Planning 3 week tour in Ecuador, TME

Yes, best hospitals in Quito and Guayaquil. Anywhere else is highly suspect. Armed extraction is overkill. However, medical flight in worst case scenario is expensive. All other medical expenses are pretty cheap in Ecuador, especially by US standards. Having the insurance is the wise choice.

To bring the thread back into focus, I would say the same thing about Montanitas, Ecuador. People posting it on here like it is the end all. Beach is decent, but the place is crawling with gringos. It is a neo-hippie enclave. Very little about it is authentic Ecuadorian. Cafes with lattes, American bistro style sandwiches and pizzas, tourist trap clothing and jewelry, etc. Why go to Ecuador to hang out with a bunch of dread headed stoners from the states? Never made any sense to me. The majority of the people there are European or American and most are the type of trust fund hippie liberals that people on here despise.

2 Likes

3 weeks in Equador = high chances of ending up Equadead

1 Like

Carlos Ledher was a very interesting person. Much more so than Pablo but I’m not into the Narco soap opera scene. Carlos was a self proclaimed Nazi also. Erected a nude John Lennon statue also. He pissed everyone off in the end. He’s a free man right now actually. Just got released from witness protection last year or so. He’s living in Germany now. His father was a German national. And no way he could ever step foot in Colombia again.

1 Like

I’m American. I don’t work in Colombia. I come back for work about 4-5 months out of the year. Been down here a few years now. I love it. Absolutely heaven for me. But it’s not for everyone.

1 Like

Salinas looks amazing. I’d like to visit there someday.

2 Likes

I agree but it has its purpose. Not everyone travels to have an authentic cultural experience. Some people just want to meet new people and have degenerate coke fueled orgies. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

When I went there were travellers from all over Latin America, I don’t remember there being a lot of gringos. More Argentines, Chileans, Brazilians. But I was there about 15 years ago. Perhaps things changed or it was the season.

Definitely not a place to live long term, but if you like partying it’s worth a visit.

1 Like

Yeah there are plenty of Chilean and Argentinian trust find kids partying all over central and South America

2 Likes

Cuy is fucking legit lol.

1 Like

Plenty of everything… plenty of Argentinian kids juggling on street corners for change too all over South America.

We had thier flag in our hangar. Complete with bullet holes. Fuck the argies.

In omnibus princeps!

Yes, lots of Argentinians, Chileans, Israelis, Euros, you name it. A true mixed bag of neo-hippie types.

1 Like

Salinas is cool. Not a party town, but a nice small city vibe with enough to keep you busy. The best comparison I can make is to a Fort Lauderdale of the late 90 to early 2000s. It doesn’t rage, but the beaches are nice and during high season the boardwalk (malecon) is full people with a fun atmosphere that isn’t over the top. Fishing charters out of Salinas are cheap and make for a good time. Lots of small bars, restaurants, and shops of all variety. Anywhere from a $3.00 shawarma to higher end restaurants with great seafood and steaks. There are some discos off the main drag. Perhaps on the main drag as well (I forget) and things change). Lots of local seafood restaurants a couple blocks from the ocean. Crime is always higher during feriado (holidays) when Salinas fills up with beachgoers from Guayaquil. Even so, it is fairly low key and without too many incidents.

3 Likes

Thats where my inlaws live. Pretty cool city… On that note… heres a pic of the Cuy I ate when I was down there lol

2 Likes

Suggestions on gaining access to and carrying money?Will plastic be accepted most places or cash only?I read a man with a $100 bill is a man with no money there.

ATMs are common in urban areas and small cities. Head on a swivel though. As far as cash, that is what you need. Cards are accepted at hotels, restaurants, etc. but often the systems are down (or so people say as they would rather get paid in cash). You want small bills. I have been in plenty of situations where I have tried to pay with a $20 and I was told they couldn’t break it. Usually this would mean they would go to the store next door, or down the street and come back with change in $1 bills and coins. The $1 coins are big there. You will find yourself with pockets full of those things. Almost more common than $1 bills. My recommendation is plan on lots of $1s, $5s, and $10s. The remainder $20s. (For $500 I would do $200 in $20s, $200 in $10s, and $100 in $5s, and $1s.) You will have a hard time with bigger bills, unless you are paying cash for a hotel or a big restaurant bill. In most cases, I suspect you will be paying for things that are less than $20 as you will be on the road and in rural areas. Meals at local places might be $6 to $10. A bit more with drinks. Always have at $100 in smaller bills tucked away in case ATMs are down, or there is no ability to pay with cards.

2 Likes

And Brazilian too. I spent a couple of summers in South American skiing in the late 80’s…it was an international scene for sure.

Appreciated brother.Contemplating bringing a gi and dropping in somewhere.Going to be in Quito for an extra day prior to departure on the bikes.

1 Like

It sounds really cool! I think it’ll be an amazing trip. I have only one piece of advice for you. Think about health insurance, because this country can be dangerous. I can recommend you contact asurion customer service. They always help me with insurance when I go on a vacation.

The news out of Quito and Ecuador in general is not good right now to the point I would tell you not to go there in the next 2-3 weeks.

1 Like