Peyton = Steve Young?

I really have a feeling this is finally Peyton's year. (Although this is the 3rd year in a row I've been saying that...)

Peyton reminds me of Steve Young in that people started to doubt that Young would ever win the big one after several subpar playoff performances, following amazing regular seasons. The pressure started to build on him.

Young could never beat the Cowboys, never out-perform Aikman.

Then one year, he finally did beat the Cowboys and out-perform Aikman, who played a terrible game, and he then went on to the SB and dominated the Chargers.

He exorcised all his demons in that 1 year.

The stars are aligning for it to pan out almost exactly the same way for Peyton this year.

I've always thought that Peyton just has too much talent, and also enough talent around him, to finally break through one year.

And now with the Colts at home against their archnemesis, the Pats, and Peyton against his own personal rival, Brady, this is the perfect opportunity to exorcise all his demons the same way Young did.

Just one year, just one championship, is all it takes to remove the "choker" label for good and to avoid all the back-handed comparisons to Dan Marino and all the whispers about not being able to win when it counts.

Also, Peyton has not really played that well so far in the 2 playoff games.

But his team has still won.

And I just don't see Peyton playing 3 subpar games in a row, especially at home. Plus nervousness usually fades with experience. The jitters should be gone by now, and Peyton will finally remove the albatross from his neck.

(But if they lose to the Pats again, especially at home, and Peyton plays poorly again, it will really continue to mind-fuck him.)

i think peyton will finally beat NE but lose in the super bowl

I hope he loses again, wouldn't want to break the storied Manning tradition now would we?

Colts have a great shot to win next week IMO.

thing is though, Peyton hasn't really palyed that well so far in the playoffs. He's gotta outplay Brady next week, no more Ty Law and Rodne yHarrison will probably be out, so I will have to say Colts will finally go to the super bowl

The fact that Peyton hasn't played well in the playoffs yet and still the Colts have won both games actually bodes well for him, imo.

First, he should be due for a great game.

Second, the reason his performances so far would be considered subpar are because of moments of poor decision-making that resulted in costly INTs. Otherwise, his passing was still generally good.

I think by getting more reps in on one postseason, he is more likely to have gotten the jitters out of the way, and get into a groove. I think he has never played as well in the playoffs as in the reg. season because of nerves.

But with his defense playing well, and especially with home field advantage, he might be more relaxed. Also, he has been able to beat the Pats in the reg. season, so he can draw confidence from that and help hurdle any mental block.

DL, all valid points. But the way Peyton has everything lined up in his favor really reminds me of Young's situation because he has been given a great opportunity to not only reach the SB, but in the process to also get over on his main nemeses, Brady and the Pats, just like Young did with Aikman and Dallas.

But you're right, Young got criticism because he was running essentially the same offensive personnel as when Montana left, but Montana was generally able to play well in the playoffs and win SB's, while Young struggled at first. But I agree, it was premature, but that was the reasoning.

The RAVENs had the best NFL defense...and they showed it to Indy. But Peyton got them into field goal range...and Vinny took the rest.

I think it'll be a good game. Bellicheck usually wins when facing a team a second time around in a season following a loss. I think he has only 1 or maybe 2 losses since he's been with the Pats in circumstances like that. He's great at breaking teams down and coming up with a game plan looking at film of them playing other teams; nevermind when he can see what they did to win against his team.

I obviously would like to see the Pats trounce the Colts and watch Peyton tear up in frusteration. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Peyton finally exorcise the demons. I feel bad for the guy. Of course that will likely mean more commercials, so hopefully he'll get stomped again.

as if there is any doubt, pats win big

"Peyton reminds me of Steve Young in that people started to doubt that Young would ever win the big one after several subpar playoff performances,"

tf?

Before the SB season, Steve Young was 2-2 in playoffs, his team having scored at least 20 points in every game.

Peyton Manning lost his first three games, having scored 16, 17, and 0.

"The fact that Peyton hasn't played well in the playoffs yet and still the Colts have won both games actually bodes well for him, imo."

Peyton didn't play a good game until his 4th year. Followed by two colossal chokes against NE, and mediocre performance against Pittsburgh.

Indy may win this game, but a good big-game performance from Manning is the exception, not the rule.

pats win big

Colts win bigger

"Before the SB season, Steve Young was 2-2 in playoffs, his team having scored at least 20 points in every game."

Yeah, but he still committed a lot of turnovers even in the wins and his level of play was far decreased from his regular season, just like Peyton.

Also, up until the SB season, Young and the 49ers could never beat the Cowboys both in the reg. season and the playoffs, and Young was consistently outplayed by Aikman.

"That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Peyton finally exorcise the demons. I feel bad for the guy. Of course that will likely mean more commercials, so hopefully he'll get stomped again."

Couldn't have put it any better. Feel pretty much the same way. Feel sorry for him, but damn, NFL is really pushing him as their poster boy.

Jesus, talk about exorcising your demons. That couldn't have gone any more therapeutically for Peyton. If he could have written his own storybook arc for the game, it just could not have been any more perfect than how it played out.

After first playing like his usual shitty playoff-self, he leads his team to a big comeback victory over his team's archrival, with his own personal archrival throwing an INT to end the game.

TTT