Piriformis Syndrome and Sciatica

I've been dealing with pretty bad piriformis problems for the last 5 years and have had no success trying to cure it on my own. I've done all the stretches suggested (crippled the next day), hooked up to a TENS machine once a week for 6 months and done the sit on a tennis ball thing.

Looking for suggestions from fellow UG'ers on additional things I should try. I'm interested in deep tissue massage but haven't really heard from anyone how it worked out.

I'm in average shape, work out a few times a week at home and get to roll at a beginners course once a week.

Any help guys?

You sure it's piriformis? The reason I ask is because it can be mis-diagnosed. That's what I've read a lot though.

I went through PT and and the PT said I had it and nothing got better. Went to the Chiropractor and that seemed to help out a lot. It's not quite over but then again, I haven't been back to him in a few months. I might go back again too.

you sir are correct. Oops

FSMA - You sure it's piriformis? The reason I ask is because it can be mis-diagnosed. That's what I've read a lot though.

I went through PT and and the PT said I had it and nothing got better. Went to the Chiropractor and that seemed to help out a lot. It's not quite over but then again, I haven't been back to him in a few months. I might go back again too.

I've read that it's incorrectly diagnosed often but my options are pretty limited where I live. The next hospital is a 16 hour drive away.

ShocknAwe - 
FSMA - You sure it's piriformis? The reason I ask is because it can be mis-diagnosed. That's what I've read a lot though.

I've read that it's incorrectly diagnosed often but my options are pretty limited where I live. The next hospital is a 16 hour drive away.

Good Lord man. See if there's a chiropractor around you and talk to him/her. It might help.

Not sure what Piriformis is, but you may want to read a book by Dr. John Sarno called Healing Back Pain. He believes that sciatica and other forms of neck/back pain are often caused by stress and repressed emotions. It's a cheap book, and a pretty quick and easy read.

inf0 - <p>lol chiros and quackos.. nice advice guys
 </p>

Yeah, I know. It's crazy to actually list what has helped me out with the same problem. I suppose it's all in my head though.

Try a foam roller. I've had success with that in the past.

inf0 - <p>doesn't sound like you had the same problem at all actually... you are just assuming he has the wrong diagnosis... this is the problem with internet advice..
 </p>

You're assuming that his diagnosis is correct. In that case he's done everything he can according to him. I was in the same situation, went to a Chiropractor and it's much better.

I do suppose the advice you're giving is much more beneficial than mine though.

Relax guys, I appreciate anything I can get. I do have the brain capacity to sift through what I think will or won't work.
My options left to me at this point are cortisone injections or surgery. I'd like to stay away from both.

I haven't been to a chiropractor because I've always been skeptical and nervous about them. If my doc suggests it I will probably go, but so far all I've heard is "do your stretches" and "take ibuprofen"

I think that a couple of massage treatments will definatly benefit you. There are a couple of techniques along with deep tissue massage that are benefiicial to treating sciatica and piriformis syndrome (aka pseudo sciatica. deep tissue massage, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, muscle stripping, are all great techniques to combat sciatic / pseudo sciatic issues. also consider getting your low back treated to compliment and assisst in healing. also stretching all your glutes (maximus, minimus, and especially medius). having someone perform stretches on you (passive stretching) is a lot more beneficial because you can incorporate a contract and relax type of stretching treatment that will treat the issue and give you an increase of range of motion. "Facilitated Stretching" by Robert E McAtee is a great resource to have. as well as "Anatomy Trains" by Thomas W Myers. That is all in my opinion. however, being a registered massage therapist my opinion is slightly biased. hope this information helps you on a road to recovery

Massage and Yoga have helped my Sciatica and lower back problems immensely.

I'm so damn happy to hear some actual comments about massage, I was worried that it might aggravate the problem. I'm going to book an appointment for the weekend. Thanks!!