PFS ?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here is certified in PFS under Paul Vunak?

There is a guy around my area that is, but he got his certificate from weekend camps that PV hosts. I was curious to know if anyone else got their certification that way?

I realize that everyone doesn't have access to the kind of teachers they would like, so the camps seem like a good idea.

However, I was wondering what one could learn good enough to teach after a weekend?

It looks like the guy goes 1x a year, so I guess he has been doing it awhile, but only training with PV a few days a year seems like it wouldn't be enough.

I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful to PV or any of his guys, I would just like to get the opinions of people that have done the training, or have worked out with someone who was taught through the camps.

Thanks alot,
Joe

Hi Joe:

I'm certified under PFS, but not through the weekend program. I personally don't agree with it.

There are quite a few EXCEPTIONAL PFS instructors out there, and it's good to seek them out. Where are you located?

The types of certifications that Paul gives after one of the weekend camps are very limited. They do not liscense the instructor to become a "JKD" instructor, in fact they are certified to teach a very small amount of information. The purpose of these types of certifications is to get training groups developed where one person goes and gets information from Paul or one of his guys and then brings it back to the group.

I haven't been to one of his camps but I trained with one of his full instructors who is also certified by Dan Inosanto.

"The types of certifications that Paul gives after one of the weekend camps are very limited. They do not liscense the instructor to become a "JKD" instructor, in fact they are certified to teach a very small amount of information. The purpose of these types of certifications is to get training groups developed where one person goes and gets information from Paul or one of his guys and then brings it back to the group."

The problem is, people DO use it as a certification to teach. On top of that, they are then listed on his webpage under the "Instructor" link and given the title of "instructor" of different levels.

I had a student a long time ago that was in his thirties, a Marine, Black Belt in TKD, etc. He was not one of my best students by a long shot. He rarely even trained as he preferred to sit on the sidelines and watch while nursing a supposed injury. When he did train, it was never at a high intensity or performance level. He was a very high level video warrior, though. He spent THOUSANDS of dollars on every video he could buy looking for all the 'secrets' he could find.

Well, apparently he got tired of actually having to train to get somewhere, so he hops on a plane, spends a weekend and a couple grand...PRESTO!!! Instant instructor.

He had NO qualms about telling people how he was a certified "JKD" instructor under Vunak. He eventually moved away and has been seeking out all that 'deadly' RBSD stuff now. He still doesn't train and now he can add "CERTIFIED JKD INSTRUCTOR" to his resume after a weekend of training.

Yeah, that's why I hate that program.

It doesn't differentiate between the weekend warriors and the people who earned their certifications legitimately, through years of good ole' bst, and then some.

4 Ranges,

I am in Elkton MD.

Some of the above conversation is what I am worried about.

Thanks for the replies.

hey scrnm:

drop me an email at badfactory1@yahoo.com.

I'm a PFS guy (or atleast I used to be) but I have hundreds and hundreds of hours of training under my belt and I DO NOT consider myself an instructor and I have NOT taken the course.

I know a guy in my area who took the weekend course and now charges $85 a month to train with him . . . he knows dookus. He's a fake, a phony, he know's it and so does every other "real" JKD person around.

The entire system of certifications and camps is being revamped because many people did take advantage of the program and present themselves in a manner not intended by the organization.