Petr Yan defends stoppage vs. Jose Aldo

Round 5 of Petr Yan vs. Jose Aldo was painful to watch. Aldo's fans - which is everyone, including Yan - saw the inaugural UFC featherweight champion sustaining extended punishment without offering intelligent defense, before veteran referee Leon Roberts finally stopped the fight awarding Yan the TKO.

There was widespread expression, including from the commentary booth, that the fight needed to be stopped early, but at the post-fight press conference, Yan did not agree.

“I think everything was right,” Yan said. “It was a championship fight between two warriors. Just not to leave any questions behind, the referee made that choice.”

“I’m certainly happy to win this belt in such difficult times. It was my longterm goal. … Everything went excellent. We knew it was going to be a tough fight, but I had everything perfect.”

“I want to take a rest now, recover, go back to my homeland to see my family, and then it’s the work of my management team. In my first 18 months, I had six fights. I’ve never said no to an offer, so I’ll probably find out soon. … I think October will be a perfect time [for his first title defense].”

“I think Aljamain Sterling deserves to fight for the title. He’s on a good streak. He beat a lot of good guys.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-NgrbTBws

Nolan King and John Morgan for MMA Junkie

1 Like

I had 6 fights in first 18 months, I want to take rest now. Make first defense in October…in 3 months.

No Mercy wanted a death in the cage.

Colby Covid19ington - I had 6 fights in first 18 months, I want to take rest now. Make first defense in October....in 3 months.

Yeah when reading that I figured he was going to take the rest of the year off, good deal I like to see active fighter's 

No Mercy earned his nickname but blame the ref, not him.

That took 5 years out of Aldo, at one point I thought his corner should have thrown in the towel.

I think it was a very late stoppage and the ref should have stopped that easily 20-25 hits to the head before it ended.

1 Like