Places to train in Honolulu, HI?

tjmitch - Make sure that when in HI, you make and maintain eye contact with all the locals. They see it as a sign of respect.

They also shorten things with the heavy usage of pidgin English, instead of "what's up?" They prefer if you just say "what"

^^^ trust me it'll help you gain respect and not be seen as an outsider

falsecrack - ^^^ trust me it'll help you gain respect and not be seen as an outsider

Solid advice right there.

Also, the local word for 'buddy' or 'bro' is 'MA-Who' so call guys this so they know you are down.

mideastgrappler - 
The Professional - 
JohnnyBrabo - Oh wow I'll have to check out Ronn on friday night!

We always rent a car but it's my wife, our 2yr old son and I so I don't wanna have to travel too far. She is Maid of Honor so I can't really stick her with the baby to travel and train all day.

Thank you all very much for your input, I really appreciate it. You guys helped out a lot when I went to Maui last year, too.

Go to Shiraki's 100%. Jason... Well... No comment. Put it this way, he opened up a school literally 200 feet from another well established school... That's not cool in my book. But to each his own. Phone Post 3.0

Is that the gym on the second floor near the college? The one with a RVCA banner? I mean the guy Jason's place. Are Ronn and Jason across the street from each other? Seems like there is another school across the street from the RVCA gym. Couldnt really tell though as I didnt go upstairs to look

Nah, that's Todd Tanakas place, another Relson affiliate, Ronns is about a mile away from there on Kapahulu Ave.

Mahalo tjmitch and falsecrack!

I'll try it out and post results!

JohnnyBrabo - Mahalo tjmitch and falsecrack!

I'll try it out and post results!
Some great advice there from real locals. Trust their opinion, as it will save you from a potential nightmare. Also, when you train.. We don't do the fist bump thing here. Instead, you should say "hi I'm Rick... I'm from Arizona and just want to get respect from da hui." That's a major "in" right there with the local people.

Also, after training... Go to Zippy's and ask for "spaghetti salad, because you don't like macaroni." Truth. Respect. Porra. Phone Post 3.0

Well, just reporting back. Maybe I pronounced it wrong, but the first guy I maintained eye contact with and called "MA-who" punched me square in the mouth. I tried to pull guard but instead of engaging he just pulled off both my shoes and threw them across the street.

Also my rental car got towed from outside of Island JJ.

Other than those little hiccups it's been pretty chill and training has been fun. Will def be using some of the drills we did here back at home.