Please recommend a good book

I've read many if the classics, but Id still like something that is either a classic or may become one. I'm not into Tom Clancy type stuff, so please nothing in the spy or military genres.

Thanks! Phone Post 3.0

Game of Thrones! Phone Post

There was a recommendation in another thread of a book called Holy Blood Holy Grail. Sounds pretty interesting I might read it myself. Phone Post

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

A Rebours by JK Huysmans

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart

The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley

Dune by Frank Herbert

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson

"Beat the Reaper" by Josh Bazell

Awesome! Thank you guys! Phone Post 3.0

12SixElbow -

A Rebours by JK Huysmans

Dune by Frank Herbert

Thanks! I've read a few of those (Huxley, Herbert and Thompson), but ill check out the rest. I'm not sure if I will read The Fountainhead, though. I've heard such mixed reviews of it and I'm not sure if I agree enough with Rand's objectivism to get into it, but Ill add it to the list! Thanks again! Phone Post 3.0

andre - I've read many if the classics, but Id still like something that is either a classic or may become one. I'm not into Tom Clancy type stuff, so please nothing in the spy or military genres.

Thanks! Phone Post 3.0

Confederacy of Dunces, perfect for any man-child OG goer still living with his parents with an over inflated sense of self. One of my favourites.

Child of God, the protagonist is gradually alienated from society becomes more primitive and eventually descends into necrophilia and serial murder. But he is a crack shot with a rifle. Another OGer novel!

If you tell us what you've enjoyed recently we can probably come up with more OGer appropriate recommendations.

Here's one that should be way more popular than it is - Kings of Infinite Space by James Hynes. Its a dark comedy and if you've ever worked in a cubicle its for sure a must read! I guarantee any current or former office workers will love it. Phone Post

I enjoyed "The Power of Negative Thinking" By Bobby Knight. Not fiction but it was a fun read, and made me realize how mighty my pissy brain is. :D

Wow 12SixElbow, never met anyone else who read Beat the Reaper. Awesome suggestion. Phone Post

A Fan's Notes- by Frederick Exley may be my favourite book of all time

Short stories by George Saunders

Anything by Denis Johnson

Anything by Paul Auster

London Fields- Martin Amis

The Housekeeper and the Professor- Yoko Ogawa

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Fortress of Solitude - Jonathan Lethem
Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
Peace Like a River - Leif Enger

Not necessarily a classic, but I just finished "Joyland", the new Stephen King book.

Good and pretty short, less than 300 pages

jefft73 - 

Wow 12SixElbow, never met anyone else who read Beat the Reaper. Awesome suggestion. Phone Post

VTFU

RAGTIME - EL Doctorow. If it isn't already a classic it will be. Second only to Gatsby in terms of novels that get at what "murica" is all about

andre - 
12SixElbow -

A Rebours by JK Huysmans

Dune by Frank Herbert

Thanks! I've read a few of those (Huxley, Herbert and Thompson), but ill check out the rest. I'm not sure if I will read The Fountainhead, though. I've heard such mixed reviews of it and I'm not sure if I agree enough with Rand's objectivism to get into it, but Ill add it to the list! Thanks again! Phone Post 3.0

Anthem by Ayn Rand is a great 128 page novella to kind of wet your beak.

I have many...some I got from the OG, so kudos to you bastards.

I'm sure sown have read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey but the sequel My Friend Leonard I loved (yes that means you must read the first lol) Phone Post 3.0

^sown?
some... Phone Post 3.0

Catch-22

The Brothers Karamazov

The Stranger

VALIS

The Illuminatus Trilogy Phone Post 3.0

JasonGV - 
andre - I've read many if the classics, but Id still like something that is either a classic or may become one. I'm not into Tom Clancy type stuff, so please nothing in the spy or military genres.

Thanks! Phone Post 3.0

Confederacy of Dunces, perfect for any man-child OG goer still living with his parents with an over inflated sense of self. One of my favourites.

Child of God, the protagonist is gradually alienated from society becomes more primitive and eventually descends into necrophilia and serial murder. But he is a crack shot with a rifle. Another OGer novel!

If you tell us what you've enjoyed recently we can probably come up with more OGer appropriate recommendations.

Thanks! I've read Confederacy of Dunces. Someone here recommended it after comparing my Starbucks character to the character from Confederacy. Loved it!!

I've recently read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man for the second time. I'm a big fan of Joyce. Before that, I read Crime and Punishment for the third time. And before that I read Blood Meridian for the second time. Before that was Dracula, for the first time.

I'm in need of some new books...I've been rereading too many.