Petty complaint: UFC ranking numbers

This is petty, but c'mon UFC, can you rank the champion in the weight class as #1, the number one contender as #2, and so on?

It annoys me far more than it should to see the guy with the #1 next to his name not be the best guy in the division (the champion), but instead be the best non-champion.

I just read it as number ONE contender, number TWO contender, etc. I get your point though.

I agree. It always makes me go, wait what... oh.. yea. Fucking dana. Lol. Phone Post 3.0

Signed. 

Yeah Phone Post 3.0

Also can you please quit using UFC and spell it out as "ultimate fighting championships".

You guys are so confusing. Phone Post 3.0

I agree with the numbering being weird, number them as their rankings not as their ranking below the champ Phone Post 3.0

Disagree with OP. The champion is not ranked in his division. He is the champion.

I think the same way. Last ufc I saw with my parents and they asked me about it too and when I told them the champ is (c) they looked at me like I was retarded lol. Phone Post 3.0

Agree. The top ten is really the top eleven. Phone Post 3.0

JackintheCrack - 

I just read it as number ONE contender, number TWO contender, etc. I get your point though.

Yep. I definitely agree with OP, but this is what I had to do for it not to bother me.

JackintheCrack - 

Maybe if they put it like...

Champion: Jon Jones

Contenders:

#1 - Alexander Gustaffson

#2 - Daniel Cormier

#3 - Anthony Johnson

and so on.

So the #1 contender would be ranked #2?

time traveling 12er - So the #1 contender would be ranked #2?
Yes. The number one contender isn't always second place in the division. Somebody's rank doesn't change just because they're fighting for the title.

Champ is number one in the division. Number one contender is number one contender, that's it. Phone Post 3.0

Axel Foley - 
time traveling 12er - So the #1 contender would be ranked #2?
Yes. The number one contender isn't always second place in the division. Somebody's rank doesn't change just because they're fighting for the title.

Champ is number one in the division. Number one contender is number one contender, that's it. Phone Post 3.0

that makes more sense. So basically there is no contender ranking aside from the immediate title picture. So if say a fighter is the top fighter not to be a champ, if he is scheduled to fight someone else he wouldn't be #1 contender because of scheduling.

JackintheCrack -

Yeah but OP has a point. They're rarely called contender.

Example : "ranked 10 in the division" should actually be for the number 9 contender. Phone Post 3.0

stevekt - Disagree with OP. The champion is not ranked in his division. He is the champion.
Of course they are ranked.

Be like in tennis the number 1 seed being the number 2 player. Phone Post 3.0

Triangle Smoke -
stevekt - Disagree with OP. The champion is not ranked in his division. He is the champion.
I may be retarddddded but I disagree.

Let's say Serra was ranked 20th in the welterweight division, but then one punches GSP and becomes champion?

Sorry #1 contender, you dropped 4 spots because the ufc said so, and now your pay is affected in the reebok deal.

Matt sera, jumps 19 spots to become the number one ranked guy......

Fujita almost beating Fedor. Fujita who was ranked like....not even top 10?

Would he be ranked #1 at that time had he won?

Jumps cro cop, Nog, etc etc.

I feel you can become the champion, and not be the best guy in the division. What if Joe Soto won against TJ? Phone Post 3.0
Similarly when shogun was robbed against machida Phone Post 3.0

This has annoyed me since day one. Always be dumb when watching the build up to fights and knowing how misleading it is.

UFC logic. If guy appears to be ranked higher then fans will think the fight matters more. Phone Post 3.0

Triangle Smoke -
I may be retarddddded but I disagree.

Let's say Serra was ranked 20th in the welterweight division, but then one punches GSP and becomes champion?

Sorry #1 contender, you dropped 4 spots because the ufc said so, and now your pay is affected in the reebok deal.

Matt sera, jumps 19 spots to become the number one ranked guy......

Fujita almost beating Fedor. Fujita who was ranked like....not even top 10?

Would he be ranked #1 at that time had he won?

Jumps cro cop, Nog, etc etc.

I feel you can become the champion, and not be the best guy in the division. What if Joe Soto won against TJ? Phone Post 3.0
Well then they have a top ten where the champ isn't number. But it should be a top ten which includes the champion in it. Phone Post 3.0