Phil Baroni on Yellow Cards

Haven't seen any separate threads yet but thought it deserved one. Did anyone see the Q&A vid of Phil Baroni on the Tiger Muay Thai post?

He was asked about fighters coming from Pride to UFC. He pointed to yellow cards, and whether that's completely at fault or partially, I think it's something that isn't debated as much on this forum. Most people point to steroids or the cage or other things. In his point, the cage wouldn't matter because you'd get a yellow card for holding a guy against it for 3-5 rounds, ala Randy... He jokes that it ain't steroids because he thinks guys are STILL on steroids (at least I think he was joking...).

Point is, he says that yellow cards forced you to go out guns blazing and finish a fight. In UFC guys can be more slow, paced, and methodical about the approach. SO Pride fighters had to adjust to that more than anything.

Maybe someone can repost that video. Thought it would make an interesting discussion...

I personally would love to see yellow cards in the UFC.

GSP and Fitch were among the first to come to mind. Though if forced, I could see GSP figuring out how to adjust to a new game plan. But would certainly give certain guys a better chance against him.

HollywoodHendo -  If UFC had yellow cards, GSP would have no paycheck by the end of his fights.

LOL

He would have lost money against Hardy, that's for sure.

HollywoodHendo -  If UFC had yellow cards, GSP would have no paycheck by the end of his fights.

Actually they'd give the yellow cards to the people on bottom for stalling and being too defensive.

puddlesmith - 

Actually they'd give the yellow cards to the people on bottom for stalling and being too defensive.
that doesn't make sense, IMO....it's up to the person on top to do damage or advance their position....especially if they are the one that initiated the takedown...they should be forced to do something with a takedown as opposed to just sitting there and peppering away shots.

Most guys on the bottom are trying to get up or sweep anyways.

No, I think mostly wrestlers would get the yellow card. Guys who try to hold others against the cage standing, ala Randy, or guys who hold dudes down, ala Fitch or GSP.

In the case of fights like SIlva vs Leites, maybe they'd both get???

But Phil goes as far as to say it's the MAIN thing Pride fighters had to adjust to in UFC over any other factor. Opinions?

as far as the "main" adjustment, i would think that fighting in a cage would be 1.

2, would be the round length differential and 3 would be the yellow card issue.

just my opinion.

and people use GSP as a reference ? idiots

keepthechange - and people use GSP as a reference ? idiots

Haters going to hate.

Fitch would be broke.

I think the ten min round was a huge factor. people couldn't rely on getting ahead in quick bursts like they do in the UFC - winning the first five minutes with a takedown simply was not possible in PRIDE.

the yellow cards + 10 minute rounds is the biggest reason why there were so many finishes in Pride.

if you have to fight at a high pace for 10 minutes straight, someone is probably gonna make a mistake and get caught.

GSP wouldn't ge tone yelow card in his last fight...he constantly past and tried to work for submissions.

Not doing physical damage doesn't lead to a yellow card. Not trying to force any action or just sitting in guard doing nothing gets you a yellow card. GSP was pretty active though, he didn't really stall too much, and was moving around constantly.

Arona barely got any yellow cards in Pride

I would like to see the ring card girls issue the yellow cards.

They could have pretty little hearts and rainbows on them.

BanTheUKmmaNoobs - GSP was scared to stand with Hardy. It's supposed to be a fight, not a wrestling match.

GSP would have overtaken Yvel for the number of yellow cards collected in his fights, if he fought in Pride.

It's supposed to be a mixed martial arts match, not a kickboxing/boxing match.

The Sultan - 
puddlesmith - 

that doesn't make sense, IMO....it's up to the person on top to do damage or advance their position....especially if they are the one that initiated the takedown...they should be forced to do something with a takedown as opposed to just sitting there and peppering away shots.

Most guys on the bottom are trying to get up or sweep anyways.

if green namers dont get it, we cant expect just bleeders to.

we're fcked.

BTR - 
Point is, he says that yellow cards forced you to go out guns blazing and finish a fight. In UFC guys can be more slow, paced, and methodical about the approach. SO Pride fighters had to adjust to that more than anything.

Completely disagree.