Phil Davis Makes Coleman and Kerr Look Like Ali

i think he felt Rumble's punching power very early in those first exchanges and then didn't want any parts of that punching power of johnson. my perception of the fight. not that davis was terrible, he just knew he couldn't throw anything without paying a price, that's why he satyed on the outside trying to hit him from far away, looking sloppy doing it

By the midway point of the first round Davis was rattled. He seemed to flinch at every feint and became very timid. 

VinegarStrokes - 

By the midway point of the first round Davis was rattled. He seemed to flinch at every feint and became very timid. 

exactly

he doesn't plant his feet. no power on anything. those strikes aren't designed to hurt anyone. this guy came up learning how to game the system and win decisions, those punches are like the punches that nameless henchmen throw in bad action movies. like they're supposed to signal "i'm throwing a punch" but they're not supposed to actually land

Phil Davis looked awful, clueless and outmatched. No flow to his striking, whatsoever. Accuracy nonexistent. It's like he were competing in a bouncing contest.

Bobby Lupo - 
Domingo - IMO, Davis seems like he's always going to be a mid-card guy. If his strengths are in play, he'll be able to make some fighters (even good ones) look awful. However he's going to look just as bad himself against other opponents.
He's like a better version of most of those pedestrian BJJ black belts that show up on every TUF show.

I get the impression that he's really holding back in the cage. Not that I expected him to become the next Jon Jones, but I pegged him for the JDS to Jones' Cain.

Davis has a world class chin, his wrestling is fantastic, he's got an 80" reach, he's moves well, he has subs that work with his wrestling base, but something is missing. Maybe it's an intangible like killer instinct or something, but whatever it is it's keeping him in the middle of the pack.

He can snap a jab really well, so it's not a matter of ability or training, it's most likely mental.

Some guys have all the best ingredients, but still make a bland meal. 

Too much Arsenio Hall, not enough Mike Tyson.

nostripe - Some guys just can't ever develop certain skills.

Jake Shields has been working striking for what, a decade? Still sucks. Phone Post 3.0
Rashad made Davis look real bad as well. Davis needs better striking or he is going nnowhere. Phone Post 3.0

Mr. BLUNDER- full imo.

HAHAHA HAHAHA

Ohhhhhhhhh

........ Phone Post 3.0

indianrob - I don't think it's so much that he was terrible(although that was part of it) I think it was more so that anything he threw Rumble would make him pay. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah...he was fighting scared. Phone Post 3.0

Full respect to Rumble for having the TDD to expose this glaring chink in Davis' armor. After Rashad and Rumble, all of 205 knows that if you can stop his TD, he doesn't have a plan B. He's just going to shadowbox