Police Brutality Motiongraphic

Timbo Slice - 

The number of contacts and what they used for that seems odd.  They counted witness interviews and requests for service?  Does that include over the phone?  I'd like to see the complaint list with just arrests and citations.

And if they're using contacts at the end and comparing it to murders and rapes, then they should compare it to the millions and millions of contacts people have every day and don't get murdered or raped.  I think those numbers are infated too.

This. They are bending the statistics to suit their agenda and even then they don't come out looking all that great.

If we are going to compare apples to apples you need to compare all you need to compare the number of incidents/police contacts to the incidents/general public contacts. Using this metric I would be willing to bet that you are many times more likely to be murdered/assaulted by a police officer than by anyone else.

Blue name please. This is why there's few police complaints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8v7lF5ttlQ

They did one here in my town and they guy was run off over 80% of the time.

Marge Gunderson = LakerUp

I am not kidding.

Ignore everything this fucking asshole says.

STUDY SHOWS THAT COPS ARE NOT AS MURDEROUS AND RAPEY AS YOU THINK. IN FACT, COPS ARE TOTALLY AWESOME.

source of data: cops Phone Post 3.0

Marge Gunderson - 
angryinch -
Marge Gunderson - 
WidespreadPanic -

Seen it. Utter BS and spin doctoring. A professional should have no incidents of brutality, under color of authority, knowing their 'target' can't fight back, is handcuffed or they dog pile them.

It's similar to violence of males on females who can't fight back.

Heck a lot of cops think nothing of kicking handcuffed females in the head. They go in the locker room and high five each other.

It's worse than thug behavior because, in principle the victims of thuggery can fight back.

Of course a professional should have no incidents of brutality. What does that have to do with the fact that far less than 1/2 of 1% of police officers are involved in such incidents. The statistics are real and there for you to reference yourself. It is certainly not spin doctoring. Phone Post 3.0

lol @ the "statistics"

Those same statistics that show Seattle cops dismissed over 99% of police brutality and misconduct claims?

Fuck your statistics.  They are fucking worthless.  You can't go by how many incidents are dismissed by bogus internal affairs investigations.  

When someone creates a completely external organization whose only responsibility is to investigate, charge, and arrest cops accused of misconduct, and that external organization dismisses 99% of claims against cops, then maybe you can talk.  

Until then it's a fucking dog and pony show. 

The CATO Institute compiles their own research from other sources (which I've shown you many times before). Without taking into account spurious complaints, the results were the same. CATO is not a police-friendly organization.

You can all hoot and holler that it doesn't "seem" right because it's just not, but that is a ridiculous position to take. Not that being ass-backwards is ever going to slow you down AI. Phone Post 3.0

I think the rest of the replies on this thread show that once again, you have your head firmly up your ass.  

http://www.policemisconduct.net/2010-npmsrp-police-misconduct-statistical-report/#_Police_Misconduct_Trending

This is the CATO Institute's 2010 police misconduct report I referenced, for anyone interested. The fractional percentages of officers involved in police brutality and other forms of misconduct are reflected in CATO's reporting, just as they are in the OP. CATO compiles their own research and data and do not use the same statistical sources as the OP either. Phone Post 3.0

Ridgeback - 

What I take from this video is that most cop rapes are actually consensual sex by female motorists who just met the cop a few seconds after being pulled over and threatened.  Did I get that right?  

According to Cato, yes.

My statistics show that IP is the most handsome retired cop eva!!!

I think it's similar to that excellent monologue by Brigitte Gabriel, a panelist of ACT for America on why it doesn't matter that there are 'good Muslims', the bad ones are so pervasive and harmful that there's really no way to compensate or make up for it.

Good cops, if there are any, should be so shocked and driven to action at the trend toward evil by LE that they should dissolve the blue line and stop standing up for, or standing silent on abuses, crimes and bribes being taken by their fellows.

Departments like Palm Beach PD should have been dissolved years ago, and we need an NTSB style investigation body to take up these abuse and other cases and stop with the internal review boards which are corrupt by their very nature.

They need to stop making it politically correct for LEOs to abuse suspects - they are not the judge, jury and executioner. But it won't happen because the power elite are exempt and they want us to fear the cops and hope things get worse so they can enact martial law or the like.

What lakerup doesn't understand is that until the internal review bullshit is eliminated, all of these so called "stats" are a crock of shit.

WidespreadPanic - 

I think it's similar to that excellent monologue by Brigitte Gabriel, a panelist of ACT for America on why it doesn't matter that there are 'good Muslims', the bad ones are so pervasive and harmful that there's really no way to compensate or make up for it.

Good cops, if there are any, should be so shocked and driven to action at the trend toward evil by LE that they should dissolve the blue line and stop standing up for, or standing silent on abuses, crimes and bribes being taken by their fellows.

Departments like Palm Beach PD should have been dissolved years ago, and we need an NTSB style investigation body to take up these abuse and other cases and stop with the internal review boards which are corrupt by their very nature.

