Petition to make Machida vs Henderson a 5 rounder

Porkchop - Dude, calling the Hendo/Machida fight the people's main event is so disrespectful it's crazy.

People need to stop bitching. Women are headlining UFC's now - deal with it.

< Phone Post

Lazer MMA - 
Chris27 - 
Zaph - 
Porkchop - Dude, calling the Hendo/Machida fight the people's main event is so disrespectful it's crazy.

It's not meant to be disrespectful at all; it's simply realistic.  Title fight or not, the inaugural WMMA fight in the UFC hasn't really earned main event status.  I'm sure if we made a poll asking people which fight is more compelling between Machida - Hendo and Rousey - Carmouche, we'd get a pretty overwhelming majority vote for Machida vs Hendo.

That said, it really wasn't my point.  They can leave that as the main event if they want, but make Machida vs Hendo a 5 rounder.  They've had events with two 5 round fights before. 

Hendo/Machida isnt for a title.

It would completely disrespect wmma and that title if you make fights under it 5 rounds. You are basically saying Ronda, the div and wmma are shit and arent as important.

Even if that is the case, people can say they are more interested in Cowboy/Pettis or Page/Glover than they are the Fly title, they still arent making either of those fights 5 round fights.

You do this you are saying the titles mean nothing.

People are really hot over this one. IDGAF I'm buying and may not watch the even main event.

Hendo has been out over a year, Machida got his shot (which was questionable to give at 2-3 & yea revoked because he wanted a full camp LMFAO) with a 3 rounder Vs Bader. I'm cool with 3. Hendo can play the same game Page did for Rd.'s 1 & 2. Of course there is Machida's weakness in taking the overhand right which he must worry about too.

"he wanted a full camp, LMFAO" 

I don't get what's funny about a fighter wanting a full camp--or even half a camp to prepare for one of the best fighters ever. 

Zaph - 
Chris27 - Its not about saying the title fight shouldnt be 5 rounds.

You make a non title fight under a title fight 5 rounds because people are complaining you are shitting on that title and that div.

Just like if they did it for Glover/Page under the Fly title, it completely disrespects that title imo.

You make a non title fight 5 rounds in a main event when there isnt a title fight, thats fine, but you start doing it fights on a card under a title fight its shits on that belt.

I have a feeling if this fight was the co main event under GSP/Condit would fans be bitching and crying about it not being a 5 round fight?

Sure some would still want it to be 5 rounds because its a good fight but 90 percent of the calls for this fight to be 5 rounds are because its under a fight they feel shouldnt be a main event. Its under a wmma and that pisses them off that this fight in their eyes is being demoted for a shitty wmma fight nobody cares about.

I've never seen anyone complain because a non-title fight was 5 rounds.  Well, there may have been a few outliers, but mostly, people have been asking for important non-title fights to be 5 rounds.  I count myself among those people. 

Boxing has title fights and non-title fights go 12 rounds, why must MMA have more rounds for a title fight?  I would be perfectly happy if all high profile fights were 5 rounds.

You may take exception to 5 round non title fights, but to be clear, I don't.  I think both fights should be 5 rounds.  Realistically, there's a very low degree of probability that Rousey's fight will even make it to a second round anyway.  Machida - Hendo, on the other hand, could very well go 5 rounds.

yup. if these randomly selected main events for fuel and fx cards get 5 rds, why shouldn't a far more important fight like machida and hendo be 5 rds. the precedent needs to be set

Zaph - 

You make a non title fight under a title fight 5 rounds because people are complaining you are shitting on that title and that div.

Just like if they did it for Glover/Page under the Fly title, it completely disrespects that title imo.

You make a non title fight 5 rounds in a main event when there isnt a title fight, thats fine, but you start doing it fights on a card under a title fight its shits on that belt.

I have a feeling if this fight was the co main event under GSP/Condit would fans be bitching and crying about it not being a 5 round fight?

Sure some would still want it to be 5 rounds because its a good fight but 90 percent of the calls for this fight to be 5 rounds are because its under a fight they feel shouldnt be a main event. Its under a wmma and that pisses them off that this fight in their eyes is being demoted for a shitty wmma fight nobody cares about.

I've never seen anyone complain because a non-title fight was 5 rounds.  Well, there may have been a few outliers, but mostly, people have been asking for important non-title fights to be 5 rounds.  I count myself among those people. 

Boxing has title fights and non-title fights go 12 rounds, why must MMA have more rounds for a title fight?  I would be perfectly happy if all high profile fights were 5 rounds.

