Police trainer testifies Chauvin used unauthorized neck restraint on Floyd

Police trainer testifies Chauvin used unauthorized neck restraint on Floyd

By Jonathan Allen, Brendan O’Brien

5 MIN READ
MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) -The Minneapolis Police Department’s coordinator on the use of force told jurors on Tuesday the neck restraint applied by former policeman Derek Chauvin in the deadly arrest of George Floyd was unauthorized and that officers are trained to use the least amount of force necessary.

Prosecutors in Chauvin’s murder trial presented three department witnesses to try to show that he disregarded training on appropriate use of force, employing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and dealing with crisis situations when he knelt on Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes.

The handcuffed 46-year-old Black man fell limp and stopped breathing during the May 2020 arrest.

Lieutenant Johnny Mercil, who teaches the proper use of force for the department, was shown by one of the prosecutors a photograph of Chauvin using his knee to pin Floyd’s neck to the ground and was asked if the officer was using an authorized neck restraint under the circumstances.

“I would say no,” Lieutenant Mercil testified.

Chauvin, who is white, has pleaded not guilty to murder and manslaughter charges. Chauvin and three other officers were attempting to arrest Floyd on suspicion of using a fake $20 bill to buy cigarettes at a food store. The incident prompted protests in cities across the United States and around the world against racism and police brutality.

#ChauvinTrial Sgt Mercil asked if he can see the placement of Chauvin’s head? Yes. Another photo 1046, you can see Mr Chauvin’s knee between the shoulder blade of Mr Floyd? Yes Sir. Does this appear to be a neck restraint? No Sir”

4 Likes

The police should riot and burn down the hood if he is convicted. Maybe score some new 511 boots and some Christmas presents for the family

1 Like

Fucking media nonsense.

Has zero place in that article…

2 Likes

Media is working overtime to put some good riot fuel out there.

The “reporting” of this trial is as bad as I’ve ever seen, complete distortions and manipulation.

I refuse to read articles from imbeciles that uppercase Black and lowercase white.

That’s not acceptable.