Poirier Reveals He Was Offered CC

“Look, I don’t hate anyone, but if there was a line right before hate, Colby’s standing there. I really dislike the guy and I’ve been saying, and I don’t want him to make a dollar off fighting me,” Poirier said on The MMA Hour. “They offered me him last week, that’s why. I tweeted that out Saturday, or Friday, they offered me him Tuesday or Wednesday that week. It was either wait until the end of the year and fight in a number one contender at lightweight, or fight July against him and that was the name gave me.

“I was like f**k it. That’s not a callout of him, I’m not going out of my way (to fight him),” Poirier continued. “I don’t want to fight the guy, I don’t want him to profit anything off me but if they aren’t going to give me a fight until the end of the year and this is what you are giving me, I have to do what I have to do. I don’t want to sit in a holding pattern, I fought in December, I don’t want to sit in a holding pattern for 10 or 11 months. I’m healthy and I want to fight.”
Dustin Poirier admittedly hopes the fight doesn’t happen as he still doesn’t want to allow Colby Covington to make money off him. However, if no other fights come up, ‘The Diamond’ believes it is one that makes sense and is a fight he isn’t too worried about.

“I’m kind of pissed off at myself for kind of saying I’d do it. Not that I’m worried about the guy or his skillset or anything like that, it’s just that I don’t want the fg guy to prosper because I said yes to a fight with him,” Poirier said. “I don’t want that, I don’t want the guy to make a dollar off of anything I’ve done or fighting me period. But, you get a glass of whiskey in you, they call you a couple of days before, shit happens and then you fight. So fk it. At least it ain’t a fight if it does happen, it’s not a fight I’m going to take any damage in, (with) this f**g guy.”

As of right now, the plan for Dustin Poirier is to fight on July 30, and perhaps it will be against Colby Covington.

1 Like

But

It’s gonna be interesting to see how Colby can handle Dustin’s punching power. I still think it’s a fight Colby wins comfortably though.

8 Likes

When it came to the questioning of Poirier’s drawing ability, “The Diamond” was amused by that as well.

“You think the guy forgot about me? The route to the title shot?” Poirier said. “Charles is still No. 1, the champion. I’m No. 1 [contender in the rankings], you know? And who’s a draw? Bro, I’m not that guy to point out and pick on people and do this and stuff like that, but if we go to the numbers which don’t lie, you were supporting cast in the last pay-per-view you fought on with two title fights. Look at the numbers. What did we (Oliveira and Poirier at UFC 269) sell? Six-something? What did they sell? Over 400 [thousand]? Who’s a draw? I don’t know, I don’t play that because I don’t really care but don’t say stuff that you can find out the numbers and see whose watching more.”

Open to fighting anyone at this point, Poirier revealed that UFC did offer him a July 30 Welterweight bout against Colby Covington or the option to wait for a top contender bout at Lightweight later in the year.

Comfortably Numb

2 Likes

It won’t be interesting at all. Poirer will get dry fucked and he knows it. Porier has feet that are stuck in the mud and Covington smothered Robbie Lawler who is much more powerful than Porier no matter what drugs the doctors at ATT put porier on. For a guy who said “it’s on, on sight” he didn’t do shit. Masvidal who lost badly still backed up what he said even if it costs him big.

Honestly Covington pressing charges after what went down is a complete faggot move after how far he pushed the shit talking. Covington has no “street” in him but there is only one guy in the entire world at 170 or below who can beat Colby and it’s not porier.

The reason porier hasn’t signed on the dotted line already is because they have at least grappled each other in practice and Colby raped him without penetrating him. They both know that once they lock the cage door behind them, Colby wins by 50-43 or something like that.

3 Likes

Funny to see Dustin piping up now that Colby’s probably shelved for a bit. When Colby’s back now it’ll be “we tried getting that one done but I just felt it was time to retire.”

7 Likes

Colby will smother and pressure Dustin, same way he did against Masvidal. Dustin’s got power but idk if he’ll have real chance to utilize it.

1 Like

Poirier folds under Colby’s pressure but he knows considering Colby’s circumstances he ain’t fighting him right now. Was a strategic call out

6 Likes

Dustin Poirier still doesn’t want to fight Colby Covington, but he’s willing to do so if that’s what it takes.

In March, Colby Covington defeated his bitter rival and former teammate Jorge Masvidal, winning a dominant decision at UFC 272. Following the win, Covington called for a fight with Poirier, another former teammate with whom he’s had friction, even including Poirier’s family in the callout. Poirier, a lightweight who previously competed at featherweight, shot down Covington’s call out, but things have apparently taken a turn over the past week.

On Friday, Poirier got on social media and said he wanted to fight on July 30. He then tweeted at Covington, saying he’d fight him on that date. It was a stark turnaround for Poirier, who, speaking with Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour , explained why he changed his tune.

“I don’t hate anyone, but if there was a line right before hate, Colby’s standing right there,” Poirier said. “I really dislike the guy, and I’ve been saying I don’t want him to make a dollar off of fighting me, but they offered me him last week… It was either wait to the end of the year and fight for a No. 1 contender at lightweight, or fight in July, and that was the name that they gave me. So I was like, ‘F*** it.’

While Poirier most certainly admits to wanting to get his hands on “Chaos,” he simply doesn’t want the outspoken former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) interim Welterweight champion to benefit from a meeting between the two.

“I don’t hate anyone,” Poirier said. “But, if there was a line before hate, Colby’s standing there. I really dislike the guy and I’ve been saying I don’t want him to make a dollar off of fighting me. They offered me him last week.… It was either way until the end of the year and fight for a No. 1 contender at Lightweight, or it’s the end of July and that’s the name that they gave me. It’s not a callout of him. I’m not going out of my way. I don’t want to fight the guy. I don’t want him profiting anything off of me. But if they’re not going to give me a fight until the end of the year and this is what you’re giving me, I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do. I don’t want to sit in a holding pattern. I fought in December, I don’t want to sit in a holding pattern for 10, 11 months.

“I’m kind of pissed off at myself for saying I would do it,” he continued. “Not that I’m worried about the guy or his skillset or anything like that. I just don’t want the f—king guy to prosper because I said yes to a fight with him. I don’t want that. I don’t want him to make a dollar off of anything I’ve done, or fighting me, period. But, you get a glass of whiskey in you. They call you a couple days before. S—t happens, and then you fight. So f—k it. At least if it’s a fight that happens, it’s not a fight I’m going to take any damage in with this f—king guy.”

Kudos to Dustin if the fight does happen, because Colby has talked an awful lot of shit about him and his family, and Dustin has almost no way to beat him

1 Like

Dustin picking on a smaller fighter…

white teeth troll GIF

5 Likes