They need to stop making it politically correct for LEOs to abuse suspects - they are not the judge, jury and executioner. But it won't happen because the power elite are exempt and they want us to fear the cops and hope things get worse so they can enact martial law or the like.

Haha, none of this is accurate - but I'm sure it sounds good to a receptive ear.

IP - 
WidespreadPanic - 

Haha, none of this is accurate - but I'm sure it sounds good to a receptive ear.

Sorry man but he's right.  If the so called "good cops" really were good cops, you'd see cops arresting other cops on a daily basis.  You'd see entire departments threatening to walk out unless the bad cops are fired and arrested.  That never happens.  The percentage of genuinely good cops is very very low.  

What you don't understand, AI, is even if every single one of those complaints were sustained, the percentage of officers committing misconduct remains less than 1/2 of 1%. Multiply that number exponentially if you'd like to claim complaints are under-reported and it's still a fractional percentage. Phone Post 3.0

Marge Gunderson - What you don't understand, AI, is even if every single one of those complaints were sustained, the percentage of officers committing misconduct remains less than 1/2 of 1%. Multiply that number exponentially if you'd like to claim complaints are under-reported and it's still a fractional percentage. Phone Post 3.0
The amount of incidents is too high, I'm not interested in the % Phone Post 3.0

Marge Gunderson - What you don't understand, AI, is even if every single one of those complaints were sustained, the percentage of officers committing misconduct remains less than 1/2 of 1%. Multiply that number exponentially if you'd like to claim complaints are under-reported and it's still a fractional percentage. Phone Post 3.0

Didn't you post some numbers a while ago that showed it was more like 10%?

And in your mind, what is an acceptable percentage of cops who kidnap, rape, falsely imprison, and kill innocent people or people who they have no right to do any of those things to?  Please give me an actual number that you find to be an acceptable percentage. 

angryinch - 
IP - 
WidespreadPanic - 

Sorry man but he's right.  If the so called "good cops" really were good cops, you'd see cops arresting other cops on a daily basis.  You'd see entire departments threatening to walk out unless the bad cops are fired and arrested.  That never happens.  The percentage of genuinely good cops is very very low.  

AI, I'm retired so I don't really have a dog in this fight anymore....well, maybe a small dog.

Your statement, "The percentage of genuinely good cops is very very low," actually inverts the facts I've come to know during 25 years of work as a cop, in that the percentage of bad cops is very, very low, relatively speaking. By "bad," I mean unethical and/or immoral.

There are tens of thousands of cops working daily, and there are over a hundred - yes, over a hundred - warrants served by tactical teams daily in the US. Of all that activity, there's an extremely small number of "bad" cop examples. Mistakes? They absolutely occur...and some dumb boneheaded ones at that (I'm guilty of a few myself), but the numbers are still not near being significant or noticeable enough to cause a department wide, let along industrywide uprising.

As far as agencies policing their own, my experience is that PDs more often then not go overboard when disciplining staff. As a sergeant I experienced numerous ongoing exchanges during shift briefings where I had to put everyone at ease, that the PD was not "going after them" and that they'd be supported as long as they did their job. I'm sure there are some other cops out there who can support the fact that no cop feels comfortable around Internal Affairs investigators.

The typical complaint I received from the public about a cop was usually directly related to how the citizen felt they were treated crappily, and in most cases after reviewing all the facts and presenting them back to the citizen, they were understanding and the complaint was squashed. The big ones, excessive force, usually don't get filed the day of the event but come in later and go straight upstairs, and in many cases, the complainant has already contacted an attorney. These rarely happen but are a big deal when they do.

I could talk on this for hours because I feel pretty knowledgable in the area, but I don't want to beat a dead horse (and then have to plant a gun on said horse so I could get away with it).

In Phone Post 3.0

angryinch - 
Marge Gunderson - What you don't understand, AI, is even if every single one of those complaints were sustained, the percentage of officers committing misconduct remains less than 1/2 of 1%. Multiply that number exponentially if you'd like to claim complaints are under-reported and it's still a fractional percentage. Phone Post 3.0

And in your mind, what is an acceptable percentage of cops who kidnap, rape, falsely imprison, and kill innocent people or people who they have no right to do any of those things to?  Please give me an actual number that you find to be an acceptable percentage. 

I just saw this post so I'll address it too:

Cops who commit those types of crimes are extremely rare, and the ones who exist are rogue - because they know other cops wouldn't/couldn't tolerate that kind of behavior.

IP - 
angryinch - 

I just saw this post so I'll address it too:

Cops who commit those types of crimes are extremely rare, and the ones who exist are rogue - because they know other cops wouldn't/couldn't tolerate that kind of behavior.

Yep, other cops wouldn't tolerate that kind of behavior.  It's idiots like you with your head in the sand that have caused this to become an epidemic. 

How many cops were in the tactical team that arrested this cop for kidnapping?