazy guy could do what he did.  I think he didn't fulfill his potential but he won the Mundials and was a two time UFC champion; beat the 2nd greatest WW ever twice and was very competitive with the greatest WW ever in a 3 round fight..........he put in training at some point.

1 Like

Seats Taken -

Those are just voices in his head. 

Lolol

They are telling him to fight his alcoholism.

Stay inside bj

1 Like

Samoa -
MayorPirkle - 

Crazy that a lazy guy could do what he did.  I think he didn't fulfill his potential but he won the Mundials and was a two time UFC champion; beat the 2nd greatest WW ever twice and was very competitive with the greatest WW ever in a 3 round fight..........he put in training at some point.

Well yeah, but it's well documented that his preparation was lacklustre. He wasn't always in shape, he got by on his natural talent.

You would think he could let his competitive urges out in sport BJJ rather than MMA where the damage is so great. 

I wonder if he feels a lot of pressure to live up to his mundials victory as from what I remember that was his last type of grappling tournament. 

1 Like