PKA Kickboxing Champ. Bouts '76-81

Carter-Era Kickboxing!

ok so a coupla' dudes were talking about this on another thread and waxing nostalgic so i thought i'd check it out; pretty sweet stuff!

ttt

Awe... The memories

Thanks for posting these unfilter

i think "oak-tree" is one of my favorite fighter nicknames of all time...

ttt

Did these guys make decent money? Seems like they had really good sized crowds. Phone Post

Brigham -  Did these guys make decent money? Seems like they had really good sized crowds. Phone Post

better attendance than the last strikeforce card anyway.

Brigham -  Did these guys make decent money? Seems like they had really good sized crowds. Phone Post

Not compared to todays payouts... The PKA had guys like Bill Wallace and Joe Lewis who I'm sure made good money for title fights, but not like today. The WKA acually paid more but they were more international bringing in guys from Asia and all over the world.

My third and final fight was for the PKA in 1981 and both me and the guy I fought, Albert Lynn got $40.00. I acually got paid 50 bucks cause I was one of the kick counters for the other fights and got an extra 10 bucks.. lol

kick counter...wasnt there like a seven kick minimum?

id love to hear any other PKA stories-

I think originally the PKA required 6 then they raised it to 8 when the WKA started allowing leg kicks

Ross Scott is from my hometown of Anderson, IN. I saw him fight here in town on the same card as Bill Wallace. It was being shown live on Wide World of Sports. I think that would have been about 1980 or so.

damn- ross must punch like a hippo

Wow! Rick Storm, thanks for posting that. I was right there watching that.

I love these old PKA fights. This stuff was badass back in the day. Sadly today it gets ridiculed and degraded most of the time on fight forums by idiots.

ttt

bump for another PKA story from Rick-