periodization

"Periodization as variations in intensity: inescapable. Periodization as planned variations in intensity to optimize performance: witchcraft."

- Greg Glassman

Interesting quote. Where can it be found?

Is the unmitigated high intensity philosphy of Crossfit a positive or negative?

but many crossfit members can't afford periodization. military, cops, etc..

~Is the unmitigated high intensity philosphy of Crossfit a positive or negative?

I'd say positive, as long as you know what you're doing. You don't have to do 1.5 bodyweight for 40 reps of deadlifts without resting, it's just what they suggest. Lower at your discretion.

Calling science witchcraft is always funny.

Coach Glassman certainly is an interesting fellow, and damn good at preparing athletes for just about anything. Trust the man, he knows what he's talking about.

ChemicalSage- as I mentioned on the Crossfit thread I think that there is a lot to be said in favour of the Crossfit philosophy of training but I am not convinced that in the context of other grappling/mma workouts
constant anaerobic stress is either necessary or desirable.

I do not have experience in utilising crossfit workouts as part of an overall training plan but as I mentioned some mma competitors of my acquaintance found the workouts too draining on a daily basis.

Given the anaerobic system can be trained to max in about 6 weeks how much additional anaerobic training is really necessary?

I understand what he is saying but I don't understand why he thinks that way. Anyone care to explain?

ttt

I'd answer if I could, but this is beyond my capabilities.

Anyone have info on the effect of constant anaerobic stress? What are the benefits?

tudor bompa (the man who invented the concept of periodization)has a great book "periodization training for sport" that goes over many concepts. but it is rather advanced. it can be very helpful if you already have a base of knowledge in strength and conditioning

kissmyabjj,

Tudor Bompa didn't invent the concept of periodization he just popularized it. The concept itself is extremely old.

He actually has a book called "Periodization" which was originally published in the early 80s (it has been republished and updated several times since than) which is way better than his book "Periodization Training for Sport".

In his book "Periodization" Bompa talks alot about the different models of Periodization that have been used in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.

Another thing about periodization is it doesn't have to apply just to weight training. You can periodize anything and there isn't one way. There are several different models (which Bompa shows in his book Periodization).

Most of the so-called experts who are critical of Periodization are really be critical of a single Periodization model which every stupidly copied.

The concept of Periodization (divide training into different periods where different things are focused on and trained) is not only logical but natural (it essentially is the "time and season" prinicple used in most endeavors) and more important very diverse in it application.