Photographers tell me about prime lenses

For video.

I want to record video with my t1i. I heard primes are great.

Any info, Phone Post 3.0

ttt

Musashi - Great glass is great.

I just dont know what prime lenses are great? Ive had a camera for a long time almost sold it when I was broke but im going to give it a try and for my youtube I hear its great.

I've read that canon 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 are top class for close up portraits and that small an aperture, and they're 150 and 350 bucks respectively. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not a pro it have been shooting with a Canon as well for about 4 years now. I started with a t2i and now have a 5d mark 3... I have several lenses which include a 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 24-70ii, 70-200f4 with is..

Enough about me. Primes are considered better for video because for one you don't have to worry about the f stops changing when you zoom in and out. You want a constant f stop when shooting video. (scene get darker and brighter Sony want the shot consistant)

Also with primes you tend to be able to get a lower f stop than with a zoom. For example my 50 1.4 can shoot constantly in f1.4 Vs my 24-70 can only shoot 2.8 the lowest. (more light with 1.4) Helps with low light shooting although you can just increase the iso. Also can produce a better bokeh (blur) with lower f stops.

If you can get a lense with is (image stabilization) it will greatly help you shoot steady I may likely have confused you more but there are several YouTube videos for you to explore. Good luck! . Phone Post 3.0

MyGodThisMMA - I've read that canon 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 are top class for close up portraits and that small an aperture, and they're 150 and 350 bucks respectively. Phone Post 3.0
I have the 1.4 and I think it's will worth the extra 100 or so if you can afford it over the 1.8.

Build quality much better and the 1.4 is awesome for low light and has a great bokeh Phone Post 3.0

CrAzYiBe -
MyGodThisMMA - I've read that canon 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 are top class for close up portraits and that small an aperture, and they're 150 and 350 bucks respectively. Phone Post 3.0
I have the 1.4 and I think it's will worth the extra 100 or so if you can afford it over the 1.8.

Build quality much better and the 1.4 is awesome for low light and has a great bokeh Phone Post 3.0
Yeah. I just started. That's the lens I want. It's the zone I like to shoot in the most and the results are beautiful....and for 350? Shitttt.... Phone Post 3.0

if Im going to be doing close up videos say 5 feet or less what sort of prime lens would u reccomend? and if Im doing videos from 20 feet away what would u rec?

Both inside for the most part.

caseharts -

if Im going to be doing close up videos say 5 feet or less what sort of prime lens would u reccomend? and if Im doing videos from 20 feet away what would u rec?

Do you have a budget? I would strongly recommend the 50 1.4, it may be a little too one for shlo9tnf 5 feet away though, especially because a t2i is a crop sensor so your really shooting at the lens focal range x 1.7 so the 50 is really like an 85.. Phone Post 3.0

Meant may be too close .. Auto correct Phone Post 3.0

CrAzYiBe - 
caseharts -

Do you have a budget? I would strongly recommend the 50 1.4, it may be a little too one for shlo9tnf 5 feet away though, especially because a t2i is a crop sensor so your really shooting at the lens focal range x 1.7 so the 50 is really like an 85.. Phone Post 3.0

can you tell me dis in engrish?

so many terms im unfamiliar with sorry total noob

The 40 mm 2.8 pancake lense is pretty sweet to especially for the price. Phone Post 3.0

Lol. Sorry.. OK there are 2 types of cameras. Full frame and crop sensor. The t2i is a crop sensor lense. It means that the camera itself regardless of the lense you put on is already zooming in 1.7 times the focal length of your lense.

So on a full frame a 50mm is ture to 50mm, whereas a 50mm on a crop sensor is really like shooting with a 85mm. (more zoomed in)

I think you should start with a 50mm 1.4 I'd you have the $350 to spend on this. I'd check craigslist and even Amazon used maybe for a better deal. The 1.4 really goes a long way. Especially indoor shooting. If you want to fit more in your shot then look for a 35 or 24 mm but the good ones are really $$$. You can also look at aftermarket like tamron and Sigma. Amazon is great site. Search and review my friend. Phone Post 3.0

CrAzYiBe - Lol. Sorry.. OK there are 2 types of cameras. Full frame and crop sensor. The t2i is a crop sensor lense. It means that the camera itself regardless of the lense you put on is already zooming in 1.7 times the focal length of your lense.

So on a full frame a 50mm is ture to 50mm, whereas a 50mm on a crop sensor is really like shooting with a 85mm. (more zoomed in)

I think you should start with a 50mm 1.4 I'd you have the $350 to spend on this. I'd check craigslist and even Amazon used maybe for a better deal. The 1.4 really goes a long way. Especially indoor shooting. If you want to fit more in your shot then look for a 35 or 24 mm but the good ones are really $$$. You can also look at aftermarket like tamron and Sigma. Amazon is great site. Search and review my friend. Phone Post 3.0

okay for indoor sports for photos on a low budget I was told to get the 70-300/4-5.6

but for video where I just need something that clear from 5 feet away with no auto focus just to video me Im a little confused. I understand you mean about the full frame thing now though!

If you are shooting less than 5ft you are going to have to look for a 24mm lens. I have the 50mm prime and I love it but I use it for photography. On a full frame you would be fine but on your camera you will need to go for a 24mm lens or less.

caseharts -
CrAzYiBe - Lol. Sorry.. OK there are 2 types of cameras. Full frame and crop sensor. The t2i is a crop sensor lense. It means that the camera itself regardless of the lense you put on is already zooming in 1.7 times the focal length of your lense.

okay for indoor sports for photos on a low budget I was told to get the 70-300/4-5.6

but for video where I just need something that clear from 5 feet away with no auto focus just to video me Im a little confused. I understand you mean about the full frame thing now though!

70-300/4-5.6 is a solid budget zoom lense. Definately will be able to zoom up close but I don't know how good it will be for indoor use.
Should be alright though.

If you have a camera shop nearby definately give them a visit and they may better help you out. You can also try lenses on to see what length is best for you. Phone Post 3.0

Man vs Net - 
caseharts - 

You'll need to start reading/watching tutorials and get up to speed if you want to use prime lenses. Besides being faster lenses as mentioned earlier they are also much better quality glass and build...The best all around prime lense imo would be the canon 24-70mm f 2.8l ii usm For sports i would recommend at least a 2.8. The 70-300 has good zoom but it's just not fast enough to stop motion in sports unless you're outdoors and it's really bright...

I have been. for sports i dont want to use prime except some video maybe. 

I just want prime mainly for close up videos of people. Like a show. 

Addicting and expensive!! Phone Post 3.0

Man vs Net - 
caseharts - 
Man vs Net - 
caseharts - 

You'll need to start reading/watching tutorials and get up to speed if you want to use prime lenses. Besides being faster lenses as mentioned earlier they are also much better quality glass and build...The best all around prime lense imo would be the canon 24-70mm f 2.8l ii usm For sports i would recommend at least a 2.8. The 70-300 has good zoom but it's just not fast enough to stop motion in sports unless you're outdoors and it's really bright...

I have been. for sports i dont want to use prime except some video maybe. 

I just want prime mainly for close up videos of people. Like a show. 

imo 70-300 is more for sports/distance and something in the 24-40 range is going to work best for close up videos. Might be better to decide which one you are going to do more and go after that first. I have the 17-40 & 70-200l prime lenses. Warning it gets addicting....Also the standard mic on canon's usually sucks might want to look into an external...

I have a wholel studio set up for mics and stuff. I usually use a logitech 920 but im moving to youtube and want to do higher quality stuff. the video will almost strictly be from 5 feet away. is there a cost effect prime lens u can rec for the close up videos?