Phil Davis Makes Coleman and Kerr Look Like Ali

I'm not sure that he landed a punch. It looked like he was interntionally trying to miss everything by six inches. He made Rumble Johnson look like Floyd Mayweather and Rumble was just standing there flat footed.

Davis is a wrestler with subs, and that's it. Jake Shields and Demian Maia have better striking. Kru Matt Hughes showed better striking.

That was some UFC 10 shit in 2014. 

I think you are downplaying Rumbles defensive boxing, which was on point last night.

However, saying that, Davis really needs to work on his standup, if he can't get someone to the ground.

Rumble was in range and relaxed, but he's not Hopkins in there. Most of Davis' missed shots were out of pure timiditity. He'd flick something without intending to land it, or has a terrible depth perception problem. 

Davis showed the worst display of MMA boxing in a major promotion since the 90s.

Some guys just can't ever develop certain skills.

Jake Shields has been working striking for what, a decade? Still sucks. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think it's so much that he was terrible(although that was part of it) I think it was more so that anything he threw Rumble would make him pay. Phone Post 3.0

nostripe - Some guys just can't ever develop certain skills.

Jake Shields has been working striking for what, a decade? Still sucks. Phone Post 3.0

Jake Shields is awkward and not very quick or athletic, but he's a far more effective striker than Davis. Jake looks awful doing it, but his striking is not nearly as ineffective as Mr Wonderful

indianrob - I don't think it's so much that he was terrible(although that was part of it) I think it was more so that anything he threw Rumble would make him pay. Phone Post 3.0

It was a combination. It was both terrible and Rumble was firing missles at him, so Phil was reluctant to commit and get countered. 

After their first exchange Rumble scared the bejeezus out of him. Phil puckered up after that and stayed waaaaay on the outside. Not like it would have helped, his striking is pedestrian as Lupo stated.

Yeah man I think we learned that Phil does NOT like to get hit. All is fine when he can get his opponent down at will. He seriously may be rethinking his career choice. He seemed shell shocked after getting blasted a few times. Phone Post 3.0

I think Davis found out the hard way that there are guys he's not going to be able to take down. He got beat up for three rounds Phone Post 3.0

IMO, Davis seems like he's always going to be a mid-card guy. If his strengths are in play, he'll be able to make some fighters (even good ones) look awful. However he's going to look just as bad himself against other opponents.
He's like a better version of most of those pedestrian BJJ black belts that show up on every TUF show.

Bobby Lupo - 

I'm not sure that he landed a punch. It looked like he was interntionally trying to miss everything by six inches. He made Rumble Johnson look like Floyd Mayweather and Rumble was just standing there flat footed.

Davis is a wrestler with subs, and that's it. Jake Shields and Demian Maia have better striking. Kru Matt Hughes showed better striking.

That was some UFC 10 shit in 2014. 

That Kru Matt Hughes line cracked me up something fierce. 

If ever there is anything I could do, let me know?

Domingo - IMO, Davis seems like he's always going to be a mid-card guy. If his strengths are in play, he'll be able to make some fighters (even good ones) look awful. However he's going to look just as bad himself against other opponents.
He's like a better version of most of those pedestrian BJJ black belts that show up on every TUF show.

I get the impression that he's really holding back in the cage. Not that I expected him to become the next Jon Jones, but I pegged him for the JDS to Jones' Cain.

Davis has a world class chin, his wrestling is fantastic, he's got an 80" reach, he's moves well, he has subs that work with his wrestling base, but something is missing. Maybe it's an intangible like killer instinct or something, but whatever it is it's keeping him in the middle of the pack.

He can snap a jab really well, so it's not a matter of ability or training, it's most likely mental.

Some guys have all the best ingredients, but still make a bland meal. 

Bobby Lupo - 
Domingo - IMO, Davis seems like he's always going to be a mid-card guy. If his strengths are in play, he'll be able to make some fighters (even good ones) look awful. However he's going to look just as bad himself against other opponents.

I get the impression that he's really holding back in the cage. Not that I expected him to become the next Jon Jones, but I pegged him for the JDS to Jones' Cain.

Davis has a world class chin, his wrestling is fantastic, he's got an 80" reach, he's moves well, he has subs that work with his wrestling base, but something is missing. Maybe it's an intangible like killer instinct or something, but whatever it is it's keeping him in the middle of the pack.

He can snap a jab really well, so it's not a matter of ability or training, it's most likely mental.

Balance, he has none when striking, scared to stay close.

Donoghue88 - 
Bobby Lupo - 

Balance, he has none when striking, scared to stay close.

I think that's a good observation. He gets skittish when he's in a puncher's range. It might be a Brock kind of deal with him. Contrast that with Jones who went in the phonebooth with one shotter GloTex. That's the difference beween good and great.

I thought the training with Gustafsson would have improved Gus' wrestilng and Phil's striking, but it only seemed to work out for one of them. 

yeah Davis doesnt commit to his strikes like most fighters..Davis just flicks his punches out and backs up...what also is strange is Davis is not an explosive striker like AJ so that hurts his striking game..Davis needs to really work on his striking game...right now, he is almost one-dimensional..

His head is not in the right place.

I think he may have surrounded himself with yesmen.

It seem like a lot of those alliance guys like to dance around and not really sit down on their punches. One of the issues which Davis's striking is he's always hopping or shifting is weight as he's throwing shots. Esp his kicks. We see a bit of the same from Cruz and Gus, though they are more effective with that style than Davis. Phone Post 3.0

Davis needs a new camp.

Agree. He can't strike Phone Post 3.0