You may take exception to 5 round non title fights, but to be clear, I don't.  I think both fights should be 5 rounds.  Realistically, there's a very low degree of probability that Rousey's fight will even make it to a second round anyway.  Machida - Hendo, on the other hand, could very well go 5 rounds.

Why doesnt every just the shit and be real, this is because its under a womens fight, flat out.

Cowboy/pettis is imo a better fight, better suited to go 5 rounds, its also in the basically the same position Hendo/Machida is in. Either Gil gets the next shot or Pettis/Cowboy. Same with Hendo/Machida and AG, so the fight is just as important.

Where are the petitions for Cowboy/Pettis to be 5 rounds? the fight aint even the co main event, its the 3 fight down and its under a title fight in a div most fans dont like. But you dont see the same reaction from fans.

This is getting a huge reaction because its under a women's fight, its disrespectful to a legend like Hendo and a fighter like Machida to have their fight be demoted for a woman's fight nobody cares about or wants in the UFC.

Thats the real reason most fans are complaining, dont know why they just wont say it.

Never has the UFC had a non title fight be 5 rounds under a title fight yet they speak out when the first womens fight is the main event.

ufc98newb - 
Lazer MMA - 
Chris27 - 
Zaph - 
Porkchop - Dude, calling the Hendo/Machida fight the people's main event is so disrespectful it's crazy.

It's not meant to be disrespectful at all; it's simply realistic.  Title fight or not, the inaugural WMMA fight in the UFC hasn't really earned main event status.  I'm sure if we made a poll asking people which fight is more compelling between Machida - Hendo and Rousey - Carmouche, we'd get a pretty overwhelming majority vote for Machida vs Hendo.

That said, it really wasn't my point.  They can leave that as the main event if they want, but make Machida vs Hendo a 5 rounder.  They've had events with two 5 round fights before. 

It would completely disrespect wmma and that title if you make fights under it 5 rounds. You are basically saying Ronda, the div and wmma are shit and arent as important.

Even if that is the case, people can say they are more interested in Cowboy/Pettis or Page/Glover than they are the Fly title, they still arent making either of those fights 5 round fights.

People are really hot over this one. IDGAF I'm buying and may not watch the even main event.

Hendo has been out over a year, Machida got his shot (which was questionable to give at 2-3 & yea revoked because he wanted a full camp LMFAO) with a 3 rounder Vs Bader. I'm cool with 3. Hendo can play the same game Page did for Rd.'s 1 & 2. Of course there is Machida's weakness in taking the overhand right which he must worry about too.

I don't get what's funny about a fighter wanting a full camp--or even half a camp to prepare for one of the best fighters ever. 

Agreed, particularly against a fighter who choked you unconscious the first time you fought him.

That'd be like asking Machida to say "I think I lost the first time because I trained for the fight.  Let me try this again on short notice."

Signed Phone Post

Same with a card a few weeks ago, you had what Dana was calling a number 1 contender fight with Shogun/AG yet I didnt see anyone making petitions for Shogun/AG to be a 5 fight.

Why? Because it was under a LW title fight main event, a fight fans respected, a div fans respect.

They dont respect women's mma or this div or that title so thats why fans are coming out, atleast say it and stop pretending its about anything else.

Chris27 -
Why doesnt every just the shit and be real, this is because its under a womens fight, flat out.

I stopped reading after that first line.  Spare me your "cut the shit and be real" nonsense.  Don't presume to know my motives.  I explained myself, and my previous statements stand for themselves.  There have been events with two 5 rounders before, and they can do it again.  If Hendo - Machida were under a Jones - Silva superfight, I'd STILL be asking for a 5 rounder. 

ufc98newb - 
Lazer MMA - 
Chris27 - 
Zaph - 

Because it's a joke that he was not given a full camp and stripped of his shot because he said he need one!

Signed!!! Two legends fighting for the number one contender spot. This should absolutely be a five rounder no question.

I don't care if it's not the main event, that's fine, but fucking make it five rounds god damn it! If Hendo vs shogun were only three rounds we would have never known the greatest fight in mma history. (well top three for sure). Phone Post

Zaph - 
Chris27 -

I stopped reading after that first line.  Spare me your "cut the shit and be real" nonsense.  Don't presume to know my motives.  I explained myself, and my previous statements stand for themselves.  There have been events with two 5 rounders before, and they can do it again.  If Hendo - Machida were under a Jones - Silva superfight, I'd STILL be asking for a 5 rounder. 

First of all you voted me down for that? SMH. Second I know I was responding your posts but nothing I was saying was really aimed at you, it was more aimed at fans in general.

