Pontiac Grand Prix car help

Need smog ... Got this car for my son..

It has a code on it that says "mass or volume flow sensor A"

I know where and how to take this sensor off .... Can it be cleaned or what???

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L Phone Post 3.0

Just replace it. Phone Post 3.0

sewich - Just replace it. Phone Post 3.0
Ok I agree but it's like 110.$$ ... Yuck

So when I plug it in it will shut off .... "Engine maintenance " on the dash ?? Phone Post 3.0

Should I poop on it or suck my own dick Phone Post 3.0

If its the mass airflow sensor youre talking about, unplugging it will make the car run like shit. It's how your ecm knows how much air is coming in to add the right amount of fuel.

Clean it with sensor cleaner. Phone Post 3.0

lormpino -

So when I plug it in it will shut off .... "Engine maintenance " on the dash ?? Phone Post 3.0
Yeah but a faulty mass air flow sensor will leave you stranded which results in a tow charge that will most likely cost more not to mention the hassle of the whole experience.

You will have to reset the code. Phone Post 3.0

lormpino -

No. He meant replace the car. They're not reliable high mileage cars. Phone Post 3.0

fuzzislipperz -
lormpino -

No. He meant replace the car. They're not reliable high mileage cars. Phone Post 3.0
The 3.8 is a very reliable motor we'd are you talking about? I have a '01 bonneville that has 230k on it and still going strong. Phone Post 3.0

check the wiring to the sensor. i had that same sensor problem.

Braun187 - Clean it with sensor cleaner. Phone Post 3.0
Explain Phone Post 3.0

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=tu9kof0ljqu3tu7jurbaj0lo42

$25.00 at Rockauto.com

PN 5S2410 

lormpino - 
Explain Phone Post 3.0

Use rubbing alcohol.  Probably won't fix it but you never know.

Bad Monkey -

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=tu9kof0ljqu3tu7jurbaj0lo42

$25.00 at Rockauto.com

PN 5S2410 

Its the other one .... Mass air flow sensor .... Nice website!! Phone Post 3.0

lormpino -
Explain Phone Post 3.0
Buy a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner and spray it onto the sensor. Make sure to not touch the sensor. Also check for damaged wires to the sensor Phone Post 3.0

Bad Monkey -
lormpino - 
Explain Phone Post 3.0

Use rubbing alcohol.  Probably won't fix it but you never know.

It's easy to take off. I'd do this with a q tip. Phone Post 3.0

lormpino -
Explain Phone Post 3.0
They make mass air flow sensor cleaner. The MAF sensor will be on the intake of the car. Phone Post 3.0

You could always go to a pull your own parts junk yard.  The ones around here charge $2 to get in and $5.00 per sensor.  I used to go to these and grab two in case one of them was bad.

Disclaimer:  That was before I started OGing.  Now I just go buy a new car if my ride even so much as hiccups.

sewich - 
lormpino -

Yeah but a faulty mass air flow sensor will leave you stranded which results in a tow charge that will most likely cost more not to mention the hassle of the whole experience.

It won't leave you stranded, but it will stumble when accelerating and use a lot of gas.

Does the car run fine until it warms up? If so, unplug the coolant temp sensor and it will get you by until you replace the mass air meter. I had to do this on my father in laws 98 regal GS. We tried cleaning the mass air but it was bad. Code was something about low/no signal from maf. New one was $85 at vatozone.

White347LX -
sewich - 
lormpino -

It won't leave you stranded, but it will stumble when accelerating and use a lot of gas.

Does the car run fine until it warms up? If so, unplug the coolant temp sensor and it will get you by until you replace the mass air meter. I had to do this on my father in laws 98 regal GS. We tried cleaning the mass air but it was bad. Code was something about low/no signal from maf. New one was $85 at vatozone.
When my maf sensor went in my bonneville it would go past 20 mph and would die if I took my foot off the gas. I got it home because I was less than a mile away when it went but I defiantly wouldn't have drove it much further than I did in that state. Phone Post 3.0