Podcasters, a question please

Some specific questions if you guys can help that would be great thanks:

- What site/service do you use to host? Im willing to pay but dont want to pay more than I have to (Ive heard that Podmatic and Rmedia.org are free, anyone use them?).   Our sessions are about an hour long FYI.  

- How do I upload each session into iTunes?  Do I do it manually or do some of these hosting services do it for you?

- I have a WordPress page so want to publish these links on it in case that matters for which sites integrate better with WP

- Sizing of a podcast:   Like I said we run about an hour a session.  We use blue yeti microphones.  In the interest of saving time and money, should I be sizing the audio files down?   I dont know anything about this part at all. If the answer is yes, can you provide details as if I was a 5 year old?  I use garageband as my editor.  Not sure how or what to use to size these files, and to what size they should be.  

Thanks! 

ttt

ttt

I used talkshoe, it is free and will do up to about an hour and a half. 

cool thx

Most of my friends that do it & aren't on a network use Libsyn. Seems the easiest.

iTunes doesn't host podcasts; you'll just be linking to wherever you're serving from (Libsyn, home server on your ISP, etc.)

I don't know wordpress but don't see how it's especially relevant to anything.

Standard resolution for spoken word podcasts is 64Kbps mono 44.1Khz 16 bit MP3. Most networks & many services are going to automatically convert your files to those specs regardless. If you are doing a show specifically about music, you might consider bumping the resolution up.

BarkLikeADog - Most of my friends that do it & aren't on a network use Libsyn. Seems the easiest.

iTunes doesn't host podcasts; you'll just be linking to wherever you're serving from (Libsyn, home server on your ISP, etc.)

I don't know wordpress but don't see how it's especially relevant to anything.

Standard resolution for spoken word podcasts is 64Kbps mono 44.1Khz 16 bit MP3. Most networks & many services are going to automatically convert your files to those specs regardless. If you are doing a show specifically about music, you might consider bumping the resolution up.

this is great info, especially that they might size the files themselves thats great to hear thanks again 

my RSS feed?  Im not familiar.  Can you splain?  I mean Ive seen RSS but never had to use before.  I just go to podcast addict and DL the same podcasts every month...thx 

I would recommend upgrading to a Shure SM7B or Audio Technica AT4047/SV.

Those are great sounding Podcast mics IMO.

Oh, Brian.

I don't recommend upgrading mics or spending a single dime on anything for that matter until you find out whether you're capable of creating enough content for a viable product.

Record on whatever you already have until you generate enough interest to justify further investment. The whole point of podcasts as a medium is that they're cheap & easy & anyone can make them.

If you imagine the internet as a radio, you can think of an RSS feed as the frequency your station is on - where people tune the dial, & your server as the station itself. You load your content to your server, which broadcasts it over the RSS feed to anyone listening. When you set up your account with iTunes, they're going to ask you for your RSS feed & then you'll be done doing anything technical with iTunes forever.

RSS feeds are similar to URLs (web links) - in fact, both are forms of URIs - but they're a little different in how they function.

not putting any more money into mikes - we have 2 and they are great so no worries there.  

ok so cool, when I select where I will host my podcasts, they will assign me an RSS?  Thanks for the info thats great 

Maybe. If you decide to host on your own, which is certainly reasonable in some situations, you'll need to learn how to setup an RSS. Most if not all podcast services will set it up & give you the info.

sweet thanks

we dont know if this will catch or not so I think the right move from the onset is to pay for a hosting service at first to simplify the process and get some content out...