Popovitch Challenges Josh Barnett

this was taken out of context.....Pablo would never individually call a guy out like that...

OctopusFighter - 
FranklinFailedMe - He does NOT train under, but trains WITH.

Barnett has said that he trains under Erik Paulson many times. Paulson is a BJJ black belt and got his start training under Rorian in the 90's.

Pretty sure it was Yori Nakamura, a shooto guy he started with whose lineage goes back to the BJJ master Karl Gotch

FranklinFailedMe - LMAO! Typical BJJer. Feels intimidated and disgusted that there would be any other style circulating but BJJ. Close minded at the top is no surprise. Too bad for PP he'll get tapped. Apparently his recent accomplishments have gone straight to his head. I hope Josh taps him with a fucking head scissors. Half of the Brazilian Jonestown Jiudo guys here will jump off local bridges and we'll have far less assholes on the board! Yay! 

Head scissors has long been a very legit submission in Gracie Jiu Jitsu from Helio's very own curriculum. Do your homework son. Josh Barnett has been talksing sh!t abut BJJ FOR YEARS, much like Frank shamrock. I'd find it hilarious to see him repeatedly owned by a BJJ guy just for that just like Frank.

de braco - 
OctopusFighter - 

Barnett has said that he trains under Erik Paulson many times. Paulson is a BJJ black belt and got his start training under Rorian in the 90's.

Pretty sure it was Yori Nakamura, a shooto guy he started with whose lineage goes back to the BJJ master Karl Gotch

Paulson got his start in BJJ under Rorian. He got his start in grappling in Judo.

He did study under Nakamura, as well as Dan Inosanto, Ricco Chiparelli, and Rigan Machado. Certainly he has some catch wrestling in his background, as well as Judo, BJJ, and many other arts.

The fact remains that he is a BJJ black belt who Barnett trains under, so acting like Barnett vs Popovitch would prove anything about catch vs bjj is silly.

I'd love to see this match.

josh should challenge him to an mma fight

OctopusFighter - 
de braco - 
OctopusFighter - 

Paulson got his start in BJJ under Rorian. He got his start in grappling in Judo.

He did study under Nakamura, as well as Dan Inosanto, Ricco Chiparelli, and Rigan Machado. Certainly he has some catch wrestling in his background, as well as Judo, BJJ, and many other arts.

The fact remains that he is a BJJ black belt who Barnett trains under, so acting like Barnett vs Popovitch would prove anything about catch vs bjj is silly.

Are you serious?? Did you see Paulson on youtube? Are you educate enough to see his style?

Bernett himself say he's a cacc guy, but you surely know better than him...

I think this thread is getting a life of it's own. I've never heard Pablo brag or call people out, he is pretty reserved. As far as only a BJJ guy, he has brought in people of different arts ie. wrestlers,greco and worked very hard to make them part of his game.

IatskevichFightClub - 

Are you serious?? Did you see Paulson on youtube? Are you educate enough to see his style?

Paulson's style is a combination of many things, including catch, judo, bjj, and JKD grappling. He says so himself.

Claiming that Barnett beating Popovitch would be a "victory for catch" when Barnett trains under a BJJ black belt who incorporates BJJ as a major part of his style would be silly.

Haole - 
The age old 'Barnett is a BJJ fighter' troll (or real idiot?), lol, awesome, hadn't seen it in a few months.

It's awesomely epic, calling Barnett a BJJ fighter, its like when Hughes punched Royce in the head 50 times and thr Gracies declared a victory for JJ.

I never said Barnett was a BJJ fighter; perhaps you should learn to read.

Barnett is a submission grappler who has trained under both Hume and Paulson and trains alongside Jeff Monson and many other grapplers of varying styles; obviously his style has many influences and since he doesn't train with the gi and doesn't hold a belt in BJJ I wouldn't call him a "BJJ fighter". Nonetheless, when someone's primary trainer is a BJJ black belt who incorporates BJJ as a major part of their style, acting as though them beating a BJJ fighter would be a victory over BJJ or a victory for Catch is stupid. If Barnett beats Popovitch it will be a victory for Barnett, and a victory over Popovitch, not anything meaningful in a "style vs style" sense.

I remember Nakamura from the mid eighties,when exactly was the rorian enlightenment?

man josh will probably smash him imo

WAR BARNETT

OctopusFighter - 
Haole - 
The age old 'Barnett is a BJJ fighter' troll (or real idiot?), lol, awesome, hadn't seen it in a few months.

It's awesomely epic, calling Barnett a BJJ fighter, its like when Hughes punched Royce in the head 50 times and thr Gracies declared a victory for JJ.

I never said Barnett was a BJJ fighter; perhaps you should learn to read.

Barnett is a submission grappler who has trained under both Hume and Paulson and trains alongside Jeff Monson and many other grapplers of varying styles; obviously his style has many influences and since he doesn't train with the gi and doesn't hold a belt in BJJ I wouldn't call him a "BJJ fighter". Nonetheless, when someone's primary trainer is a BJJ black belt who incorporates BJJ as a major part of their style, acting as though them beating a BJJ fighter would be a victory over BJJ or a victory for Catch is stupid. If Barnett beats Popovitch it will be a victory for Barnett, and a victory over Popovitch, not anything meaningful in a "style vs style" sense.

Paulson style is submission wrestling aka cacc, yes he got a bjj bb, but his style and back ground is cacc.

Stop that non-sense.

It's a typical bjj way of thinking. The guy train 10 years of cacc, cross-train in bjj got his bb and all of sudent, he's not a cacc guy but a bjj guy...Funny.

Like i said, but you still dont want to accept it, Barnett himself say is a cacc guy.

Paulson academy is called CWS aka Combat Wrestling System, not bjj combat system or judo combat system...

stop trolling around.

lmao keep grasping.. It was nice talking with Paulson at Rigan's BJJ seminar. Yeah he go's to alot of those since he's a bjj BB and all.
Catch? Catch deez nuts!

IatskevichFightClub - 
Paulson style is submission wrestling aka cacc, yes he got a bjj bb, but his style and back ground is cacc.

Stop that non-sense.

It's a typical bjj way of thinking. The guy train 10 years of cacc, cross-train in bjj got his bb and all of sudent, he's not a cacc guy but a bjj guy...Funny.

"All of a sudden"? Paulson has been training BJJ since 1989.

Again, I never said Paulson was "a bjj guy". I said he's a BJJ black belt, which is true. I said that BJJ is a major part of his style, which he himself has said is true (and which should be obvious from the fact that he has a black belt in it and has studied it for over twenty years.)

Does Barnett know the rules of the IBJJF? No heel hooks, no twisting knee locks, no "racking the knee" no neck cranks - I predict he gets DQ'd in his first match.

Brian McLaughlin -  Does Barnett know the rules of the IBJJF? No heel hooks, no twisting knee locks, no "racking the knee" no neck cranks - I predict he gets DQ'd in his first match.

Yes, that is one of my concern. CACC rules are more open that ibjjf ones.

I dont think i will get dq, but he will lost a good part of his game.

You can always tell who has trained more than a day in their life when you read threads like these.

it wont matter now, i think pablo is out... sucks