Poirier to appeal no contest against Eddie

The UFC lightweight plans to file an appeal over the result of his UFC 211 bout with Eddie Alvarez with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TLDR), Poirier’s manager Robert Roveta told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani on Sunday.

I doubt it gets overturned. We will probably see a rematch a by the end of the summer.

I don't blame him but either way they have to fight again. Eddie was putting it on him.

StankieEdgar - I don"t blame him but either way they have to fight again. Eddie was putting it on him.

Yeah, it was a crazy 30 seconds  where it looked like Eddie was done and then Eddie came back and Poirier looked to be almost finished. They need to throw that rematch on a live Fox card.

cyberc92 -
StankieEdgar - I don"t blame him but either way they have to fight again. Eddie was putting it on him.

Yeah, it was a crazy 30 seconds  where it looked like Eddie was done and then Eddie came back and Poirier looked to be almost finished. They need to throw that rematch on a live Fox card.

I'd like it as the opening fight on a stacked card.

Eddie did not look good in that fight. He appeared to learned nothing from Conor's fluidity in the cage. Alvarez has power, but his movement in the cage is stiff. 

Anyway, don't blame Poirier for trying, but these appeals usually fail. Either way, the damn rules need to be clarified. 

JoannaMunchedMyTaco -

Eddie did not look good in that fight. He appeared to learned nothing from Conor's fluidity in the cage. Alvarez has power, but his movement in the cage is stiff. 

Anyway, don't blame Poirier for trying, but these appeals usually fail. Either way, the damn rules need to be clarified. 

They should just allow knees to the ground. It would open up mma more and give strikers a chance to punish wrestlers for failed shots. The sidemount and north/south positions would become more important outside of trying to go for low probability chokes/armlocks.

cyberc92 -
JoannaMunchedMyTaco -

They should just allow knees to the ground. It would open up mma more and give strikers a chance to punish wrestlers for failed shots. The sidemount and north/south positions would become more important outside of trying to go for low probability chokes/armlocks.

Would make guys want to pass guard for sure. Right now wrestlers are too happy to just stay in guard, land some light GNP and win rounds.

May as well. He would get his win bonus then, I imagine.

Man, that was starting to be a great fight.

It would be funny if the NC was overturned to a loss for Poirier.

I'd like to see it overturned to a win. But still have a rematch 

I understand why he's doing it, would get his win bonus.

Nothing will happen tho, it never does.

I agree about knees to the head just fucking allow them, would make things way more dynamic, much less stalling. North south and side control become legit fight ending positions instead of stalling positions.

stevekt - It would be funny if the NC was overturned to a loss for Poirier.
You're a monster

LOL Poirier looked for a way out in that fight and he knows it.

Eddie was in in a fist fight and Dusty was playing a game.

Dusty is responsible for the illegal knees. He knew that he was placing his hands on the mat in an attempt to get Eddie to stop killing him.

Eddie was fighting not checking out the scenery.

The rules are the rules. I don't like the rules, but it is what it is. Three fouls in a row is a DQ. How can anybody argue with that?  And I wanted Eddie to win. 

Im not an Alvarez fan but I dont like seeing fighters get losses on their record by DQ unless it's super intentional, to me it's just another way for the UFC to low ball you on your next contract or the fans to talk shit about your win/loss record. The issue is now Dustin loses out on a potential win bonus as he was doing great up until that point, and potential fight of the night bonus. 

Too bad this wasn't an MMA match. It had the potential of being a great fight. 

Won't get overturned, but it definitly should.

I love Eddie. But it should be a loss for him.

I wanted Eddie to win as much as any UGer.  But  I don't think Porier was "playing the game". They were both in a fight and the rules are unclear, even if they were aware what they were doing (either throwing the knees or putting fingers on the mat).  My understanding is that even states that passed the "new" rules haven't necessarily implemented them yet. How can you expect a referee, let alone a fighter in the middle of a war like that to be able to differentiate?  Now Herb is saying there was no intent to break the rules, which is why it wasn't a DQ.... I mean I agree with him, but since when is intent a part of judging or reffing a fight? Or a criteria for making a decision? Again, I think Herb was right, I just had no idea that was part of the process or within his purview.