Philosophy is not dead Steven, but you are

Lol!

Lol?

Lol?

nope.

I should have posted this on the philosophy ground, thread like this over there would have KILLED

He's largely right.

No one turns to philosophy for answers anymore, so even if you gain a lot from a philosphy degree, and there is a lot to be gained from one, the profession itself is no longer respected and demanded as it once was. It's becomes a virtually purely academic career stream, and I'd imagine the pay bump you recieve from a philosophy degree is similar to the pay bumps any arts degree would recieve. It would signal to employers that you survived university and it would have trained your writing skills, critical thinking and general thought processes. 

But no philosophy majors are really in demand as far as I know, and I usually just see a lot of survivorship bias when people defend philospohy degrees -- like Bezos claiming it was the reason for his success and his path to becoming a billionaire tycoon. 

MattyECB -

He's largely right.

No one turns to philosophy for answers anymore, so even if you gain a lot from a philosphy degree, and there is a lot to be gained from one, the profession itself is no longer respected and demanded as it once was. It's becomes a virtually purely academic career stream, and I'd imagine the pay bump you recieve from a philosophy degree is similar to the pay bumps any arts degree would recieve. It would signal to employers that you survived university and it would have trained your writing skills, critical thinking and general thought processes. 

But no philosophy majors are really in demand as far as I know, and I usually just see a lot of survivorship bias when people defend philospohy degrees -- like Bezos claiming it was the reason for his success and his path to becoming a billionaire tycoon. 

Lol, so stupid.

Or is it?

MattyECB -

He's largely right.

Wouldn’t you call what Jordan Pederson does Philosophy? He seems popular.

McDojo Master - 
MattyECB -

He's largely right.

He does psychology, totally different. Psychology is everywhere in science.

PS MattyECB is pretty much spot on. I like thunderf00ts quote on this, while its not quite is bad as he makes out, its funny :-)...

"philosophy, the discipline of those who have been thoroughly routed from the academic arena"

The many have always favored natural science over genuine philosophy. No matter, if you pursue philosophy in order to gain money and the respect of the many, you're doing it wrong.

Having said that, the vast majority of what passes for philosophy nowadays is complete horseshit. It's either bad science or bad literature. It's hard to blame people for thinking poorly of it.

MattyECB - 

He's largely right.

I went to school with a guy who was a philosophy major. He said he was going to law school, that many lawyers were philosophy majors in undergrad.

don't know how true that last part it or if did well in law school.

I have a degree in philosophy.

I had planned to work towards a PhD and eventual professorship but life got in the way.

There is a whole branch of Philosophy called the Philosophy of Science

William Lane Craig is a great example of a Philosopher who has done a great job of looking to science a lot, he builds a nice bridge between them in some of his more academic work. He tends to be a bit of a controversial figure, because of his defense of theism and Christianity. But, if you take that away and just examine his work on Philosophy of time, mathematics, and cosmology, you will see he is held in very high regards by most of his academic peers. A great modern day thinker in my opinion. 

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -
McDojo Master - 
MattyECB -

He's largely right.

PS MattyECB is pretty much spot on. I like thunderf00ts quote on this, while its not quite is bad as he makes out, its funny :-)...

"philosophy, the discipline of those who have been thoroughly routed from the academic arena"

He puts on his website that he teaches philosophy. Are you calling the man a liar?

McDojo Master - 
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -
McDojo Master - 
MattyECB -

He's largely right.

He puts on his website that he teaches philosophy. Are you calling the man a liar?

Don't really care what he teaches, he is a psychologist.

After graduating from Fairview High School in 1979, Peterson entered the Grande Prairie Regional College to study political science and English literature.[2] He later transferred to the University of Alberta, where he completed his B.A. in 1982.[14] Afterwards, he took a year off to visit Europe. There he developed an interest in the psychological origins of the Cold War, particularly 20th century European totalitarianism,[2][15] and was plagued by apocalyptic nightmares about the escalation of the nuclear arms race. As a result, he became concerned about mankind's capacity for evil and destruction, and delved into the works of Carl Jung, Friedrich Nietzsche, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn,[10] and Fyodor Dostoyevsky.[15] He then returned to the University of Alberta and received a B.A. in psychology in 1984.[16] In 1985, he moved to Montreal to attend McGill University. He earned his Ph.D. in clinical psychology.

From his website...

Dr Jordan B Peterson, Professor of Psychology & Clinical Psychologist

There seems to be a trend of misspelling his name among the folks who are talking shit or making fun of his death. Ironic. 

StankieEdgar - 

There seems to be a trend of misspelling his name among the folks who are talking shit or making fun of his death. Ironic. 

I'm always up for dark humor but most of the Hawkings jokes don't work.  Too many of them are just making fun of his ALS.  It's like making fun of someone for having cancer after they die from it.