Pistol owners, ammo related

Any of you regularly use steel case ammo at the range? I heard that Wolf brand isn't so bad when compared with Tulammo. I'm feeling the pinch of going through so much ammo to practice (9mm). I don't have the room or time to take up reloading. Mostly I practice with Glocks.

The 7-10 ranges I've been too here around Charlotte will only let you shoot brass. No steel casing. You may want to check and see if any ranges near you will even let you shoot steel casing before you buy ammo.

Go to a gun show and find somebody selling reloads.

QueenCityLurker - 

The 7-10 ranges I've been too here around Charlotte will only let you shoot brass. No steel casing. You may want to check and see if any ranges near you will even let you shoot steel casing before you buy ammo.

This. Most of the ranges by me only allow brass.

Check ammoseek for good deals on reman loads:

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger

Gun shows are a fun place but you never know what you're going to get.

I reload now, so 9mm is about 12 cents a round and 45acp is about 15 cents a round. You'd be surprised how little room you need. I converted an old Black and Decker workmate into my reloading bench and it sits in a corner of my home office.

Check this out

https://youtu.be/HV7diIpgV6s

i haven’t yet tried it but I checked reviews and if you’re practicing a lot it seems like a good way to put rounds down range for much cheaper.

You can find some cheap brass ammo in bulk. What sort of deal are you seeing on the steel stuff? Also remember the bullets are bi-metal on most of that stuff and some have concerns about their barrels over it. 

Cheap and brass. Just an idea

From my knowledge off metals, brass is ideal. The metal is ductile when it comes to the pressure experienced when a round is shot. Brass experiences no hardening effect after being shot, so it is safe to reuse brass.

Steel and aluminum can experience hardening from shooting and become brittle. When bending aluminum it becomes hard and brittle right before it snaps. Steel can become hardened from the rapid heating from firing a round. These factors make aluminum and steel a bad idea to use for reloading. If the aluminum and steel are cast from new metal then they are probably ok, but since these metals are not as ductile I always fear a a dud round which could cause a kaboom.

I defer to altofsky or others with more experience to correct me if I am wrong on this topic.

https://fenixammo.com/collections/training-ammo/products/9mm-115gr-fmj?variant=7521645985822

I use remfg ammo for training. An OG'r works for this Co. Fenix (link above). Haven't used them yet but they will get my next bulk purchase.

I've previously used Freedom Munitions but their QC is less than desirable.

The Federal steel case stuff shoots great for me.  Tulammo has been ok,  but I have only shot a couple hundred rounds of it.  

I might consider giving the polymaxx stuff that someone posted a link to above a try at 18 cents a round for 40cal. I can't find too much about it online though. Anyone try it out?

GaryG - https://fenixammo.com/collections/training-ammo/products/9mm-115gr-fmj?variant=7521645985822

I use remfg ammo for training. An OG'r works for this Co. Fenix (link above). Haven't used them yet but they will get my next bulk purchase.

I've used their stuff without issue. They used to have an additional discount if you use the code "FTHEUG", or something like that.

I get amo pretty cheap at freedommunitions. You should try them; you'll get brass at steel prices.

TFK_Mas Tisu - 
GaryG - https://fenixammo.com/collections/training-ammo/products/9mm-115gr-fmj?variant=7521645985822

I've used their stuff without issue. They used to have an additional discount if you use the code "FTHEUG", or something like that.

They charge factory new prices for reloads. What's the draw?

There is nothing wrong with shooting steel/aluminum case ammo as long as your gun eats it. If you don't care about picking up your spent brass and can get a good deal on it, do it. I used to shoot a lot of matches with blazer aluminum case 9s and it was great.

It's probably not the casings, it's the bullets. Most of the Russian stuff like TulAmmo or Wolf have steel in the bullets and indoor ranges won't allow them because they'll spark downrange. If they've got an issue with the casings, it's probably because they're selling the used brass you leave behind.

Luckily my range does allow steel cased ammo as well as bimetal bullets. It's just the steel core bullets that they don't allow. Currently I'm buying bulk ammo from SGAmmo, new brass 124 gr Speer Lawman for about $185 per 1000 rounds. Add shipping and it comes to $204. There are factory reloads that are cheaper, but only by about $20 less per 1000 rounds, and usually those places have higher shipping than SGAmmo so I would only save about $10-15 per round going with 115 grain reloads that are also weaker loaded with powder. That isn't as much of a worthwhile saving when I consider that the 124gr Speer Lawman approximates my actual defense ammo that I carry with daily. I prefer to do my defense drills with ammo that comes close to the defense load in order to be more familiar with it. I hear what you guys are saying about getting brass reloads, but I don't think they're as much of a savings when all things are considered.

With the Russian steel cased ammo, the savings is nearly $50 per 1000 rounds from the same seller. That's a lot. I could get 4000 rounds for the price of 3000 rounds of new brass ammo. So I'm wondering if anyone's shot steel cased ammo in significant amounts and whether it has any negative effects on the gun. I can guess that it would wear out the extractor more quickly, but for Glocks I'd easily be able to buy a new extractor for cheap compared to the amount of ammo savings that would have accumulated when the extractor does wear out. Same with a barrel. The thing that would annoy me is if the steel case ammo causes constant malfunctions where it interferes with the training sessions.

Pencil Neck -

Luckily my range does allow steel cased ammo as well as bimetal bullets. It's just the steel core bullets that they don't allow. Currently I'm buying bulk ammo from SGAmmo, new brass 124 gr Speer Lawman for about $185 per 1000 rounds. Add shipping and it comes to $204. There are factory reloads that are cheaper, but only by about $20 less per 1000 rounds, and usually those places have higher shipping than SGAmmo so I would only save about $10-15 per round going with 115 grain reloads that are also weaker loaded with powder. That isn't as much of a worthwhile saving when I consider that the 124gr Speer Lawman approximates my actual defense ammo that I carry with daily. I prefer to do my defense drills with ammo that comes close to the defense load in order to be more familiar with it. I hear what you guys are saying about getting brass reloads, but I don't think they're as much of a savings when all things are considered.

With the Russian steel cased ammo, the savings is nearly $50 per 1000 rounds from the same seller. That's a lot. I could get 4000 rounds for the price of 3000 rounds of new brass ammo. So I'm wondering if anyone's shot steel cased ammo in significant amounts and whether it has any negative effects on the gun. I can guess that it would wear out the extractor more quickly, but for Glocks I'd easily be able to buy a new extractor for cheap compared to the amount of ammo savings that would have accumulated when the extractor does wear out. Same with a barrel. The thing that would annoy me is if the steel case ammo causes constant malfunctions where it interferes with the training sessions.

That SGammo deal sounds amazing.  Alas,  ol shansky is in california so I can no longer order my ammo online. 

I've got ~20 rounds of steel case 5.56 that I can't shoot at my local indoor range. Short of a zombie apocalypse or the space aliens landing I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it.

GaryG - https://fenixammo.com/collections/training-ammo/products/9mm-115gr-fmj?variant=7521645985822

I have used Fenix ammo and the stuff is pretty high quality.  An OGer is co-owner so support the guy.