People that dont like comics

Just havent found the right one? I mean with Manga's diversity of subject matter and Western comics becoming more plot driven and breaking into new genres it's becoming more like the movie world.

I heard a comparisson to novels from somewhere. Novels are like reading a Shakespear script and comics like going to see the live play.

Do I hold too much faith in comics now?

No, but I think different people need different stimulus.

I love comics for two reasons. I love the visual style of story telling. But most of all I get stories from comics that I can't get from 99% of prose fiction.

For every Starship Troopers, Enders Game, the Dresden Files, and Discworld novel there are thousands of shitty books that are all so similar that they should be same book or so un-entertaining that they are like reading a fucking text book.

I'm not a big fan of manga but my taste in manga are about as varied as my taste in prose.

I love Lone Wolf and Cub, Blade of the Immortal, and Planettes.

And when it comes to prose I may read a David Baldacci book one week, a Matt Reilly book (very nearly a comic) the next week, and then a non fiction book like Omnivore's Dilemma the next.

With comics, I read Justice Society, Walking Dead, Punisher, Ignition City, JLA: Classified, and numerous trades that range from cape books to none cape books.

I simply love to be entertained. Sometimes it's quality sometimes it's not. I just want to be happy.

I tell everyone I'm a big kid. I'm nearly 34. I have a wonderful family. A beautiful amazon wife who is one of my best friends, two smart kids, and a great job. And my favorite things are rasslin i.e. BJJ/sub rasslin, riding bikes (mountain bike for me), watching cartoons, reading comics, and playing in the woods i.e. mountain biking and trail running.

And luckily my wife and kids may not like everything I love but they all love a bit each.

Life is good. Comics and BJJ/submission wrestling, and playing out of doors are keeping me young.

Great response thank you Mule.

Comics are my favorite form of literature. That's all I know. Not helpful to this thread, but I had to say it.

I don't like comics. I love RPG's and video games though.

RedDragonUK -

I heard a comparisson to novels from somewhere. Novels are like reading a Shakespear script and comics like going to see the live play.

I would argue that if you have a decent imagination then reading a Shakespeare script is in many ways better than seeing the play performed.

Not that there isn't value in watching a play as a form of entertainment, of course. But the version which takes place in my head will usually be superior. The casting, acting, and directing will be perfect.

It's different if the play is a contemporary one, and you're seeing it performed exactly as the playwright intended. But with Shakespeare, there's no reason why the modern director's version is any better than the one you create in your mind as you read it.

i always thought the reason why comic book movies are top grossing is because its based on literature that is in between novel and a live movie.

comics rule.

This is turning into an interesting thread, makes a change for me lol.

IBI you have a point, I dont think the quote was meant to detract from novels but to put it in some kind of context, in relation to Comics.

i dont think the industry has to abandon super heroes to be legitimate adult entertainment. whether a piece of entertainment qualifies as worthy adult literature has more to do with the themes and how they are explored than it does whether or not a superhero appears.

imo what has kept comics from moving beyond the stereotype of 'kid's entertainment' have been the low demands the vast majority of comic books place on the reader. they tend to be juvenile, flashy, repetitive and written at a low reading level.

worst of all, they are often totally lacking sublety. since the vast majority of people have never read a comic book they have found challenging to understand or interpret, most peoples opinion of them is low

yeah but superheros move a vast volume of books compared to other genres, and they are the public face of comics to the overwhelming majority of non-hardcore fans. they dont have to be silly and juvenile. but as long as they are, no other genre will get a fair shake

People who don't lke comics?

Does such a thing exist? 

My mother (58yrs old) never understood comics until I gave her The Walking Dead Vol. 1 to read.3 Days later she was caught up to #60 and now when my subscription is delivered, she gets the new TWD before I do.I tried getting her to read Fables (read the first 2 trades) , Preacher ( first trade) and 100 Bullets (halfway through first trade) but she didn't take to them like I did.

I wasn't into comics until someone recommended WWHulk, now I follow both Hulk & Hercules

TomBSupraT - My mother (58yrs old) never understood comics until I gave her The Walking Dead Vol. 1 to read.3 Days later she was caught up to #60 and now when my subscription is delivered, she gets the new TWD before I do.I tried getting her to read Fables (read the first 2 trades) , Preacher ( first trade) and 100 Bullets (halfway through first trade) but she didn't take to them like I did.

A mom who likes Walking Dead is freakin' awesome.