Popovitch Challenges Josh Barnett

“We can’t let a guy who does catch-wrestling win a BJJ championship”

Pablo Popovitch has his reasons for defending the winners’ podium at the No-Gi Worlds as though it were his home. The inaugural year of the tournament, 2007, he was king of the middleweight category that had Daniel Moraes (Relson), Bill “The Grill” Cooper (Alliance) and Lucas Leite (Check Mat) as the runner-up and two third-place winners, respectively.

This year, though, Pablo wants to pick some bigger bones. Motivated by the under 77kg title he won at ADCC 2009, where he beat Marcelo Garcia in the waning moments of the match, the Brazilian living in Florida has already adjusted his sights for the absolute, on November 8, in the comely California State University pyramid gymnasium.

“My wish is to represent Jiu-Jitsu. Let’s see if we can catch Josh Barnett and that catch-wrestling of his,” he fired off to GRACIEMAG.com reporter Gabriel Menezes.

The provocation has the right address: first-timer Josh Barnett, a former UFC champion who showed up on the adult black belt competitor list as an ultra heavyweight. And he’ll surely show his face in the absolute.

Pablo is not intimidated: “Someone has to beat him and represent our Jiu-Jitsu. After all, we can’t let a guy who does catch-wrestling win the Jiu-Jitsu World Championship. I’m going to fight in the absolute and hope to put on a show. I’m feeling great, and my confidence is through the roof. One hundred percent of my game is mental and that helps a lot. I did a lot of preparations for ADCC 2009, and I’m still in my best shape.”

This year Popovitch will go in as a medium heavyweight. “I want to compete against different people and challenge myself. I’m weighing around 83kg and the guys will be bigger and stronger than me. I want to really test myself. Let’s see what happens,” said the founder of BJJ Center, in Fort Lauderdale. The fighter signed off praising the high level of the competitors in the tournament, like Romulo Barral, Otavio Sousa and Marcello Salazar.

Source: http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/ARTICLE/16226/2009-11-05.html

Go Pablo and Good Luck.

Kick some ass Pablo!!!!

WAR BARNETT

jk

i can't wait to see this. the ole catch wrasslin.

Sh&t !

I thought it was Gregg Popovitch

That's a lot to bite off, but if anyone can do it Pablo can.

Josh Barnett is a douche bag. He talks ALOT of shit and he fucks up his most important fight ever by juicing, most likely trying to get rid of his bitch tits. He must have insecurity issues.

Yes, juicing is always a great solution to eliminating teh bitch titties.

Popavich is not a small guy! He would be very undersized at Middle Heavy, the guy has got more muscle in his forearm than the whol division!

I really hope he wins this weekend.

Barnett by points.

I hope Josh will beat him and hurt him cacc style!! ;-)

Steroid-titty cheatin' bitch.

LMAO! Typical BJJer. Feels intimidated and disgusted that there would be any other style circulating but BJJ. Close minded at the top is no surprise. Too bad for PP he'll get tapped. Apparently his recent accomplishments have gone straight to his head. I hope Josh taps him with a fucking head scissors. Half of the Brazilian Jonestown Jiudo guys here will jump off local bridges and we'll have far less assholes on the board! Yay! 

I could never in my life, with words, express how much Pablo Popovitch kicked my ass when I rolled with him.

By the same taken, I rolled with Barnett once and he almost ripped my arm off and ate it, so this should be a good one if it goes down.

Tom Lawlor - I could never in my life, with words, express how much Pablo Popovitch kicked my ass when I rolled with him.

By the same taken, I rolled with Barnett once and he almost ripped my arm off and ate it, so this should be a good one if it goes down.

IT WAS TEH JUICE CAN'T YOU SEE!!?!?!?!?

PS. How squishy were Barnett's titties.

Whether Josh does well or does poorly, it's not going to mean anything about "BJJ vs Catch" since Josh trains under a BJJ black belt.

OctopusFighter - Whether Josh does well or does poorly, it's not going to mean anything about "BJJ vs Catch" since Josh trains under a BJJ black belt.
He does NOT train under, but trains WITH. Having said that I agree with you saying it doesn't mean anything. Even if Josh wins people will say he's really a BJJer anyway. Like any religious cult they will have a hard time dealing with reality and the fact that there are other groups out there.

FranklinFailedMe - He does NOT train under, but trains WITH.

Barnett has said that he trains under Erik Paulson many times. Paulson is a BJJ black belt and got his start training under Rorian in the 90's.

Kneeblock - 
fhk2 - Popavich is not a small guy! He would be very undersized at Middle Heavy, the guy has got more muscle in his forearm than the whol division!

I really hope he wins this weekend.
Yeah but Pop is a short guy.  When I've seen him he appeared 5'9-5'10 max.

He might be an 1" or 2" short for the division, but he has a very powerfull frame! Look at the Japanese Judo team, the shorter fat guys are awsome!