People that Virtue Signal are Narcissists

New study links virtue signaling to "Dark Triad" traits. Being accused of "virtue signaling" might sound nice to the uninitiated, but spend much time on social media and you know that it's actually an accusation of insincerity. Virtue signalers are, essentially, phonies and showoffs—folks who adopt opinions and postures solely to garner praise and sympathy or whose good deeds are tainted by their need for everyone to see just how good they are. Combined with a culture that says only victimhood confers a right to comment on certain issues, it's a big factor in online pile-ons and one that certainly contributes to social media platforms being such a bummer sometimes.

Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Manipulators Are More Likely To Engage in 'Virtuous Victim Signaling,' Says Study

3 Likes

Yup.  

I feel like the majority of these idiots don’t even know what they’re out there protesting for.

1 Like

when the #MeToo bullshit movement came out, one of my wife's colleagues was all gung ho about "owning the MeToo" movement through various social media campaigns featuring himself and his views on #meToo

turns out, this fucking guy had #MeToo'd a bunch of women who came out in public against him once he started virtue signaling about the #meToo bullshit

alos this website has a few very vocal "anti racists"...who are projecting their own inner racism

one, in particular, is such a vocal "anti racist" accusing others of being racist but it turns out this "anti racist" is a self admitted "former racist" who wanted to be in the KKK LOL

2 Likes

is it the whole 'doth protests too much' ?

jkd_guy -

is it the whole 'doth protests too much' ?

If Shakespeare wasn't black your comment is raysiss

they are bored losers with no lives and no perspective on real life and obligation 

2 Likes

I feel like this is a water is wet type epiphany. Did anyone not think virtue signalers were ridiculous shitty people?

Hollywood and celebrities are the worst. Then you have weak minded idiots that eat it up and try to replicate it on social media or in the streets "protesting" for "justice". 

1 Like

Most people project there inner beliefs and/or fears.  Narcissist do this ad nauseum and need to be ignored.  Instead, the weak minded flock to them.

iclimb513 - I feel like this is a water is wet type epiphany. Did anyone not think virtue signalers were ridiculous shitty people?

I agree but it's still good to do scientific studies when something seems to be intuitively a certain way.

This is the core of the "it isn't enough to not be a racist. You have to be anti-racist" narrative.

100%

Of course they do. They’re begging for praise constantly. 

Hocky - 

Yup.  

I feel like the majority of these idiots don’t even know what they’re out there protesting for.

That's weird because when I read the headline I immediately thought of the OG's right wing blowhards screaming that the sky is falling every day.

We all know this. The thing is, how do we get these people to understand they are mentally ill? Impossible.

I'm no longer a Christian but virtue signaling reminds me of these verses said by Jesus.

Matthew 6
1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

mdmrules -
Hocky - 

Yup.  

That's weird because when I read the headline I immediately thought of the OG's right wing blowhards screaming that the sky is falling every day.

Everything is politics for you.

Go away pussy.

Stu Cazzo - 
mdmrules -
Hocky - 

Yup.  

Everything is politics for you.

Go away pussy.

Triggered?