Chris27 - 
Zaph - 

Cowboy/pettis is imo a better fight, better suited to go 5 rounds, its also in the basically the same position Hendo/Machida is in. Either Gil gets the next shot or Pettis/Cowboy. Same with Hendo/Machida and AG, so the fight is just as important.

Where are the petitions for Cowboy/Pettis to be 5 rounds? the fight aint even the co main event, its the 3 fight down and its under a title fight in a div most fans dont like. But you dont see the same reaction from fans.

This is getting a huge reaction because its under a women's fight, its disrespectful to a legend like Hendo and a fighter like Machida to have their fight be demoted for a woman's fight nobody cares about or wants in the UFC.

Thats the real reason most fans are complaining, dont know why they just wont say it.

Never has the UFC had a non title fight be 5 rounds under a title fight yet they speak out when the first womens fight is the main event.

make that 5 rds too. if time is a problem, I would rather see a 4 fight card with three awesome five rd fights then a card with 5 or 6 fights that are not all main card worthy. mma's 3rd vs 5rd model is extremely flawed and taints fairness in competition. 

Chris27 - 
Zaph - 
Chris27 -

First of all you voted me down for that? SMH. Second I know I was responding your posts but nothing I was saying was really aimed at you, it was more aimed at fans in general.

Actually, it was accidental.  I meant to hit "quote."  I already left myself a reminder to vote you up tomorrow.  I hated your line, but I had no intention of voting you down.  I apologize and I promise to fix it.

Lazer MMA - 
ufc98newb - 
Lazer MMA - 
Chris27 - 
Zaph - 

Because it's a joke that he was not given a full camp and stripped of his shot because he said he need one!

pardon me. my comprehension was way the fuck off when i was reading that. agreed. and i agree with the hendo playing the rampage gameplan, but being a machida fan, I don't like it. I'll admit my bias on that

Bump.

No disrespect to any other fight or fighter on the card..... But make Hendo vs machida 5 rounds!! It's a no brainer. Both former champs close to getting a title shot again.

There are so many fights involving top guys that could have been totally different or enhanced if you added the extra two rounds, rampage vs rashad and Rampage vs Lyoto For example.

I didn't know it wasn't five rounds. That just bummed me out. Phone Post

'nother bump.

Zaph - 

fair enough. But at the Ultimate Fighter finale, I think the most exciting fight for the fans would have been Lombard vs Palhares but I didn't see a single thread about that being deserving of main even status.

This isn't the first time that a co-main event was more exciting for the fans than a main event, but the fan reaction towards this fight isn't proportional to what kind of reaction we get for other main events that aren't as exciting as the main events.

And on top of that.... who is to say that one fight is more exciting that another when they haven't happened yet? It's total speculation that the Hendo Machida fight will be better.

As for the Hendo Machida fight being 5 rounds, I'm actually all for that. The only thing that bothers me is the idea that the women shouldn't be headlining. The 125'ers did it and no one really complained. Maybe a few people did but no one took them seriously. The only difference here is gender.

So as I said, I'd agree that the Hendo Machida fight should be 5 rounds but what bothered me was when you called it the "people's main event". Because that is totally aligned with this idea that the women aren't qualified to headline which is total bullshit.

Porkchop -
Zaph - 

fair enough. But at the Ultimate Fighter finale, I think the most exciting fight for the fans would have been Lombard vs Palhares but I didn't see a single thread about that being deserving of main even status.

This isn't the first time that a co-main event was more exciting for the fans than a main event, but the fan reaction towards this fight isn't proportional to what kind of reaction we get for other main events that aren't as exciting as the main events.

And on top of that.... who is to say that one fight is more exciting that another when they haven't happened yet? It's total speculation that the Hendo Machida fight will be better.

As for the Hendo Machida fight being 5 rounds, I'm actually all for that. The only thing that bothers me is the idea that the women shouldn't be headlining. The 125'ers did it and no one really complained. Maybe a few people did but no one took them seriously. The only difference here is gender.

So as I said, I'd agree that the Hendo Machida fight should be 5 rounds but what bothered me was when you called it the "people's main event". Because that is totally aligned with this idea that the women aren't qualified to headline which is total bullshit.

Thanks for clarifying. For me, the "people's main event" comment was more about the fact that two seasoned veterans who've both held major titles is a bigger draw for most fans than a fight between two people who never fought in a UFC before. Phone Post

signed

Everyone knows the main event is going to last less than five minutes.  Might as well give Hendo & Machida the extra time.